• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#1 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9308 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

I have a few odds and ends to take care of, but then I'll finish my sorely-neglected current WIPs. (sorry, sorry . . . y'know, life and stuff).

Anyway, since the kickstarter I've noticed a lot of new faces around here and a lot of freshly minted newcomers (and a few old hands returning to battle). Many people seem to be interested in learning to paint.

Now, usually it's just a matter of providing some tips, and tutorials, and whatnot to set them on their way. But I was thinking that maybe what might be more fun is if a bunch of us, of various skill levels new and not so new alike, all got our mitts on the same miniature and did a group WIP. That way the new folks are getting their brushtime in, and at the same time they're working on the project they get to see how other people approach the very same mini and the wide array of techniques and results that happen.

Does this sound cool to anybody else? It sounds like fun to me, and the quickest and easiest way to show how much fun, variety, and coolness the hobby holds. I'd totally be down for some of this (we ought to make it a Reaper mini, though, maybe DHL or Bones? And affordable so it's accessible)
  • klarg1 likes this

Current Bones Count:  Total:  awaiting recount  Painted:  132

#2 cloudshaper2k

cloudshaper2k

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Perhaps we should do this when the KS minis come in? We all pick one of the Bones to paint up and post our WIP pics?
  • Leopardpixie and Adrift like this

#3 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9308 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

Sure, but that's like 7 months away. This doesn't need to be a one-shot deal, but I was thinking it might be handy to do something like this in the meantime. For practice for when the Bones arrive, and also to keep us from getting bored waiting . . . and waiting . . .

#4 JackMann

JackMann

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1245 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

How about the Bones Ogre chieftain? Nice, big figure to make it a little easier to get the details down, but still fairly cheap.

#5 Kay

Kay

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

That sounds great (as one of the old hands returning to battle). I have a table full of minis that are all getting painted (yeah, I can't do just one or two at a time) but I'd love to paint along side some of the pros. It would be wonderful if a bunch of others would join in as well.
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.

#6 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4648 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

If I allready have the miniature, and can work in the time for painting it, I'd join in.

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

New: Sculpting and Painting Rocks | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#7 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2833 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

I have the Bones Ogre Chieften, Minotaur, Bugbear and Dwarf all sitting in my project pile so I'm good with any of those miniatures.

I have rebased the dwarf and will be doing the same for the Ogre & Minotaurs however.

I guess I fit in the "old hand with room to improve" category. (I also understand my main gap in quality is more patience than necassarily technique.)

Perhaps we could do a few projects, aiming to build up the complexity of the techniques used?

Incidently there is a great example of this sort of thing over on the Studio McVey forums, where Ali McVey provides the technique advice and community members paint along and post images of their progress to get feedback and improve.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#8 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

It’s sound like a very good idea to me. Specially when the pile of Bones will come crushing on my table. Then, I’ll suggest starting with the basic ones like the Vermin, Goblins and the Undead Horde. This way, we can start with simple models to paint and low level encounters for adventurers to fight with.

I don’t have Bones to join the first Group WIP now, but it will be interesting to follow any GWIP.

#9 Lastman

Lastman

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

Good idea.

Pick a figure soon so we have time to order and receive it.

The Halloween 2012 contest is going to happen soon too, so maybe kill 2 birds with 1 stone and pick something that would suit the holiday.
  • buglips*the*goblin likes this

#10 Exwilly

Exwilly

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

working on some bones miniatures also. so im game for any.
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#11 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9308 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'm cool with the Ogre Chieftan. He's in metal and in bones, so I guess either would be good.

When do we want to do this? I'll have to mailorder from Reaper either way, so it'll be about 2 weeks before I can get one.

I like the halloween idea, Lastman, except that there would be a lot of the same mini entered into the contest. Be like 1 catsuit sophie, a rotpatch golem, and then like fifty Elise, Witch. :-p

#12 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3986 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

I vote Ogre Chieftain. Sweet mini.

Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com 

#13 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9308 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'm going to do the metal version so that I can add him to my collection shelf. I might add his Bones counterpart, too, so as to have one for gaming (and to test Bones, I've never worked with them).

Then I'll fill the rest of my minimum for free shipping with skeletons!

#14 Arkayn

Arkayn

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'd be interest in joining as well. I consider myself basic to slightly above basic. I have basecoating and drybrushing mostly down. I've been working on painting up some GW Orks and am having problems with skin tones and layering, so that's where I can work on. Haven't even attempted eyes yet. I'll go with whatever the consensus is, just give enough notice, so I can order the mini and get it here.
That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

2012 Painted Mini Status

Reaper Miniatures: 3

Games Workshop: 0

Darksword Miniatures:0

Other: 0

Wall of shame: Too Many

#15 siliconjedi

siliconjedi

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

If they have the Ogre Chieftain at my FLGS I'll be in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users