psyberwolfe1

03204: Battleguard Golem

23 posts in this topic

My Battleguard Golem C&C welcome and appreciated

post-4006-0-51176600-1346631574_thumb.jpgpost-4006-0-56753800-1346631597_thumb.jpg

post-4006-0-46179100-1346631632_thumb.jpgpost-4006-0-14361900-1346631685_thumb.jpg

9 people like this

Nice!

Love seein old school metal paint. One reason what drew me into miniature painting in the first place... Citadels & Ral Parthas metalics, ahhh the memories ^_^

I like the way the eyes glows and the steel turned out very good, worn and grubby just as it should for a Golem.

I love the metal work, the only bit of the model I am not certain about is the face but that's just my taste.

Nice job! Just a personal preference for me, but I'm not overly fond of minis that end up being predominantly a single color. So just to add a bit of character, maybe a few rust spots or "chinks in the armor" to give it a battle tested feel?

psyberwolfe1 - for me the "nose" and "mouth" parts do not meet the standard of the rest of the miniature.

I've got this guy in my paint que!

I like what you've done, especially the sword (beautiful job on the gem! also the one on his back, just superb), but I have to agree with ObsidianCrane -- the face detracts from the overall model. I think it's your color choice; the golds on the brow and chin just over-emphasize those features and make them too prominent. The head should probably be one color, either gold or steel, but not both. I'd personally go for steel, just to keep it consistent.

Great Metallics. Can't get enough of those when done correctly and yours are done very well.

I think the problem people are having with the face, outside of those that just don't care for the sculpt, is you're miniature isn't very balanced color wise. You've got golds and blues on the top 1/3 but nothing on the rest of the miniature which is just a neutral color. Also that sword is just grabbing my visual attention to the point it's hard to look elsewhere in the first picture.

There should be some gold trim all over this guy along the edges of the plates or at least the rivets should be painted up gold.

For the blue, not really sure what you could do to balance that outside of using blue in the shading of your metal and rocks.

Even if you added rust, as was suggested, that just adds in oranges, reds and purples to the mix and doesn't do much to offest the stong blues and yellows.

Overall the contrast is great with the blues and grays, the gems turned out great, but the gold is also a bit spotty in places as it doesn't highlight up as bright as the rest of the figure.

I'd tend to agree with the comments about the face. With the gold as it is, the head looks like it belongs on a different body.

I love the demimetallics you've used (or semimetallics? Never sure which term applies to this technique); they look quite nice. But if you like the gold scheme, I would at least make those rivets gold. If this guy is meant to be used as a warforged, rather than a non-sentient golem, I would suggest freehanding some gold borders and inscriptions onto the plating in keeping with the flavor of that race.

Good gemstones never get old; those are really well done.

Very nice. I prefer true mettalics over nmm but that may be mainly due to not really knowing how to do nmm yet :)

Something to break up the steel a bit would help the model I think.

I am not sure I agree with the folks that stated that you need the color flow. I would agree if this were a contest mini, but for gaming or just your personal display, I think you paint what feels right. In reality, there could be a person wearing a decorative helm with standard plate. I also believe that if the armor is darkened it could lend us to believe that the gold could be darkened too. Just look at the mini in hand and if you like it, then you have done a good job. I personally would think he would look great on display and could be pretty imposing on the battlefield.