• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46 Gryfter_92

Gryfter_92

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Weighing in.....I have had some groups that took forever to do anything, even getting rooms at the inn.....very frustrating. It all boils down to the style of play, and the way the game is run. I had one DM who would randomly have you make spot/surprise checks just to keep you on your toes. It didn't always mean that there was a bad guy who was gonna try and rob the party, but the look of surprise on a players face as they let fly an arrow/spell etc at a squirrel in the underbrush is priceless. It also meant that not every random check was going to involve a fight. Although he did get pretty devious with some of the stuff. Players who want the "Baldur's Gate" video game style of hack and slash and collect the next big treasure CAN be fun, if the whole party is on board. However, as I have matured(sort of) I have learned that a good gaming campaign involves PC/NPC and PC/PC interaction, as well as a good storyline/plot line. Before my Ex-wife went psycho, she could run plots with webs within webs within webs within webs. It was totally awesome! As a DM I prefer groups of three to five PC's myself. I haven't really found any larger groups to be part of in Playing either. A good group of PC's once they get to know each other can pretty much take down anything the DM throws at them, if they are smart about it. All that being said, an experienced DM makes a world of difference between time dragging at a session and "Oh wow, the sun is coming up already?"

#47 kericmason

kericmason

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

I don't know what the current edition is like, but the old Warhammer Fantasy Role-play was great for quick, decisive combat. Running away from fights that weren't clearly in your favour was often a good policy. The critical tables make for fun (and gory) reading. Lack of easy access to healing makes everything scary. Sure it was a goblin archer, but he rolled 6 for damage, and gets to roll again... Oh look, a third 6... Oh my, you're definitely getting charted by this :P

Ideally every game session should have time for every character to feel like they have contributed. If you have a character who lacks social skills, and is primarily a combat monster, get them to take the party notes. Write down NPC names, campaign facts, plot hooks, etc.. So when you are in town, they are involved by virtue of being the party's memory. Characters who can't contribute to a combat through mega spells or martial prowess also need something constructive to do, but most D&D based games make it reasonably easy to contribute to combat in some form or other, while being socially capable is often challenging to do because of skill point and stat limitations.

Eric

#48 DirkDiggler69

DirkDiggler69

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Funny when I suggest our next campaign should be Dark Heresy nobody is interested. It's just too rough of a system on the players, etc. Yet no matter what a particular talent may be everythings difficulty in our Pathfinder game gets ramped up to about 50/50 odds or worse anyway.

I'm going to detect traps...32! DM: You think there might be traps... I half want to yell "Of course I think there might be traps thats why I searched the place!!!" So either there aren't any traps I can find or they were set by some mad genius, and are impossible to find. lol

Basically no matter what you talent the target number comes out to be a 50/50 chance or worse in Pathfinder. I'd rather have Dark Heresy where it's just I check perception a 33 I succeed! GM is forced to cough something up. Not go...you don't see anything and then drop an anvil on them.

#49 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9418 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Reading this thread makes me pretty grateful for my 2nd Edition Group. Rules? Where we're going we don't need rules.

That's how my gypsy thief swindler posing as a crappy fighter found out she'd been lied to and manipulated all along (turns out all those hobbits I mercilessly murdered on campaign really weren't evil, after all), and has now sworn to avenge every drop of wrongfully spilled blood, and with the help of some magic stones I totally wasn't really supposed to touch I've somehow become a multi-classed human thief/cavalier with a unique xp division (I'm 5/1 Thief/Fighter and xp is divided not equally, but based on what I use in play).

While a total violation of the "rules" this does rather make quite a bit of sense. Presumably, since I've spent all that time posing as fighter, I might have learned a thing or three about how to hit that with this.

I still think trolls can be killed by splashing water on them, though. Man, I'm in for an epic surprise someday.

*splash*

Norse Warrior: "It didn't do anything."

