• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flvolunteer

flvolunteer

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

I've been trying to find a way to run Warlord in a dungeon like environment with zero to no scratch building and found that the Mage Knight tiles I have create too small a battlefield and Dwarven Forge is outside my price range. I'm curious about Terraclips, but have only seen it in it's packaging and not gamed with it before. Does anyone have any experience with their terrain? If so, what is your opinion as to how it might work for Warlord?

Regards,
Eric

#2 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

I know vejlin has run dungeon crawl events using flat, printed cardstock like tiles. As long as the scale works (anything with roughly a 1" tile should be fine), then I see no reason why it wouldn't work. 3D dungeons are awesome, but a printed cardstock one would do the job too.

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

#3 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2237 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Terraclips are durable and cool but expensive for what you get. For $50 you get the ability to make roughly a 24"x24" board. And you still have to "build" them.

Edited by psyberwolfe1, 20 September 2012 - 10:27 AM.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#4 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

When you compare this to the raw materials cost of my 4'x8' dungeon made from HA casts (~$800 in molds and materials), or the Dwarven Forge stuff I used to use for my 3'x6' setup prior to that (~$1100 in sets), $400 for enough to cover a 4'x8' is significantly less.

Of course, now that I have the molds and more than enough paint, I could reproduce my dungeon for probably closer to $200 in materials now (and it's only that expensive because I used close to $100 worth of clear resin water effect). The time investment is significant, but it's hard to argue with the results.

If you have the printer to handle it, I'd wonder if getting a ream of some high-quality cardstock paper and printing your own tiles might not be a better option for the price than using Terraclips.

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

#5 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

If you have the printer to handle it, I'd wonder if getting a ream of some high-quality cardstock paper and printing your own tiles might not be a better option for the price than using Terraclips.

Or, even better, back the cardstock with some foam-core board or the "pink stuff" from the hardware store, so it can hold up to seriously-heavy metal minis. I like the idea of Terraclips (e.g., I had fun with the Necromunda cardboard pieces and plastic bulkhead connectors, once upon a time), but the price is too far out of the casual range for me to grab a set (and the plastic clips, sold separately) just to "try it out."

#6 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2237 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

Funny you should mention it the same company makes this Terrain Links. Get a Continuous Ink Supply System and a RoboCutter (craft cutter) the start up is ~$400 but then making infinite paper dungeons would be a breeze. and pretty cheap.

Oh I realized that each set of Terra Clips set has an $18 extra charge at least because the sets don't come with the clips.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#7 flvolunteer

flvolunteer

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear the Terraclips are durable, that was my main concern. Also nice to know the rough estimate of table coverage for one set. The cost, as has been pointed out, is a detractor, but not so much that it is outside the realm of feasibility because I've got so little time that I need an out of the box solution. While I would much prefer to undergo a self-constructed options of a similar nature or using HA casts (which I love), I've resigned myself to the fact that it just isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future. What attracted me with Terraclips was the apparent sturdiness, 3-D effects and modularity that could be employed relatively quickly and still maintain a decent look and feel. Of course, maybe I can just fire up a Kickstarter titled "Get FLVolunteer Dwarven Forge Gaming Supplies", but I'm guessing that will be far less successful then the Bones Kickstarter :D

Thanks!
Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users