• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 ThornDJL7

ThornDJL7

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yea, but looking at them, there aren't many that I would use in my pure fantasy outlook. Nothing against sci-fi, but it's not what I paint. :)
Pathfinder Society Venture-Captain (West-Michigan)

My CMON Gallery

#17 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 6835 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

Don't just go by the color names. Look at the colors themselves and think what use you might have for them. Set #4 has some interesting colors. "Alien goo," "LED blue," and "neon yellow" look pretty bright and might be useful for fire or glowing eyes effects or whatever the name is for brushing on color to look like light playing over a figure. "Lonestar leather" and "IMF olive" appear to be cool, greenish-tinged browns, which are the sort of thing I find useful in a fantasy environment. The other colors look like they'd have their uses too.

I'm not saying you should buy them, only that they have uses beyond their labeled names.

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#18 ThornDJL7

ThornDJL7

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

I'm not saying you should buy them, only that they have uses beyond their labeled names.

LIES!!! The Reaper Police will find you, and destroy you and your blasphemous words!
Pathfinder Society Venture-Captain (West-Michigan)

My CMON Gallery

#19 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14694 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

I'm thinking about getting sets 1 and 3 simply because all I've got are artists' acrylics, which have a much thicker texture and I suspect are more difficult to handle for specifically miniatures painting. Those two to my eye look like excellent basic sets.

Not to dissuade you from buying from Reaper but the artist acrylics will work perfectly fine on minis. They are quite a bit thicker coming out but you can thin them with no issues since they have such high pigment content. I'd use some acrylic medium plus water instead of just water since these have to be thinned more.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#20 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 6835 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

I'm thinking about getting sets 1 and 3 simply because all I've got are artists' acrylics, which have a much thicker texture and I suspect are more difficult to handle for specifically miniatures painting. Those two to my eye look like excellent basic sets.

Not to dissuade you from buying from Reaper but the artist acrylics will work perfectly fine on minis. They are quite a bit thicker coming out but you can thin them with no issues since they have such high pigment content. I'd use some acrylic medium plus water instead of just water since these have to be thinned more.

Thanks. That's good advice.

I'm still dithering over getting the paints (thankfully the Kickstarter manager thingy isn't out yet so I don't *have* to decide *just* yet). I do have a lot of artists' acrylics in great colors whose compositions and properties I know exactly, which I trust more than premixed colors. I have some reason to believe that Golden fluid matte acrylics or something very like them are the foundation for most mini paints, so I'm trying them out for starters.

But although I think in the long run they are cheaper, more stable, and easier to control, artists' acryics have a steep learning curve compared to premixed, preformulated mini paints. For beginners and people who don't expect to paint more than minis, I think these sets are a good deal.

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#21 cthulhudarren

cthulhudarren

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

So for a n00b painter who is getting vampire and a bunch of extras, cthulhu, all the giants, some dragons... I am getting paint sets 1 and 3, what should I supplement these with? A few artist acrylics (steep learning curve?) in what colors? I'm more interested in the fantasy side, btw. Thanks in advance

#22 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 10718 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

For a beginner I would recommend Reaper's Master Series Paints above all other alternatives. Have a look at the colours, and consider adding a brighter or darker shade of something you might want to use a lot (and therefore shortcut a lot). I would add a dark gold metallic and a really bright silver metallic, and Brown Liner. Kit one gets you a good starting outfit, kit three gives you the all important gold and silver, plus some good shading options.

After that, start painting. If you find yourself wanting something "Like that but brighter", "like that but darker" or "just not that shade of green" then it's time to look for more colours!

Example 1: the MSP "Clear Bright" formulations are extra-bright but not very good at covering. If you find a colour isn't intense enough, grab its "Clear Bright" cousin to layer over it.

Example 2: if you find you want to shade armour deeper and faster, grab some Black Wash.

Example 3: if your metallics just don't come to a bright enough highlight, grab some Pearl White.

Anyway, there's plenty of cheerful advice to be had here on the boards, to help you pick the right colour for the task.
  • Furongian likes this

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

#23 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

So for a n00b painter who is getting vampire and a bunch of extras, cthulhu, all the giants, some dragons... I am getting paint sets 1 and 3, what should I supplement these with? A few artist acrylics (steep learning curve?) in what colors? I'm more interested in the fantasy side, btw. Thanks in advance

Artist acrylics are unnecessary unless you want/need a specific color. I have a bottle of Liquitex Payne's Grey soft body acrylic, but I use it for a very specific purpose. MSP is such a wide paint line you're really spoiled for choice. The best advice is once you get your new paint sets start painting. It will become evident what colors you need as you start working. Or you can be like Buglips and I and have hundreds of bottles of paints for no other reason than we can.
  • Exwilly likes this

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#24 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14694 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

I will probably never need those coral colors of MSP but gosh darn it...I might...so I must have it. :devil:

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#25 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 11599 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Or you can be like Buglips and I and have hundreds of bottles of paints for no other reason than we can.

One of these days, one of these days I'm going to look at a miniature and say: "You know what this needs? This needs a good layer of Bullywug Belly." And on that day I'll have it. Maybe only that one time, but I'll have it.
Oi! Jump leads!

#26 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7394 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

I saw paint set 4 right about the time I got this mini in from the UK:

Posted Image

Going to be great for Sedition Wars!
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#27 ced1106

ced1106

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Get some painting under your belt before you decide. Army Warpainter's Quickshade Strong Ink (not the minwax stuff) is very useful as a general brown wash. Do a search on it. Also, look around the house for something to use as an eye dropper! Very useful for thinning paints! The Master's Brush soap is a must and inexpensive with a Michael's or other craft store coupon. Get some cheap synthetic miniatures brushes to experiment with. When you're ready, move on to sable brushes.

If you want some practice, buy a game or toy set with a ton of mini's and go nuts. Find a sale of craft paints at a craft store, buy a few paints, white spray primer, and pick up a detail brush and a regular-sized brush. If the mini's can fight each other, get a copy of Song of Blade and Heroes for $4. Army men vs. dinosaurs. Cowboys vs. Indians. Farm animals vs. Everyone.

#28 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 10718 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

If you find SOBH not to your taste, there's plenty of other good rules-sets out there. The suggestion of Quickshade and a good brush soap is an excellent one. I'd suggest getting one good fine brush, like a Winsor and Newton Series 7, size 00. Don't bother going down to a 5/0 (ie., 00000) or anything like that, yet.

If you don't have a decent desk lamp or two, with bendy necks and swivelling heads to put the light on the angle you want, start looking for some. Anything will do for now, but you might want to avoid fluro lamps since they can do very strange and sneaky things to contrast and colours.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

#29 DrakeSpirit

DrakeSpirit

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

Don't just go by the color names. Look at the colors themselves and think what use you might have for them. Set #4 has some interesting colors. "Alien goo," "LED blue," and "neon yellow" look pretty bright and might be useful for fire or glowing eyes effects or whatever the name is for brushing on color to look like light playing over a figure.

Thats why I ended up getting set 4 as well, there were too many possibilities for funky highlights and detailing
I kept wondering why then frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me

#30 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2216 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

If you didn't have any paints which of the paint sets would you get? I was thinking I would get 1, 2, and 3. Now I'm thinking of just 1 and 3. Hmm

The only paint set to which I'm indifferent is the one with all the metallics in it. Though, I'll probably get that one too and just give my friends what I don't want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users