deadlands paint color pics

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Savage

Evil Savage

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

I've noticed recently that all the new figures are given a paint job. While I understand that it's more eye catching, and it may be inspiring, but I find it kind of limiting. I personally would prefer an unpainted picture when ordering models. I've actually painted over the raw pictures in photoshop to plan out my color scheme.

It's been bugging me for a while, but I really caught my attention with the release of the pictures of the Red Petals Su model for Deadlands. Unless you're a long time deadlands fan like me you might not catch it, but Su is Chinese, and the picture for the model makes her a blonde.

Basically, I think the paint jobs are beautiful, but I'd really like to still have the an example of the raw unfinished model that i'm going to actually get.
  • Frankthedm and Jordan Peacock like this

#2 Goblyn

Goblyn

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

i ll prefer unpainted minis (if i want color i visit inspiration gallery)

Posted Image

#3 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12721 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

I have to admit while the painted product is nice & can show you what some various things & such that you can't see in the whites. I'd rather see the white when purchasing & such. I will admit on other websites with painted mini examples I've kinda been turned off on them due to the painted example.

Still thou, Reaper offers various stages of the minis from greens to whites to painted, a little digging is all you need to find what you want.
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#4 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

How about a compromise? Show a side-by-side of the unpainted mini (based grey so we can make out the details without shine from the pewter), and of an inspirational sample painting job.
  • Hellcow likes this

#5 kit

kit

The fine line between stupid and clever

• Super Administrators
  • 10044 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

The primed versions are supposed to be posted as well as the painted ones. I'll see about why that isn't happening any more. Someone probably misunderstood something. I've been so busy with other things I hadn't noticed the omission. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
  • Wren, Goblyn, Jordan Peacock and 1 other like this

“If you asked people in 1989 what they needed to make their life better, it was unlikely that they would have said that a decentralized network of information nodes that are linked using hypertext.” - Sep Kamvar

#6 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3216 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

I don't even like primer on sales photos since it leaves the possibility a gap may have been filled before priming and the primer can hide any filing marks from mold line removal. Few years back mold lines were pretty bad on warlord figures.

"Life gives you lemons you make lemonade, Life gives you whales... whale burgers." -Cadaver

#7 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6334 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Not priming the miniatures makes them awfully hard to photograph though.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#8 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12721 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

For me the best way to show a figure for purchase is how Darksword does their, metal with a dark wash. That way you can see the mini in it's metal state, yet you get to see all the fiddly bits as well.

RM
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#9 kit

kit

The fine line between stupid and clever

• Super Administrators
  • 10044 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

We've done it both ways. Doing the white primer photographs better and gives us more consistent results for the catalog.

“If you asked people in 1989 what they needed to make their life better, it was unlikely that they would have said that a decentralized network of information nodes that are linked using hypertext.” - Sep Kamvar

#10 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2275 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

I like seeing both the white primer version and a painted version.

As stated above, sometimes a painted version shows me details that I would have missed with the primed-only version.

I noticed this issue recently with only the Pathfinder line. Has this also been an issue with the other lines?

#11 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2147 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

I did wonder why the newer releases didn't have whites up. I love the painted examples, as it does let me see things I wouldn't, but fiddly details are never the reason I buy a mini, so an unpainted version that shows the gross concept well is all I need to see.

I much prefer to see white-primed than bare metal.

But...With part-resin figs (e.g., Eregris Darkfathom), I'd love to see an unprimed picture--in addition to the primed and painted (and often the green) versions--that shows the different parts. With Darkfathom, the online store does have the caption that mentions the resin body, but I'd love to see the extent of it before purchase in future such models.
Index of my Show-Off minis.

My sporadic workbench. Currently: Dwarfs.
My Legion of Everblight. Painted: 28 points, 1 Warlock. Owned: 157 points, 3 Warlocks.

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#12 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 7074 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

Man, this seems like an unexpectedly sophisticated problem. You need enough contrast in the figure itself to see details, which is really difficult to arrange for something that small (For big objects you can do it with lighting and reflective surfaces, but on the micro scale that's way hard.).

Primed is probably the best compromise, although haldir's suggestion of a dark wash may help pick out fine details.

While I enjoy seeing painted minis, especially individual and different interpretations of them, for evaluation for buying a plain photo is better.

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#13 Goblyn

Goblyn

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 810 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

But...With part-resin figs (e.g., Eregris Darkfathom), I'd love to see an unprimed picture--in addition to the primed and painted (and often the green) versions--that shows the different parts. With Darkfathom, the online store does have the caption that mentions the resin body, but I'd love to see the extent of it before purchase in future such models.

$ 9.99 for a resin mini <_<

#14 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6334 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

$ 9.99 for a resin mini <_<

$9.99 for a resin mini is on the low end of prices for resin minis and I consider it to be quite reasonable after spending upwards of $25 for other companies' reason miniatures.
  • Dadcubed likes this
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#15 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2147 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

And I have Darkfathom...and he's worth every penny. It's a lovely sculpt, with awesome detail.

My original concern is just about the composition of the model, not the value. It'd be nice to know where the break between resin and metal happens, if I need to plan conversions and such. But I fully trust Reaper where value is concerned; I have yet to find a mini that I felt Reaper charged too much for.
Index of my Show-Off minis.

My sporadic workbench. Currently: Dwarfs.
My Legion of Everblight. Painted: 28 points, 1 Warlock. Owned: 157 points, 3 Warlocks.

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deadlands, paint, color pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users