Sign in to follow this  
MonkeySloth

Iron Kindom's Ogrun Adventurer

Finally got this guy done. Started this guy a little over 4 weeks ago, and is the only thing I've finished this summer which is a shame.

I really spent a lot of time on the face this time around, wanted to make sure that it looked good as that's generally the focal point of a miniature. Also tried out some MM painting techniques when doing NMM and I like the effect but it's a real pain to do. The armor looks a lot better then when I started, you can check to original in my WIP thread, as I learned some better highlighting techniques at Gencon this year (thanks to Rhonda and Wren for those).

The only part that I'm disappointed in is the base as the pigments I ordered have been sitting in processing limbo for 10 days and I was worried about using paints with the bricks I was using so I'm going to have to wait to finish that once the pigments ship.

As always C&C is welcome. Click for huge picture.

post-6838-0-17499300-1346561817_thumb.jpg

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 6

Beautiful. Your basing caught my eyes at first and then the subtle colors all around him. Unlike other warrior types,

somehow I thought he would have the scent of roses with light touch of iron, and red rose petals would fly in the air

when he swings his weapon. His face looks nice. His polearm(?) could benefit from a little more highlight maybe..?

Excellent work over all. : )

Thanks you two.

@obsidian I spent maybe 30 hours on him and I'm sure if you spent that much time on something it would look great too. The downside is I really only have one miniature painted over the past 3 months so it's what you want to get out of the hobby I guess.

@evergrin The NMM does need some improvement but that will just come with me doing more. You're comment about petals made me realize a little bit of leaves or petals on the base is what he's missing.

Man, he looks top notch! The blending are super smooth and the NMM are excellent, especially on the shoulder armor plates. It’s easy to see you’ve been spending a lot of time on it. I'm not familiar with the MM technique, can you give more details about it?

I have to say the Samurai concept is a nice idea too. I recently have the chance to see part of the Ann and Gabriel Barbier-Mueller’s Samurai collection at a museum. It was very informative and a real pleasure for the eyes.

I have a riddle for you! What does a Samurai do during times of peace?

Man, he looks top notch! The blending are super smooth and the NMM are excellent, especially on the shoulder armour plates. It’s easy to see you’ve been spending a lot of time on it. I'm not familiar with the MM technique, can you give more details about it?

I have to say the Samurai concept is a nice idea too. I recently have the chance to see part of the Ann and Gabriel Barbier-Mueller’s Samurai collection at a museum. It was very informative and a real pleasure for the eyes.

I have a riddle for you! What does a Samurai do during times of peace?

Thanks.

Here's the article on MM painting, it's fairly well known.

He prepares for war.

He stoled my line.

Inspirational work as always!!! You're blending is just so good, and your effort on the face really shows! I personally like the look of the metal on his weapons, so don't mess with it too much. ::):

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sanael
      Well, I'm not actually painting anything at work today...because I'm not going to work today. Suffice to say, we tried a new Chinese restaurant the other day, and it has not gone well.

BUT! I posted a teaser in my last Lunch Sessions thread, and now I can go ahead and start this one. Prep work is done, so when I do get back into the office I can actually start laying paint. Here's what's going on this time around:

Privateer Press has just started their Minicrate program, a subscription-based monthly "crate" of, well, miniatures. They are all special edition minis available only through the crate subscription. When I saw the first mini they planned to release, I almost got a subscription before realizing I probably wouldn't care overmuch about most of the minis involved past the first...we'll see if I regret that decision later, but the good news is: @chaosscorpion did subscribe, and was willing to work out a trade for the Swamp Siren in exchange for a warlock for his fledgling Trollbloods army.

(if you care to see the mini in question, @Ghool just posted a really lovely painted version)

Chaosscorpion was good enough to send the Swamp Siren over already, so I have her waiting for the day I paint her up...I have plans to do a resin-water base for her eventually.

And I have procured and prepped Borka Kegslayer:

I do have one specific instruction for this fella: Tartan! Chaosscorpion also provided a specific family tartan for me to replicate:

Now, I've done a good bit of freehand, and a fair number of stripes, but never any actual plaid. So I decided I'd get some practice in first, which is where this preview pic comes in:

This is the backside of one of the new Wizkids Pathfinder unpainted line, from the "Merchants" set. By way of a quick review, these are cheap and nicely detailed. They are pre-prepped and pre-primed, and I was impressed with both the lack of mold lines (still a few, but nothing egregious. For NPCs or townsfolk I'm not too worried) and the complete coverage of the primer. I was surprised to find the primer was every bit as hydrophobic as bare Bonesium, but eventually I got a basecoat down.

I'm planning to paint her dress in plaid, using the Aitken tartan:

I chose this tartan because it has roughly the same pattern as Chaosscorpion's, although in different colors. It's likely I'm overthinking the process, but I want to be as accurate as I can when I get to the plaid on Borka.

So that's where I am at this point. I likely won't do any further painting until Wednesday (there's an office Halloween thing tomorrow), but I've got a bit of a start!
    • By Ghool
      One for my Patrons that is the first model from PP's Minicrate subscription model service.
      This one was a fun paint, and a pretty nice model. We'll see if they can maintain it!

• By wdmartin
      At GenCon I stopped by the Privateer Press booth and picked up a model called "The Wicked Harvest," which appears to be a sort of undead tree with accompanying temptress.  I have no idea what the lore of this critter is like in whatever game system it was designed for, but there's an undead tree coming up in my players' future, and this will do nicely!  Here are all the bits, partially assembled and primed with Tamiya Fine Primer.

Here's a slightly closer look at the tree:

This guy is made of grey resin, and came in seven pieces:

- the top left branch (on left)
       - a hangman's noose (on left branch)
       - the top right branch (on right)
       - a secondary branch for the right branch (attached)
       - a secondary branch for the left branch (attached to the side of his head)
       - a left arm
       - a right arm
       - the trunk

This guy is dangerous.  He's already drawn blood!  Specifically I jabbed my finger pretty well with an exacto knife while cleaning some flash off him.  Ouch.

I've opted to paint the upper branches separately because I think it would have been exceptionally difficult to do it properly with everything fully assembled.  I didn't pin the pieces in place, but the attachment spots are sufficiently large that I'm not too concerned about it.  Plenty of surface area there for a strong join.

And here is his temptress friend.

According to the stock photo on the box, these two are a matched pair and designed to be based and treated as a single unit.  But I have no need to keep 'em as a pair, so she gets her own base.  This one is from Micro Arts Studio -- a 25 mm one from their Ancient line.  I have found these particular bases from Micro Arts Studio difficult to use.  They've got a lot of interesting detail, but there's precious little room to actually attach a figure.  I had to remove a "loose brick" from this one in order for the lady to have enough space to stand.  But she does fit, so yay.

The apple basket came with the Wicked Harvest kit.  I pinned it to one of the two bits of rubble here.

And now that they're primed, I have found more mold lines.  Yaaaay.
    • By aku-chan
      I held out for almost 5 days before I could no longer resist starting something from my Grymkin starter set.

Wasn't sure what I wanted to paint, but a bit of dice rolling randomly selected the Skin and Moans Warbeast:-

The Internet has lied to me though.
      According to an un-boxing video I watched, I should've been able to assemble the whole starter set in about 3 hours, but it took me 2 hours to do just this one guy.
    • By Ghool
      Couple things for Patrons:

Anson Durst:

Zaal:

• Who's Online   34 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)