Me: "Give it a minute. He was pretty dry."
  • Gryfter_92 likes this

Current Bones Count: Total: awaiting recount    Painted: 134

#50 ReaperWolf

ReaperWolf

Enlightened

• Reaper User
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'd rather have Dark Heresy where it's just I check perception a 33 I succeed! GM is forced to cough something up. Not go...you don't see anything and then drop an anvil on them.

Possibly but then again ther might be a penalty/malus to the action so your adjusted % may be lower than your PER characteristic.

Years ago I was running a Call of Cthulhu game set in Mussolini held Italy. One of the players cut me off mid-sentence at one point and said his character had a 85% chance for Persuade skill, he even showed it to me. He then told the NPC that his character believed he was behind the plot and demanded to know what he was doing. This was a roleplaying encounter in a fancy Italian restaurant. Anyways the player then glared at me and in the most antagonistic voice possible he said even if the maximum penalty to the die roll was applied his character still had a good chance of making the roll. Without waiting for my reply he then rolled the dice, somewhere in the 20's if memory serves, he then smugly crossed his arms and snorted in triumph.

Some players...

Anywho the NPC did eventually come clean after the character ended up in his clutches after a failed museum robbery in which the character was captured by blackshirts. She (the character, the player always played females 'cuz he believed doing so gave him an edge), woke up stripped to her shfit tied to a metal chair bolted to a floor in a filthy basement room with a single light buzzing over head. The bad guy NPC strolled in, lit a cigarette and told her in exacting detail what his plans were. The player was so freaked out, 'cuz I played out the meeting (to the cheers of the other players) in exacting detail over the course of 20 minutes. The player was sweating and so freaked out that his character, when set free because the NPC had nothing to fear from her, headed to the hotel, packed her bags, and jumped on the next flight out of Rome and he left the table with 1.25 hours left of the game.

I sent a player packing he was so freaked. He wasn't angry, but you could tell I scared the poop outa the guy.
  • haldir and Exwilly like this
"Wait by the river long enough and the body of your enemy will float by." Sun Tzu, ancient Chinese General

#51 ReaperWolf

ReaperWolf

Enlightened

• Reaper User
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

Reading this thread makes me pretty grateful for my 2nd Edition Group. Rules? Where we're going we don't need rules.

AD&D 2nd edition isn't any BETTER or WORSE than any other rule system.
  • sethohman likes this
"Wait by the river long enough and the body of your enemy will float by." Sun Tzu, ancient Chinese General

#52 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9418 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

AD&D 2nd edition isn't any BETTER or WORSE than any other rule system.

I dunno. Any? In any case, my mention of 2nd is an incidental identifier of what we play, not a statement that 2nd is superior. I'm grateful for the group which happens to play 2nd Edition. Same as if I said "my Call of Cthulhu Group" or "My GURPS group". The Group is awesome. We could probably even make Palladium rules not suck.

Well . . .

Ok, no. That's pretty much impossible without a whole new set of rules.

Did any of you ever encounter people who played the Palladium fantasy game instead of D&D? And, if so, did you kind of think of them as like . . . third world fantasy players? It's like "you're playing what now? why would you do that? whyyyyy? do you live in a cave and not know any better? I live in a cave and I know better! Tangerine!"
  • sethohman likes this

#53 Nocturne

Nocturne

King of the North

• Members
  • 2780 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Did any of you ever encounter people who played the Palladium fantasy game instead of D&D? And, if so, did you kind of think of them as like . . . third world fantasy players? It's like "you're playing what now? why would you do that? whyyyyy? do you live in a cave and not know any better? I live in a cave and I know better! Tangerine!"

I knew a group that played Palladium fantasy. From what I could tell whoever owned the most sourcebooks and invented the most ridiculous character was the winner. Doubly so when they decided to play the full Megaverse and just used whatever book from fantasy or Rifts they wanted.

One of the most fun roleplaying games I played used no rulesystem or pre-planning whatsoever. We just gave a basic outline of the sort of fantasy character we wanted to play and the DM went with it, we used a D6 when something with a random chance happened with the DM deciding whether we succeeded or not depending on what sort of character we were.

