• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GregR

GregR

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm curious to hear other folks' experiences with repositioning Bones models with heat. Tonight I took the Ghost and submerged in 150 degree water for 60 seconds, repositioned the now very flexible model into a much more 3D/dynamic pose outside of the linear plane it was cast in, and then submerged in ice water for 60 seconds. The model looked great, and even exhibited the same 'memory' like behavior to this new repositioned shape. But, after 8 hours, it has returned almost completely to the original positioning. The reversion was imperceptibly slow. So... not enough heat? not long enough? too ambitious a reposition?

#2 kit

kit

The fine line between stupid and clever

• Super Administrators
  • 10021 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

I admit I haven't tried this. When I needed to reposition an arm, I snipped and glued. Fast and easy with no real discernible cut along the joint.

“If you asked people in 1989 what they needed to make their life better, it was unlikely that they would have said that a decentralized network of information nodes that are linked using hypertext.” - Sep Kamvar

#3 Robby

Robby

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

I'm curious to hear other folks' experiences with repositioning Bones models with heat. Tonight I took the Ghost and submerged in 150 degree water for 60 seconds, repositioned the now very flexible model into a much more 3D/dynamic pose outside of the linear plane it was cast in, and then submerged in ice water for 60 seconds. The model looked great, and even exhibited the same 'memory' like behavior to this new repositioned shape. But, after 8 hours, it has returned almost completely to the original positioning. The reversion was imperceptibly slow. So... not enough heat? not long enough? too ambitious a reposition?

I haven't tried this with Bones, but with the old prepainted D&D Minis, after puting them in hot water and repositioning them, I put them in the freezer overnight. That worked much better than ice water for the DDMs.
  • thatguywiththeface likes this

#4 WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

Think you might need more time on both sides. I usually use tap water - which is somewhere around 150 degrees as well. When I bend the PVC - something like the flail on the gnoll takes about 60 seconds to heat all the way through. Remember, it is a very good insulator and you are attempting to do that. The time to heat it goes up by the square of the diameter (cross sectional areas and all that). Something like the ghost has a fair amount more plastic - so it would take a good bit more time to heat all the way through to the center. I'd need to poke at it some, but I would start with at least 3 or 4 minutes.

Once that is done - bend it past where you want it. This needs to be done because you aren't pushing putty...you are stretching a solid. The outside of the bend will want to pull and the inside of the bend will want to push. Once it hardens back up, it will bounce back a little.

After you get that done - you can dunk it in the ice water for about the same amount of time that you heated it.

#5 thatguywiththeface

thatguywiththeface

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

I haven't tried this with Bones, but with the old prepainted D&D Minis, after puting them in hot water and repositioning them, I put them in the freezer overnight. That worked much better than ice water for the DDMs.

ICE COLD MINIS! ICE COLD MINIS! GET YOUR REFRESHING ICE COLD MINIS HERE!
  • SunRaven01 likes this

Just because you're a gamer doesn't mean you have to smell like a dwarf

#6 Halberkill

Halberkill

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

The best vinyl minis for heat repositioning are wizkids minis, Bones have more plasticizer in them making them more flexible and less likely to break, but harder to heat reposition. What I have done with bones is to give them a wire frame, by drilling down the arm to be repositioned and then inserting a paperclip cut to the appropriate size. Then patch and bend.

Though if a cut and paste in a new position is possible, go with it, because it is much easier.

Halber

#7 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

I've had to do a couple repositions with a pair of Bones minis. I stuck the part in question in boiling water for 10 seconds, then ice cold water for 10 seconds. Worked for me both times.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bones, thermosetting, experiment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users