• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6245 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Will Reaper carry/make a 2 inch square base in Bones or other plastic for all the big beasties for gaming?
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#2 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 8642 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Bases are one of the first things we will be working on to complement the Bones line.
  • Adrift, morari, CashWiley and 1 other like this

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#3 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6245 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

Dig!! Thanks Bryan.

#4 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5884 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Good. I never cared for giving my money to the Evil Empire for 50mm squares, but they were one of the few decent sources out there for them. Then they stopped producing the packages with *only* 50mm in them, so I stopped buying from them too. It's been a PITA to find a decent replacement source. I'd much rather give Reaper my money for them if I can.

~v
  • Wren, joshuaslater and Girot like this

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

#5 Atramagus

Atramagus

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Yes! Basing minis is one of my favorite things to do, and I really didn't want to have to go to the previously mentioned Evil Empire for them. I'm going to be getting quite a few of the options from the KS campaign, so this is welcome news indeed.

I haven't tried removing the built-in base for the smaller minis yet, but it looks like it should be fairly easy.

#6 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6432 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Can we hope for Bones sculpted bases ala http://www.back2base...viewCat&catId=2

I love their bases and would rather buy them from TX than the wrong side of the world :)

#7 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6245 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Good. I never cared for giving my money to the Evil Empire for 50mm squares, but they were one of the few decent sources out there for them. Then they stopped producing the packages with *only* 50mm in them, so I stopped buying from them too. It's been a PITA to find a decent replacement source. I'd much rather give Reaper my money for them if I can.

~v

I'm just waiting for Reaper as well. I'm playing Warlord as much as I can lately, and as much as I love the metal 2" bases, I'd like a Bones base. I'd also like to use them to put under the heavy metal bases of my Metal Warlord beasties. I think something attached to the bottom would reduce tear on the kitchen table and gaming mats.

#8 cthulhudarren

cthulhudarren

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Bases are one of the first things we will be working on to complement the Bones line.

This is good to hear. Hopefully it will be friendly to 1" square conventions of certain RPG's we all know.

#9 Wren

Wren

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1974 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

A big ditto to this! I was very peeved when I ran out and discovered that GW was making them available only in a multipack with other sizes. I got a bunch from GF9, but I don't like the MDF wood quite as well as the plastic.

#10 Darsc Zacal

Darsc Zacal

PAX Prime Survivor

• Bones Supporter
  • 3874 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

I hope that both larger round and square bases are being considered by Reaper.

I do use square bases for mounting minis I'll be using in war games so that appearance-wise they'll fit in with the rest of my armies. However I actually prefer the way minis look on round bases, and mount minis I intend for display and/or RPG use on those. That's also why I sometimes buy two of some minis I could see being used for both games.

Some of the Bones mini's I already own are a bit difficult to fit on "normal" bases, like the ogre and minotaur, and I expect the Bones Kickstarter will have a slew more, so I'll be watching for anything coming from Reaper themselves.
"Yeah, we have magic and elves and crazy wizardocracies, but gender equality, *that's* a fantasy."

- Pingo's alter ego.

#11 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3198 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:27 AM

Good. I never cared for giving my money to the Evil Empire for 50mm squares, but they were one of the few decent sources out there for them. Then they stopped producing the packages with *only* 50mm in them, so I stopped buying from them too. It's been a PITA to find a decent replacement source.

Yeah, last decent deal GW had. $5 for a bag full of bases.

So far I think these guys have the best price on plastic bases
http://www.em4miniat...URES_BASES.html

Proxie models is also affordable.
http://proxiemodels.com/basesonly.aspx

I like 2" metal washers from the hardware store. Adds nice heft to a plastic minis.

"Life gives you lemons you make lemonade, Life gives you whales... whale burgers." -Cadaver

#12 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5884 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

I love their bases and would rather buy them from TX than the wrong side of the world :)

This is a really interesting idea. I wonder how well the Bones materials would work in place of resin. On the plus side; a sprue of bases would seem like it could be cost effective, and they would have great re-sell value (as opposed to a character mini, buyers - especially wargamers - could conceivably want dozens of the same base/sprue).

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

#13 Ithaqua

Ithaqua

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Evil Empire does sell 50mm square bases, 3 for $4.95..pfft, at least in the US. I hope Reaper makes the larger plain square bases that match up with D&D 3.5 sizes. And also square or oval sizes to match their hydra, dragons, and other large long critters. Prefer them blank so I can do my own base decoration. I based my kobolds on 20mm square, and it seems like the ogres, gnolls and bugbears are going to take 40mm square, but thats ok since they look cool on the 40mm.

#14 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2237 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Gale Force 9 makes magnetic ones that I'm a huge fan of. They're price comprable to what GW is putting out but are magnetic so they're better.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#15 dwarvenranger

dwarvenranger

Doglike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1260 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Actually I'm hoping for small bases more than large ones. That way I could fit two small creatures into a one inch square like you're supposed to be able to do. Although the mini itself would have to be able to this as well.
Grow Stronger

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warlord, Bones Reaper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users