Sign in to follow this  
Evil Savage

Painted Product Pics

I've noticed recently that all the new figures are given a paint job. While I understand that it's more eye catching, and it may be inspiring, but I find it kind of limiting. I personally would prefer an unpainted picture when ordering models. I've actually painted over the raw pictures in photoshop to plan out my color scheme.

It's been bugging me for a while, but I really caught my attention with the release of the pictures of the Red Petals Su model for Deadlands. Unless you're a long time deadlands fan like me you might not catch it, but Su is Chinese, and the picture for the model makes her a blonde.

Basically, I think the paint jobs are beautiful, but I'd really like to still have the an example of the raw unfinished model that i'm going to actually get.

• Like 2

I have to admit while the painted product is nice & can show you what some various things & such that you can't see in the whites. I'd rather see the white when purchasing & such. I will admit on other websites with painted mini examples I've kinda been turned off on them due to the painted example.

Still thou, Reaper offers various stages of the minis from greens to whites to painted, a little digging is all you need to find what you want.

How about a compromise? Show a side-by-side of the unpainted mini (based grey so we can make out the details without shine from the pewter), and of an inspirational sample painting job.

• Like 1

The primed versions are supposed to be posted as well as the painted ones. I'll see about why that isn't happening any more. Someone probably misunderstood something. I've been so busy with other things I hadn't noticed the omission. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• Like 4

I don't even like primer on sales photos since it leaves the possibility a gap may have been filled before priming and the primer can hide any filing marks from mold line removal. Few years back mold lines were pretty bad on warlord figures.

For me the best way to show a figure for purchase is how Darksword does their, metal with a dark wash. That way you can see the mini in it's metal state, yet you get to see all the fiddly bits as well.

RM

We've done it both ways. Doing the white primer photographs better and gives us more consistent results for the catalog.

I like seeing both the white primer version and a painted version.

As stated above, sometimes a painted version shows me details that I would have missed with the primed-only version.

I noticed this issue recently with only the Pathfinder line. Has this also been an issue with the other lines?

I did wonder why the newer releases didn't have whites up. I love the painted examples, as it does let me see things I wouldn't, but fiddly details are never the reason I buy a mini, so an unpainted version that shows the gross concept well is all I need to see.

I much prefer to see white-primed than bare metal.

But...With part-resin figs (e.g., Eregris Darkfathom), I'd love to see an unprimed picture--in addition to the primed and painted (and often the green) versions--that shows the different parts. With Darkfathom, the online store does have the caption that mentions the resin body, but I'd love to see the extent of it before purchase in future such models.

Man, this seems like an unexpectedly sophisticated problem. You need enough contrast in the figure itself to see details, which is really difficult to arrange for something that small (For big objects you can do it with lighting and reflective surfaces, but on the micro scale that's way hard.).

Primed is probably the best compromise, although haldir's suggestion of a dark wash may help pick out fine details.

While I enjoy seeing painted minis, especially individual and different interpretations of them, for evaluation for buying a plain photo is better.

But...With part-resin figs (e.g., Eregris Darkfathom), I'd love to see an unprimed picture--in addition to the primed and painted (and often the green) versions--that shows the different parts. With Darkfathom, the online store does have the caption that mentions the resin body, but I'd love to see the extent of it before purchase in future such models.

$ 9.99 for a resin mini <_<

$ 9.99 for a resin mini <_<

$9.99 for a resin mini is on the low end of prices for resin minis and I consider it to be quite reasonable after spending upwards of $25 for other companies' reason miniatures.

• Like 1

And I have Darkfathom...and he's worth every penny. It's a lovely sculpt, with awesome detail.

My original concern is just about the composition of the model, not the value. It'd be nice to know where the break between resin and metal happens, if I need to plan conversions and such. But I fully trust Reaper where value is concerned; I have yet to find a mini that I felt Reaper charged too much for.