• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

I am working on a dio, that will have this Reaper figure http://www.reapermin...mm/latest/30013 the idea being that the beastie is the pet of this Reaper figure http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/30007 because all crime bosses/pirate queens need a big nasty beastie as a pet (think Jabba the Hut/the ranccor). Now the question is should I weather the sword or not? I prisoner wouldn't be given a very sharp sword would they?

BTW these are just two of the figures in the diorama there will be 15-20 in total (not counting animals).

They [machines] cannot commune with God. Official Fieldarchy fanboy!

#2 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

A weathered sword would seem appropriate for a prisoner.

A 52mm scale diorama whose theme is the pirates and which includes 15 to 20 miniatures sounds very interesting to me.
Will you also include the dogs you were looking for in your most promissing work?

#3 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

A weathered sword would seem appropriate for a prisoner.

A 52mm scale diorama whose theme is the pirates and which includes 15 to 20 miniatures sounds very interesting to me.
Will you also include the dogs you were looking for in your most promissing work?

Yes, the dogs are for this project; can you guess where at least one of them is going to be placed?

#4 Lastman

Lastman

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

I think weathering is overdone. I prefer to see some thing well painted rather than something that has rust or mud or whatever slapped on it. But I think snow bases are overdone too. So this is my minority opinion post.

#5 Nameless

Nameless

Godlike

• Members
  • 1096 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

Now the question is should I weather the sword or not? I prisoner wouldn't be given a very sharp sword would they?

so why give them weapon at all? ;)

anyway, I can't wait to see the whole dio! 20 models in 54mm? now, that's gonna be impressive

banner_reaper.jpg

My minis -  Nameless Painter Blog / Chest of Colors gallery

------------------------------------------

Available for commissions

#6 Atramagus

Atramagus

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

Eh, I like the idea of giving a prisoner a rusted sword, just for sport. If you want to really have fun with it, make it something that's been rusted through in a couple of spots, or possibly pitted... that would certainly be a bit more unique than just rust-colored paint, which should appease Lastman ^_~

Very cool idea, I hope you'll post pics when you're done.
  • captenglish likes this

#7 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Eh, I like the idea of giving a prisoner a rusted sword, just for sport. If you want to really have fun with it, make it something that's been rusted through in a couple of spots, or possibly pitted... that would certainly be a bit more unique than just rust-colored paint, which should appease Lastman ^_~

Very cool idea, I hope you'll post pics when you're done.

Good idea

#8 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

I would say close to his mistress, maybe she will have her left hand caresing his head. Is that right?
  • captenglish likes this

#9 dks

dks

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1037 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

If you weather one thing, you're probably committing to weathering many other things in the diorama. If you're OK with that, go ahead!
If you're more tentative, you can paint the sword (and the rest of the parts of the diorama) "clean" first, and decide on the weathering after you see all the pieces composed together. You'll figure out what areas need to be weathered, with what colors, and how much. You might be hesitant to risk messing up some of your nice paint-work, but you can force yourself to confront that fear.
Still, I also like @Atramagus's suggestion about the pitting and rusting through, so you might have to decide this early, since it will be easier to gouge and drill the sword before you paint it.

Anyway, I think we all look forward to seeing this one!

Derek

#10 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

I would say close to his mistress, maybe she will have her left hand caresing his head. Is that right?

I like it.

Edit: tried it and the pup wont fit there, but he will be very close to his mistress.
  • Metalchaos likes this

#11 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

If you weather one thing, you're probably committing to weathering many other things in the diorama. If you're OK with that, go ahead!
If you're more tentative, you can paint the sword (and the rest of the parts of the diorama) "clean" first, and decide on the weathering after you see all the pieces composed together. You'll figure out what areas need to be weathered, with what colors, and how much. You might be hesitant to risk messing up some of your nice paint-work, but you can force yourself to confront that fear.
Still, I also like @Atramagus's suggestion about the pitting and rusting through, so you might have to decide this early, since it will be easier to gouge and drill the sword before you paint it.

Anyway, I think we all look forward to seeing this one!

Derek

Thanks Derek. I will weather what I feel needs weathering. As far as being afraid to weather so as not to ruin a nice paint job, that is my issue, I tend to over weather to cover a crappy paint job! Regarding the sword, I am findng damaging it more difficult than I thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users