Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MonkeySloth

Iron Kindom's Ogrun Adventurer

11 posts in this topic

Finally got this guy done. Started this guy a little over 4 weeks ago, and is the only thing I've finished this summer which is a shame.

I really spent a lot of time on the face this time around, wanted to make sure that it looked good as that's generally the focal point of a miniature. Also tried out some MM painting techniques when doing NMM and I like the effect but it's a real pain to do. The armor looks a lot better then when I started, you can check to original in my WIP thread, as I learned some better highlighting techniques at Gencon this year (thanks to Rhonda and Wren for those).

The only part that I'm disappointed in is the base as the pigments I ordered have been sitting in processing limbo for 10 days and I was worried about using paints with the bricks I was using so I'm going to have to wait to finish that once the pigments ship.

As always C&C is welcome. Click for huge picture.

post-6838-0-17499300-1346561817_thumb.jpg

Edited by MonkeySloth
6 people like this

Seeing awesome work like this is always inspiring!

Reminds me how much room I have for improvement.

Beautiful. Your basing caught my eyes at first and then the subtle colors all around him. Unlike other warrior types,

somehow I thought he would have the scent of roses with light touch of iron, and red rose petals would fly in the air

when he swings his weapon. His face looks nice. His polearm(?) could benefit from a little more highlight maybe..?

Excellent work over all. : )

Thanks you two.

@obsidian I spent maybe 30 hours on him and I'm sure if you spent that much time on something it would look great too. The downside is I really only have one miniature painted over the past 3 months so it's what you want to get out of the hobby I guess.

@evergrin The NMM does need some improvement but that will just come with me doing more. You're comment about petals made me realize a little bit of leaves or petals on the base is what he's missing.

Man, he looks top notch! The blending are super smooth and the NMM are excellent, especially on the shoulder armor plates. It’s easy to see you’ve been spending a lot of time on it. I'm not familiar with the MM technique, can you give more details about it?

I have to say the Samurai concept is a nice idea too. I recently have the chance to see part of the Ann and Gabriel Barbier-Mueller’s Samurai collection at a museum. It was very informative and a real pleasure for the eyes.

I have a riddle for you! What does a Samurai do during times of peace?

Man, he looks top notch! The blending are super smooth and the NMM are excellent, especially on the shoulder armour plates. It’s easy to see you’ve been spending a lot of time on it. I'm not familiar with the MM technique, can you give more details about it?

I have to say the Samurai concept is a nice idea too. I recently have the chance to see part of the Ann and Gabriel Barbier-Mueller’s Samurai collection at a museum. It was very informative and a real pleasure for the eyes.

I have a riddle for you! What does a Samurai do during times of peace?

Thanks.

Here's the article on MM painting, it's fairly well known.

He prepares for war.

He stoled my line.

Yes! In fact, they perfected their art, martial art obviously but also armor improvement and calligraphy.

MonkeySloth oh I know my weakness is patience, its why I'm working on getting a quality speed painting method down. :)

I'm the exact opposite as every time I've sat down to try out speed painting I go crazy and end up just panting one figure.

Inspirational work as always!!! You're blending is just so good, and your effort on the face really shows! I personally like the look of the metal on his weapons, so don't mess with it too much. ::):