6 replies to this topic

#1 siliconjedi

siliconjedi

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Everytime I use a brush on primer from a miniatures paint collection, It doesn't cover, pools in recesses (slightly reducing detail), and the white color isn't even.

(I hate using spray primer as I tend to like prep one mini at a time, and it is nice to be able to stay indoors.)

Am I missing something? Do you get good results with Reaper's Brush-on White Pimer?
Is the Black any better?

My current brush-on solution is white gesso, which I'm liking except I can't find the balance between putting it on too thin and it leaving areas exposed, and putting in on too think and winding up with an army of melting snowmen.

#2 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 11374 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

Shake it well. VERY well. If you think it's shaken enough, you must double your efforts.

My Reaper New Pro Paint primer (which I have in vast quantity) settles so fast that within half an hour it's separated again and needs vigorous shaking. Just something with primer.

Shake it. Shake it!

Everybody dance!
  • ced1106 likes this

Not cool enough for a signature. 

#3 siliconjedi

siliconjedi

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

Okay, I'll try it on one of my bare minis tonight.

#4 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4137 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have to shake the dickens out of it and usually stir it after it comes out of the dropper too. It does go on looking uneven and seeming like the coverage was not good. However once it dries it works just fine, and once the base coat is on you can't tell.
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#5 ixminis

ixminis

Paint-Lackey

• Artists
  • 3893 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

Looks like folks have covered brushing it on.

If you've got an air brush 1 part primer to 1 part water will get you a good mix to start with as well. I frequently use Reaper MSP Primer White as a spray primer (with my airbrush as the delivery system).
MichaelG / IXMINIS (I-X-Minis)
Friends don't let friends paint drunk
http://www.tinywars.com

#6 dks

dks

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1036 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

I've found that I need two (or more) coats of white brush-on primer to get total coverage anyway.
At a consistency thin enough not to show my brushstrokes, but not so thin that the primer-wash would simply bead up on the metal, one coat of white primer just doesn't completely cover the gray "color" of the bare metal, even though it may be giving enough of a primer coat for further layers of paint to stick to.
Lately, I've been mixing some black primer into the white primer to get varying values of gray, which seems to cover better than straight white -- or maybe it just isn't as obvious if the gray isn't fully covering the bare metal on the first coat.

Good luck! I hope you get it to work out for you.

Derek

#7 Hot Lead

Hot Lead

Enlightened

• Artists
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

Everytime I use a brush on primer from a miniatures paint collection, It doesn't cover, pools in recesses (slightly reducing detail), and the white color isn't even.

(I hate using spray primer as I tend to like prep one mini at a time, and it is nice to be able to stay indoors.)

Am I missing something? Do you get good results with Reaper's Brush-on White Pimer?
Is the Black any better?

My current brush-on solution is white gesso, which I'm liking except I can't find the balance between putting it on too thin and it leaving areas exposed, and putting in on too think and winding up with an army of melting snowmen.

I used Golden's gesso on some minis recently and it worked out rather well. I mixed enough water to get it to flow and added a drop of matte medium to the mix. The medium helped it stick the surface better. Took 2-3 coats to get a smooth, even white but it was worth it in the end.

Take care,
Laszlo

hot_lead_forum_sig.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users