psyberwolfe1

03204: Battleguard Golem

23 posts in this topic

My Battleguard Golem C&C welcome and appreciated

post-4006-0-51176600-1346631574_thumb.jpgpost-4006-0-56753800-1346631597_thumb.jpg

post-4006-0-46179100-1346631632_thumb.jpgpost-4006-0-14361900-1346631685_thumb.jpg

9 people like this

Nice!

Love seein old school metal paint. One reason what drew me into miniature painting in the first place... Citadels & Ral Parthas metalics, ahhh the memories ^_^

I like the way the eyes glows and the steel turned out very good, worn and grubby just as it should for a Golem.

I love the metal work, the only bit of the model I am not certain about is the face but that's just my taste.

Nice job! Just a personal preference for me, but I'm not overly fond of minis that end up being predominantly a single color. So just to add a bit of character, maybe a few rust spots or "chinks in the armor" to give it a battle tested feel?

psyberwolfe1 - for me the "nose" and "mouth" parts do not meet the standard of the rest of the miniature.

I've got this guy in my paint que!

I like what you've done, especially the sword (beautiful job on the gem! also the one on his back, just superb), but I have to agree with ObsidianCrane -- the face detracts from the overall model. I think it's your color choice; the golds on the brow and chin just over-emphasize those features and make them too prominent. The head should probably be one color, either gold or steel, but not both. I'd personally go for steel, just to keep it consistent.

Great Metallics. Can't get enough of those when done correctly and yours are done very well.

I think the problem people are having with the face, outside of those that just don't care for the sculpt, is you're miniature isn't very balanced color wise. You've got golds and blues on the top 1/3 but nothing on the rest of the miniature which is just a neutral color. Also that sword is just grabbing my visual attention to the point it's hard to look elsewhere in the first picture.

There should be some gold trim all over this guy along the edges of the plates or at least the rivets should be painted up gold.

For the blue, not really sure what you could do to balance that outside of using blue in the shading of your metal and rocks.

Even if you added rust, as was suggested, that just adds in oranges, reds and purples to the mix and doesn't do much to offest the stong blues and yellows.

Overall the contrast is great with the blues and grays, the gems turned out great, but the gold is also a bit spotty in places as it doesn't highlight up as bright as the rest of the figure.

I'd tend to agree with the comments about the face. With the gold as it is, the head looks like it belongs on a different body.

I love the demimetallics you've used (or semimetallics? Never sure which term applies to this technique); they look quite nice. But if you like the gold scheme, I would at least make those rivets gold. If this guy is meant to be used as a warforged, rather than a non-sentient golem, I would suggest freehanding some gold borders and inscriptions onto the plating in keeping with the flavor of that race.

Good gemstones never get old; those are really well done.

Very nice. I prefer true mettalics over nmm but that may be mainly due to not really knowing how to do nmm yet :)

Something to break up the steel a bit would help the model I think.

I am not sure I agree with the folks that stated that you need the color flow. I would agree if this were a contest mini, but for gaming or just your personal display, I think you paint what feels right. In reality, there could be a person wearing a decorative helm with standard plate. I also believe that if the armor is darkened it could lend us to believe that the gold could be darkened too. Just look at the mini in hand and if you like it, then you have done a good job. I personally would think he would look great on display and could be pretty imposing on the battlefield.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dead Bard Miniatures
      Hi all, after much lurking I've decided to post some of my minis  I technically posted once before but I just realized looking at the old post that it was over a year ago!
      I'm really going to have to pick up my painting rate given that another bones pledge is about to be delivered!  
      So I can definitely tell I like painting the bad guys better than the PC characters, probably due to spending too much time DMing. Anyway, here's some recent ones I painted. As always feedback is appreciated!

First a couple beastmen from the Warlord line:

How about a golem and some undead as tomb guardians? I diced up a skeleton into the base of the bone fiend too. You can kind of see the boot.

I have painted some character figures as well recently. Here's a few Elves with an Halfling. I need to work on my faces more though. Humanoid faces are so much flatter than monsters'. Anyone have any tips for varying humanoid flesh or adding details to faces that that sculp might not define well? Thanks! Much appreciated!

• By dsmiles
      So, I've dug out a mini to paint up for the same Hobby Hangout contest that Ub3r is entering. Flying Frog Games' Shadows of Brimstone: Guardian of Targa. We all know how bad I suck at keeping up WIPs, but I'll try to post as I go.

This is what it looks like:

I'm kidding. It's the guy on the left, here:

I've just finished cleaning and assembling mine, and as you can see, I had to do some filling on the base...which I tried to cover up with some bits, since I can't sculpt.

It's on a Secret Weapon Trash base, 60mm, beveled. (Bleh for beveled edge bases, but it's all I had that fits the theme I'm going for.) As you can see in the tags, I'm going to be doing some heavy weathering and some OSL in this project. Stay tuned.
    • By Werewolvians
      I wasn't sure if those were guts and veins or branches and vines... so I just went with guts.

• By Thrym
      Gauntfield, Necropolis Hero

Yup, another WIP.  Gauntfield has been in my kit for years.  He has received most of the excess green stuff from everything I've ever built.  I wanted the scarecrow to be standing behind a tree trunk, gnarled and dead for many years.  So I started out by applying him to a base that filled the space up to his feet on the slot bottom he had and built the basis for his tree.

As you can see, I used two skewer pieces as the center posts and set the "fork" of the tree I was looking for.

Then I placed terrarium rocks around it to fill out the bottom of the trunk.

Then over the years I scraped on any excess green stuff I had from projects.

Tonight's effort was the eye of my Undead Dwarf.  A very tiny amount of green stuff.  Which is a little hard to mix and create at that size.  It was smaller than a pin head.   So the remainder went around one of the upright trunks from the tree of Gauntfield.

Then after some thought on my efforts to create a bark exterior I decided the whole tree needed a skin and fill of some of the unnatural sections of green stuff.  So I got out my green putty and went to town on the surface of the tree.  I had primed the scarecrow and tree earlier so I just went right over that.

You'll notice that the "skin" added is a bit rough.  I'll go over it in a bit and clean it up once it's set a bit more.

If I like the appearance of it, I will prime that and move on.  If not, I will go over that a more until I am happy.

Green putty is also a great product to smooth over a surface.  So I made some of the sand around Gauntfield smooth with the putty while I was working the tree.

Green putty dries really quick so within a few minutes I can sand the surface of it with my thumb or stiff brush.  I have an old toothbrush for this.

So, here's a second skim of "bark" with the Green Putty.  I cut off the excess bamboo skewers and created a branch collar on each end where the trunks would get overgrown with the bark.

Just below the saddle of the two trunks, I added a third trunk that has broken off and left a branch collar using the Green Putty.

You can see that I "sanded" some of the skin and added more.

Stay tuned.
    • By Darkmeer
      This was sculpted by Admiral over at Chaos Dwarfs online (he's ebaying copies in the event anyone is interested).  This is on a 40mm base, and is the "fire" version.  The other version is dismembering a goblin (not my thing, but both sets come with the Golem).  This was a "speed" paint, taking only about 5 hours, including the glow effect.  I could push it further, but I stopped when I thought it looked right to my eye.  The base is 40mm using cork with a Happy Seppuku base over it into Procreate.  The lava is liquitex matte medium layered until the base texture was less visible.

The white dots on the staff and that show up on the arm are not there in real life, not sure what the camera was doing, but otherwise this is exact to real life.

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)