• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cthulhudarren

cthulhudarren

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Are the colors named with "Wash" already diluted to be used for washes?

#2 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 10317 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Since different jobs need different opacity, they might not do just what you want right out of the bottle.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

#3 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 9320 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

They will be more diluted than "normal" paints, but still may require further dilution for certain applications.

In essence,they are diluted to the "thickest point one might ever want a wash" on the grounds that it's easy to make them thinner if you want them thinner, but harder for you to make it thicker if you want it thicker.

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#4 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

...but harder for you to make it thicker if you want it thicker.

Wanna bet? ::P: :poke:

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#5 cthulhudarren

cthulhudarren

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

So these would not be for use as a base coat on bones because it has water and would bead up. Correct?

#6 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 11293 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

You'd have to put down a lot of layers to get a basecoat even if it did stick. It's more like a thin shader than a paint.

I AM MASCOT NOW!

I AM MASCOT NOW!

I AM MASCOT NOW!

I AM MASCOT NOW!

I AM MASCOT NOW!

#7 thatguywiththeface

thatguywiththeface

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

Correct, sort of. The idea is that a wash is semi translucent, and flows into crevices more easily than regular paint does.

Basecoat paints, in contrast, tend to be more opaque (and/or thicker) than regular paint.

This should be true of any paint range you encounter, but be careful not to use anything labeled base or wash for the desired purpose right out of the bottle/pot/can. Test it first.

Just because you're a gamer doesn't mean you have to smell like a dwarf

#8 cthulhudarren

cthulhudarren

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

You would have to use a base for bones mini's, right? You can't add any water at all or it will bead on the bones material. I'd just have to make sure not to try and put too much paint on the minis at one time.

#9 GregR

GregR

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

In my experience you can thin most paints a little bit and still paint Bones. I can't give you exact ratios, but I thinned to the point that the paint was flowing into the brush instead of the bristles scooping up paint on the outside to smear it on the surface. I did see a little bit of beading on some smooth shiny areas, but it was minimal. Like primer, you don't have to have complete pigmentation to have "gotten" an area. I just made sure to let the first coat dry completely in an area, even if some spots were mostly white still. The second coat increased coverage very significantly, no beading, and by the third coat I had acceptable uniform color to move onto a wash. For a 'show piece' I probably would have thinned the paint more after the first or second coat and done a fourth to get the smoothest possible foundation to layer on. If they're gaming pieces, or you're new painter, or even if you're just not concerned with 'surface texture', I would say painting straight out of the bottle (with a "paint" not a "wash" labeled product) or thinned with the tiniest bit of water is your best bet. Once an area has some paint on it, it paints just like any metal or resin mini, primed or otherwise... and thicker paints will more quickly and easily get you to that point.
  • ced1106 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users