• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Beowulfthehunter

Beowulfthehunter

Godlike

• Members
  • 1336 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

The new trend at the gaming store is using an Airbrush to paint models. Having tried it, I must say I fell in love. The problem being is that unlike the rest of my gaming friends who constantly have extra funds to drop on stuff and still live at home. I need a compressor that will not break the bank or piss off the hot MILF that lives under me in my building.

I am looking for a compressor that will cary about 80-100 PSI and not make a huge amount of noise, baring that does anyone know of ways to muffle a compressor?
I paint minis, because it keeps me out of the strip clubs!
My Auctions...I always need money

Proud Member of the Brush Licker's Union Series 7

#2 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12425 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Get one with a tank. Tank means the motor doesn't run all the time.

Might look into the Campbell Hassfield ones at Walmart & such. Those are more then airbrush compressors but I've seen them work quite well for it.
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#3 "That Guy"

"That Guy"

Shameless Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

Look into Harbor Freight. Their airbrush compressor is cheap and quiet. It's what I use at Reaper. Why would you need it to go up to 80-100 psi? It seems a bit extreme.
Martin is an exceptionally gifted human being, a man of unlimited talent. His smile brightens the sky, and he could lull a dragon to sleep just by whistling softly. He's stronger than The Hulk, braver than Captain America, smarter than Iron Man, and Chuck Norris fears him. A scholar and a gentleman, he is nothing less than the most exemplary ideal of humanity for whom exists no limit of superlatives. He is Martin, Man of Action! -Buglips

http://www.drstrangebrush.com/
https://www.facebook.../drstrangebrush

#4 Beowulfthehunter

Beowulfthehunter

Godlike

• Members
  • 1336 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

The brush that I bought recomends 40psi. I figure 100 should be enough. Am I thinking too much?

I really just want one so I do not piss off the neighbors.

#5 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5808 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

I have never gone above 20psi on either of my airbrushs, 40psi would be serious overkill. What airbrush did you buy?

Edited by Heisler, 19 September 2012 - 02:22 PM.

* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#6 Beowulfthehunter

Beowulfthehunter

Godlike

• Members
  • 1336 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

This is the one I purchased.
http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

#7 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5808 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

Okay, it says that the working pressure is 15psi - 40 psi and you will find yourself most often working 15 and 20, although I go as low as 12 with mine. That looks like a good workhorse airbrush and you should be able to do a lot with it. A brand of some kind would have been nice just to be able to find some reviews on the quality. When you practice with it you should try and work with the lowest pressure possible and not the highest so you definitely don't need an air compressor that goes to a 100psi and I would hazard to guess that you probably don't even need one that will go to 40psi. 40 is putting a lot of force through the brush and likely to start blowing away what ever you are working on.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V

#8 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5808 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

Also learning how to airbrush is all about learning how to clean the clogs. Each airbrush will clog in slightly different ways and in different places. Do not let a clogged airbrush discourage you, learn from it and soon a clog will be a minor annoyance rather than an earth shaking event. Paint being to thick is usually the worst culprit followed quickly by clumps in your paint because it was not mixed thoroughly. Each will start to cause different odd spray patterns and paying attention to how your airbrush acts as it clogs will tell you just about exactly where that clog has occurred.

A cleaning kit for an airbrush is a must have item!
  • smokingwreckage likes this

#9 Beowulfthehunter

Beowulfthehunter

Godlike

• Members
  • 1336 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Thanks, one more question, this is the one I was looking at in terms of compressor.
http://www.ebay.com/...=item53eed38d0a

I understand about clogs, the one guy who is the airbrush guy at the store showed me how to clean them at the store when he brought his in.

#10 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5808 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

That looks like it will get the job done and the price is right. I might be concerned with noise on that one and you are going to need to add a water trap to it. It doesn't say anything about coming with a hose so you will need that as well which means you will need to know what size the end is so you get the right hose. Might be worth sending them a message and asking if it comes with a hose or if they can tell you what hose to get.

#11 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5808 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

You might take a look at these compressors, especially since you have extra components you need to buy anyway:
http://www.tcpglobal...abcompress.aspx

#12 Airbrushfan

Airbrushfan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Congrats, if u found the right one. Usually cheap n quiet don't exist as a real couple. Depends on how much is "cheap" and what's "quiet". Wouldn't buy a comp for under 100 bucks for serious airbrush works. They aren't really quiet..

#13 Seer of the Pitt

Seer of the Pitt

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Here's a company called California Air Tools that I found while searching for a quiet air compressor. They even have a video comparing what looks to be a Harbor Freight compressor... free shipping is a definite plus to offset the overall cost.  http://www.amazon.co...X95NCCK8VZZRPJG

I see ...

#14 Dadcubed

Dadcubed

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1024 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I think the important thing is having a tank and an airbrush that is easy to clean with dual so you can increase rate of paint and spread, if that makes sense.

I am still at the investigating / reading reviews stage before purchasing. I too have a restricted budget.

Here's my check list so far:

Compressor Spec:

Tank
Moisture reduction
Cooling
PSI adjustable
Output regulator

Moisture reduction is important otherwise paint can run.

Hope this info helps :)
MiniWars is a new online wargame player, hobbyist and club finder. There are search tools, you can find opponents, clubs, or buddies near you. Get yourself on the map and join the game!

http://miniwars.co.uk

WIP: http://www.reapermin...endeavours-wip/

#15 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2237 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

This is the one I use and recommend it whole-heartedly.

http://www.chicagoai....com/d3000.html

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users