@nocturnerose

Currently procrastinating

#54 The Inner Geek

The Inner Geek

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1363 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

I knew a group that played Palladium fantasy. From what I could tell whoever owned the most sourcebooks and invented the most ridiculous character was the winner. Doubly so when they decided to play the full Megaverse and just used whatever book from fantasy or Rifts they wanted.

There was nothing cheesey about our Palladium characters! It's not like you don't see a shapeshifting dragon running around with a mage and a "glitter-boy" (that sounded less gay at the time).... ok, yes it was "not good", but we were young and experimenting. We did drift pretty quickly from Rifts back to 2nd Ed DnD now that I think about it. You aint lieing about those source books though!

If a chicken an a half can lay an egg an a half in a day an a half,
how long will it take a monkey with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?

#55 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9418 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

Rifts was the only one I thought looked to have some creative roleplaying potential. We used to have a ton of Palladium stuff and for a while I ran a Robotech game. But that system . . . just brutal. It was clearly derived from D&D and altered somewhat, but without the reasoning. I mean, yeah, sometimes the AD&D system could get obtuse - but you could at least figure out where they were going with it. Palladium was more like "Let's rip off D&D and throw some random crap on top." Levels were practically meaningless, combat was ridiculously overcomplicated and slow . . . just . . . yeesh.

It's been 20 years since I've used the Palladium system. Don't miss it.

#56 The Inner Geek

The Inner Geek

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1363 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

Rifts was the only one I thought looked to have some creative roleplaying potential. We used to have a ton of Palladium stuff and for a while I ran a Robotech game. But that system . . . just brutal. It was clearly derived from D&D and altered somewhat, but without the reasoning. I mean, yeah, sometimes the AD&D system could get obtuse - but you could at least figure out where they were going with it. Palladium was more like "Let's rip off D&D and throw some random crap on top." Levels were practically meaningless, combat was ridiculously overcomplicated and slow . . . just . . . yeesh.

It's been 20 years since I've used the Palladium system. Don't miss it.

JINX!

What a familiar sounding experience.

If a chicken an a half can lay an egg an a half in a day an a half,
how long will it take a monkey with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?

#57 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9418 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

But that was part of the times, too. People were making RPG's about everything. Some pretty good . . . some not so much.

As I recall, that was the timeframe of West End Games and their "roll a million D6" system. Oy.

#58 Nocturne

Nocturne

King of the North

• Members
  • 2780 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

But that was part of the times, too. People were making RPG's about everything. Some pretty good . . . some not so much.

As I recall, that was the timeframe of West End Games and their "roll a million D6" system. Oy.

You've just reminded me of Don't Look Back. I'd forgotten all about that system.

@nocturnerose

Currently procrastinating

#59 DirkDiggler69

DirkDiggler69

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Fraid may have missed the point. If one system is frowned up because doing anything challenging is 40 -50% chance at best. But another system is heavily played but the DM modifies everything so anything challenging is 40 - 50% chance...whats the difference?

I could also go on a rant about things DM's should not do but I won't. Basically I think if the system is really setup right the GM should be leading the story along, and the rules should do the rest. No hidden rolls, fudged numbers needed.

#60 Amalor Myrnnyx

Amalor Myrnnyx

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Spell casting. Boon to the creative, outside the box thinking player. Bane to the DM that likes to plan meticulously. :devil:

DMs hate it when I run spellcasters, because I hardly ever take the spells they plan for (fireballs, disintegrate, lightning bolt). I always go for the "what the..." spells, and make them work. Reverse Gravity is one of my favorites for that. But Shrink Item, or even Silence (it's amazing how many DMs forget about that one). I've even got one DM to sit motionless for ten minutes by holding an action, waiting until the main villain was about to run out the door, and using Mount to block the door.
-James Degenhardt
Myrnnyx Mini Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users