23 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Dead Bard Miniatures
Hi all, after much lurking I've decided to post some of my minis I technically posted once before but I just realized looking at the old post that it was over a year ago!
I'm really going to have to pick up my painting rate given that another bones pledge is about to be delivered!
So I can definitely tell I like painting the bad guys better than the PC characters, probably due to spending too much time DMing. Anyway, here's some recent ones I painted. As always feedback is appreciated!
First a couple beastmen from the Warlord line:
How about a golem and some undead as tomb guardians? I diced up a skeleton into the base of the bone fiend too. You can kind of see the boot.
I have painted some character figures as well recently. Here's a few Elves with an Halfling. I need to work on my faces more though. Humanoid faces are so much flatter than monsters'. Anyone have any tips for varying humanoid flesh or adding details to faces that that sculp might not define well? Thanks! Much appreciated!
So, I've dug out a mini to paint up for the same Hobby Hangout contest that Ub3r is entering. Flying Frog Games' Shadows of Brimstone: Guardian of Targa. We all know how bad I suck at keeping up WIPs, but I'll try to post as I go.
This is what it looks like:
I'm kidding. It's the guy on the left, here:
I've just finished cleaning and assembling mine, and as you can see, I had to do some filling on the base...which I tried to cover up with some bits, since I can't sculpt.
It's on a Secret Weapon Trash base, 60mm, beveled. (Bleh for beveled edge bases, but it's all I had that fits the theme I'm going for.) As you can see in the tags, I'm going to be doing some heavy weathering and some OSL in this project. Stay tuned.
Gauntfield, Necropolis Hero
Yup, another WIP. Gauntfield has been in my kit for years. He has received most of the excess green stuff from everything I've ever built. I wanted the scarecrow to be standing behind a tree trunk, gnarled and dead for many years. So I started out by applying him to a base that filled the space up to his feet on the slot bottom he had and built the basis for his tree.
As you can see, I used two skewer pieces as the center posts and set the "fork" of the tree I was looking for.
Then I placed terrarium rocks around it to fill out the bottom of the trunk.
Then over the years I scraped on any excess green stuff I had from projects.
Tonight's effort was the eye of my Undead Dwarf. A very tiny amount of green stuff. Which is a little hard to mix and create at that size. It was smaller than a pin head. So the remainder went around one of the upright trunks from the tree of Gauntfield.
Then after some thought on my efforts to create a bark exterior I decided the whole tree needed a skin and fill of some of the unnatural sections of green stuff. So I got out my green putty and went to town on the surface of the tree. I had primed the scarecrow and tree earlier so I just went right over that.
You'll notice that the "skin" added is a bit rough. I'll go over it in a bit and clean it up once it's set a bit more.
If I like the appearance of it, I will prime that and move on. If not, I will go over that a more until I am happy.
Green putty is also a great product to smooth over a surface. So I made some of the sand around Gauntfield smooth with the putty while I was working the tree.
Green putty dries really quick so within a few minutes I can sand the surface of it with my thumb or stiff brush. I have an old toothbrush for this.
So, here's a second skim of "bark" with the Green Putty. I cut off the excess bamboo skewers and created a branch collar on each end where the trunks would get overgrown with the bark.
Just below the saddle of the two trunks, I added a third trunk that has broken off and left a branch collar using the Green Putty.
You can see that I "sanded" some of the skin and added more.
This was sculpted by Admiral over at Chaos Dwarfs online (he's ebaying copies in the event anyone is interested). This is on a 40mm base, and is the "fire" version. The other version is dismembering a goblin (not my thing, but both sets come with the Golem). This was a "speed" paint, taking only about 5 hours, including the glow effect. I could push it further, but I stopped when I thought it looked right to my eye. The base is 40mm using cork with a Happy Seppuku base over it into Procreate. The lava is liquitex matte medium layered until the base texture was less visible.
The white dots on the staff and that show up on the arm are not there in real life, not sure what the camera was doing, but otherwise this is exact to real life.
Who's Online 10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)