• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 6263 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

I recently painted the Ravenloft set as well. What I ended up doing for the Burning Skeletons was using brush on primer for the bones section. then painted them a creme color and a basic texture paint for the base.
I then used quick-shade strong tone to dip them and after it was dried for about 48hrs dull coated them.(I think Dark tone would be better but didn't have any)
They turned out well with the dip shading the transparent flames without losing the translucence. I preferred the dull-coat to having them shiny afterwards

I took a picture with a white/blue Led behind one, and a Red Led behind another as well as one with ambient lighting
Posted Image

Wow! Those looked good before, but the LEDs transform them into amazing. You did a fabulous job.

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#17 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

I've actually done tests with Minwax vs. Army Painter. Minwax has more stain in while Quickshade has less which enhances the "Wash" effect.

I wonder if you could get a can of minwax clear and minwax with stain and try and mix them so you'd get half as much stain in by default..might turn out to be very effective and much cheaper then army painter...tho in all fairness I've dipped about 100 figures and the cans still got 3/4 of it left.

#18 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Wow! Those looked good before, but the LEDs transform them into amazing. You did a fabulous job.

Thx! I just took that picture to demonstrate how much color and light comes thru the mini even after dipping and dullcoating.
I saw somewhere a webpage that had miniature bases with LED lights that flickered.
I'm wondering if they couldn't be used with the Flame elementals to light up the transparent model and make it flicker.
maybe an orange LED then paint over th main base area so the ligth only comes up thru the transparent part of the mini.

Could be very cool looking on the table.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users