• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

My Battleguard Golem C&C welcome and appreciated

IronGolem1.jpg IronGolem1-1.jpg
IronGolem2.jpg IronGolem2-2.jpg
  • Wren, buglips*the*goblin, evergrin and 6 others like this

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#2 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12849 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

Nice!

Love seein old school metal paint. One reason what drew me into miniature painting in the first place... Citadels & Ral Parthas metalics, ahhh the memories ^_^
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#3 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

I like the way the eyes glows and the steel turned out very good, worn and grubby just as it should for a Golem.

#4 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11217 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

Exceptional!

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#5 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Thanks! I enjoyed painting him.

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#6 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2996 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

I love the metal work, the only bit of the model I am not certain about is the face but that's just my taste.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#7 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

If you don't mind what aren't you crazy about?

Meep.jpg

#8 Dan d'Lyon

Dan d'Lyon

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 915 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Nice job! Just a personal preference for me, but I'm not overly fond of minis that end up being predominantly a single color. So just to add a bit of character, maybe a few rust spots or "chinks in the armor" to give it a battle tested feel?

#9 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2996 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

psyberwolfe1 - for me the "nose" and "mouth" parts do not meet the standard of the rest of the miniature.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#10 Gailbraithe

Gailbraithe

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

I've got this guy in my paint que!

I like what you've done, especially the sword (beautiful job on the gem! also the one on his back, just superb), but I have to agree with ObsidianCrane -- the face detracts from the overall model. I think it's your color choice; the golds on the brow and chin just over-emphasize those features and make them too prominent. The head should probably be one color, either gold or steel, but not both. I'd personally go for steel, just to keep it consistent.

#11 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Great Metallics. Can't get enough of those when done correctly and yours are done very well.

#12 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5699 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

I think the problem people are having with the face, outside of those that just don't care for the sculpt, is you're miniature isn't very balanced color wise. You've got golds and blues on the top 1/3 but nothing on the rest of the miniature which is just a neutral color. Also that sword is just grabbing my visual attention to the point it's hard to look elsewhere in the first picture.

There should be some gold trim all over this guy along the edges of the plates or at least the rivets should be painted up gold.

For the blue, not really sure what you could do to balance that outside of using blue in the shading of your metal and rocks.

Even if you added rust, as was suggested, that just adds in oranges, reds and purples to the mix and doesn't do much to offest the stong blues and yellows.

Overall the contrast is great with the blues and grays, the gems turned out great, but the gold is also a bit spotty in places as it doesn't highlight up as bright as the rest of the figure.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#13 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2257 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

I'd tend to agree with the comments about the face. With the gold as it is, the head looks like it belongs on a different body.

I love the demimetallics you've used (or semimetallics? Never sure which term applies to this technique); they look quite nice. But if you like the gold scheme, I would at least make those rivets gold. If this guy is meant to be used as a warforged, rather than a non-sentient golem, I would suggest freehanding some gold borders and inscriptions onto the plating in keeping with the flavor of that race.

Good gemstones never get old; those are really well done.

Index of my Show-Off minis.

WiP threads:
My Legion of Everblight. Painted: 54 points, 2 Warlocks. Owned: 157 points, 3 Warlocks.

Odd Animals WiP. RP Couatl, DSM Frog Prince, GW/Marauder/Necromunda Milliasaur
Mice & Mystics

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#14 BlackWraith

BlackWraith

• Bones Supporter
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

Very nice. I prefer true mettalics over nmm but that may be mainly due to not really knowing how to do nmm yet :)

Something to break up the steel a bit would help the model I think.

#15 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

I am not sure I agree with the folks that stated that you need the color flow. I would agree if this were a contest mini, but for gaming or just your personal display, I think you paint what feels right. In reality, there could be a person wearing a decorative helm with standard plate. I also believe that if the armor is darkened it could lend us to believe that the gold could be darkened too. Just look at the mini in hand and if you like it, then you have done a good job. I personally would think he would look great on display and could be pretty imposing on the battlefield.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Psyberwolfe, Golem, Battleguard, Iron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users