• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 DrakeSpirit

DrakeSpirit

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

So has anyone played this game? Would it be comparable to the earlier editions of D&D?
I kept wondering why then frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me

#2 jreyst

jreyst

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

Why not take a look at http://www.d20swsrd.com (or alternatively, http://www.swordsNwizardry.com) and see for yourself? The Complete rules are now online in SRD (online rules reference) form by request from Frog God Games. Take a gander and if you like it start playing and then pick up a few of the awesome Frog God Games products designed for the system.

--John Reyst
http://www.d20swsrd.com (and http://www.d20pfsrd.com)

#3 kevinm

kevinm

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

I have...it is absolutely fantastic. Far and away the best OD&D clone available in my opinion.

What we are getting is a pdf of the "complete rules" which are equivalent to OD&D 1st edition (3 LBB + supplements). I have been doing a lot with.their "core rules" as of late (contains only SOME of the supplement materials) and been loving it.

It is a great system with good materials available and an active online community. I highly recommend giving this a play...just keep in mind it IS OD&D. Characters will most likely die, or at least have a tough go of it in the early levels!

#4 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6614 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

I have...it is absolutely fantastic. Far and away the best OD&D clone available in my opinion.

What we are getting is a pdf of the "complete rules" which are equivalent to OD&D 1st edition (3 LBB + supplements). I have been doing a lot with.their "core rules" as of late (contains only SOME of the supplement materials) and been loving it.

It is a great system with good materials available and an active online community. I highly recommend giving this a play...just keep in mind it IS OD&D. Characters will most likely die, or at least have a tough go of it in the early levels!

That's cool. Must check this out.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#5 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Action Scientist

• Members
  • 4244 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

What they said above, but better edited, and more tightly written, easier to understand. The ODD boxed set was a mess.

I don't look like Haldir's avatar, either

#6 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12353 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Yeah, it took them rather a while to get organized. When you played Old School, you had to work for it. Uphill both ways to school, and all that.
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#7 DrakeSpirit

DrakeSpirit

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, it took them rather a while to get organized. When you played Old School, you had to work for it. Uphill both ways to school, and all that.

I played 2nd ed for quite a while so if this is anything like that im really excited about it. I think I still remember some of the rules

#8 Ithaqua

Ithaqua

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 475 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

When do we get the PDFs?
  • Ursha&NoAkei likes this

#9 Atramagus

Atramagus

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

I played 2nd ed for quite a while so if this is anything like that im really excited about it. I think I still remember some of the rules

Just think? I had the rules so memorized my players thought I wrote the books. Of course I bought them in elementary school and read them cover to cover several times each before finally getting a group together in middle school...

Sigh... I miss the all night gaming sessions... C.c
  • DrakeSpirit likes this

#10 DrakeSpirit

DrakeSpirit

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Just think? I had the rules so memorized my players thought I wrote the books. Of course I bought them in elementary school and read them cover to cover several times each before finally getting a group together in middle school...

Sigh... I miss the all night gaming sessions... C.c

Im currently in school for engineering and like you I spent a good part of middle school playing 2nd ed, the only problem is now its a bit further away than I would care to admit,

Im sure it will all come flooding back in no time once I get my grubby mits on the PDFs

#11 TheAuldGrump

TheAuldGrump

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1399 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

What they said above, but better edited, and more tightly written, easier to understand. The ODD boxed set was a mess.

You only say that because you do not appreciate unexplained acronyms.... ::P:

Yeah, I had the old beige box. It was very much an amateur effort, for both good and ill. The basic idea was sound, but the production quality.... I got it from an advertisement for A Change of Hobbit, in F&SF*, back in the day.

I ran my first game in 1976.

The Auld Grump

* Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine.
Si Tibi Narraremus
Te Interficere Debemus

#12 Atramagus

Atramagus

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Im currently in school for engineering and like you I spent a good part of middle school playing 2nd ed, the only problem is now its a bit further away than I would care to admit,

Im sure it will all come flooding back in no time once I get my grubby mits on the PDFs

Further away that you care to admit? Comment on age? I'm roughly a year older than you, and it doesn't seem like that long ago hehe.

Then again, my fiance seems to think I'm 2, so maybe my own view of my age is a bit skewed...

#13 Ursha&NoAkei

Ursha&NoAkei

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

In my opinion Sword and Wizardry is one of the more organized revisions of the oldest material, but personaly my favourite edition of D&D is the Anderson / Metzen firt two boxes (red and blue) simpler and created even for unexperienced players.

Regarding Sword and Wizardy I red the old free version create by Mythmeregames.com finding it interesting enough and I am curios by the new digital edition included in the kickstarter, I hope it has a better graphic.
ks_banner_bones_2_core_set.gif
Ursha: "Since we subscribed the kickstarter togheter we should have a forum user togheter"
No'Akei: "Yes but you should manage it by yourself!"
http://ihoschronicles.wordpress.com/ (Italian language only)

#14 Mythmere

Mythmere

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Regarding Sword and Wizardy I red the old free version create by Mythmeregames.com finding it interesting enough and I am curios by the new digital edition included in the kickstarter, I hope it has a better graphic.

The Frog God Games version (S&W Complete) has art from the Necromancer Games portfolio, so it is very good art.

#15 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2639 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

Izat why my boxed set came with snow in it?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users