DrakeSpirit

Swords and Wizardry

43 posts in this topic

So has anyone played this game? Would it be comparable to the earlier editions of D&D?

Why not take a look at http://www.d20swsrd.com (or alternatively, http://www.swordsNwizardry.com) and see for yourself? The Complete rules are now online in SRD (online rules reference) form by request from Frog God Games. Take a gander and if you like it start playing and then pick up a few of the awesome Frog God Games products designed for the system.

--John Reyst

http://www.d20swsrd.com (and http://www.d20pfsrd.com)

I have...it is absolutely fantastic. Far and away the best OD&D clone available in my opinion.

What we are getting is a pdf of the "complete rules" which are equivalent to OD&D 1st edition (3 LBB + supplements). I have been doing a lot with.their "core rules" as of late (contains only SOME of the supplement materials) and been loving it.

It is a great system with good materials available and an active online community. I highly recommend giving this a play...just keep in mind it IS OD&D. Characters will most likely die, or at least have a tough go of it in the early levels!

I have...it is absolutely fantastic. Far and away the best OD&D clone available in my opinion.

What we are getting is a pdf of the "complete rules" which are equivalent to OD&D 1st edition (3 LBB + supplements). I have been doing a lot with.their "core rules" as of late (contains only SOME of the supplement materials) and been loving it.

It is a great system with good materials available and an active online community. I highly recommend giving this a play...just keep in mind it IS OD&D. Characters will most likely die, or at least have a tough go of it in the early levels!

That's cool. Must check this out.

What they said above, but better edited, and more tightly written, easier to understand. The ODD boxed set was a mess.

Yeah, it took them rather a while to get organized. When you played Old School, you had to work for it. Uphill both ways to school, and all that.

Yeah, it took them rather a while to get organized. When you played Old School, you had to work for it. Uphill both ways to school, and all that.

I played 2nd ed for quite a while so if this is anything like that im really excited about it. I think I still remember some of the rules

When do we get the PDFs?

1 person likes this

I played 2nd ed for quite a while so if this is anything like that im really excited about it. I think I still remember some of the rules

Just think? I had the rules so memorized my players thought I wrote the books. Of course I bought them in elementary school and read them cover to cover several times each before finally getting a group together in middle school...

Sigh... I miss the all night gaming sessions... C.c

1 person likes this

Just think? I had the rules so memorized my players thought I wrote the books. Of course I bought them in elementary school and read them cover to cover several times each before finally getting a group together in middle school...

Sigh... I miss the all night gaming sessions... C.c

Im currently in school for engineering and like you I spent a good part of middle school playing 2nd ed, the only problem is now its a bit further away than I would care to admit,

Im sure it will all come flooding back in no time once I get my grubby mits on the PDFs

What they said above, but better edited, and more tightly written, easier to understand. The ODD boxed set was a mess.

You only say that because you do not appreciate unexplained acronyms.... ::P:

Yeah, I had the old beige box. It was very much an amateur effort, for both good and ill. The basic idea was sound, but the production quality.... I got it from an advertisement for A Change of Hobbit, in F&SF*, back in the day.

I ran my first game in 1976.

The Auld Grump

* Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine.

Im currently in school for engineering and like you I spent a good part of middle school playing 2nd ed, the only problem is now its a bit further away than I would care to admit,

Im sure it will all come flooding back in no time once I get my grubby mits on the PDFs

Further away that you care to admit? Comment on age? I'm roughly a year older than you, and it doesn't seem like that long ago hehe.

Then again, my fiance seems to think I'm 2, so maybe my own view of my age is a bit skewed...

In my opinion Sword and Wizardry is one of the more organized revisions of the oldest material, but personaly my favourite edition of D&D is the Anderson / Metzen firt two boxes (red and blue) simpler and created even for unexperienced players.

Regarding Sword and Wizardy I red the old free version create by Mythmeregames.com finding it interesting enough and I am curios by the new digital edition included in the kickstarter, I hope it has a better graphic.

Regarding Sword and Wizardy I red the old free version create by Mythmeregames.com finding it interesting enough and I am curios by the new digital edition included in the kickstarter, I hope it has a better graphic.

The Frog God Games version (S&W Complete) has art from the Necromancer Games portfolio, so it is very good art.

Izat why my boxed set came with snow in it?