#1 Luethar

Luethar

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hey all,

Once your mini is painted what do you use to "seal" the paint job?

Lue.

#2 ub3r_n3rd

ub3r_n3rd

Master of the Threadjack

• Members
  • 5126 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

I think the consensus around here from all I've been reading is Testor's Dullcote

Minis finished: 28 and only hundreds 20 more to go!
2014 Tally: 5

My current projects are located on my WIP thread, feedback is appreciated! (New: Updated front page of thread to include a ToC of WIP/Show-off)
WIP's: A bunch on the to-do shelf (Current WIPs are TBD)

Founding member of the CashWiley Fan Clubâ„¢

#3 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3887 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

I hit it with a clearcoat like Rustoleum Crystal Clear first, then Dullcote. Dullcote can rub off if the figure is handled. The clearcoat won't.
  • estrus likes this
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#4 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

I don't manipulate my painted model often, so I only apply a matt seal coat on them and leave then on my display shelfs.

I'm currently using an anti shine matt aerosol varnish from The Army Painter company. I personally prefer matt varnish because other sealer tend to make the model seems like plastic.

I can then use brush-on gloss varnish on specific area like blood, acrid or whatever part that would look more natural with a shinny apparence. I'm actualy using Vallejo brush-on sealer, I have to admit I never tryed Reaper's brush-on sealer yet.

I have had bad experience using Armory sealer. I didn't shake the can enough and I ruined a paint job.

Citadel GW product are just too expensive for my taste.

#5 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12425 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Tamiya's clearcoats are pretty nice to use. Just don't use the pearl if your going for a non sparkly figure........... ^_^
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#6 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'm currently using an anti shine matt aerosol varnish from The Army Painter company. I personally prefer matt varnish because other sealer tend to make the model seems like plastic.

I also use the matte varnish spray on sealer from The Army Painter. I'm thinking of switching to Testor's Dullcote in the future; I'm undecided.

You just have to be careful to only do short spray bursts and not oversaturate the mini.

#7 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6406 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

Another using Army Painter matte spray. I've only done one mini with it (currently painting my second, Ogre will be my 3rd) but it's SO much better than the brush-on I used back in the 90s, even the matte brush on. Really makes for a nice crisp looking mini, but I dislike gloss.

#8 Furongian

Furongian

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have had bad experience using Armory sealer. I didn't shake the can enough and I ruined a paint job.

Me, too. One quick shot gave my miniature an opaque cloudy finish that ruined the paint job.

I just use Reaper brush-on sealer now.

#9 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3232 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Depending on the model and what I'm gonna use it for will determine what I personally use. I used satin polyuriethane spray for my Tyranids. They are a little shiny but it fits the bug look. Otherwise I'm using generic matt varnish for other stuff that isn't largely metalic.
Active Events: Lysette | Dragons 2013 | Bad Boys | TMBG 2014 | WX14 | RC Songs |
Click this link to my gallery! I need the hits! ::P: | 2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 23

#10 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

Krylon Gloss (2-3 coats) and Krylon Matte (1-2 coats) Both are non-yellowing. Everything I've painted is for some game and will be handled, sometimes a lot.
Bones KickStarter Links: http://www.reapermin...kstarter-links/

#11 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 9650 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

I usually go for Dullcote because I have to leave my painting for months at a time and I can just carry on from where I left off. For stuff that was going to get handled a lot I would likely then do a gloss spray on or matt brush on. I might then hit it with dullcote again.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

#12 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 4492 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

The general consensus in the art materials world is that matte finishes do not actually protect paint finishes. Whether varnishing a painting or protecting a mini, first one uses a (usually glossy) sealing coat, then if one wishes a matte finish one applies something matte.

So first something to seal the paint, then Dullcote.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Any sufficiently advanced technology you don't understand is indistinguishable from magic you don't understand."
-- Richard Garfinkle

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#13 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14210 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Two layers of testors gloss cote. One layer of dull to kill the shine.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#14 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2237 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

I don't because I have so many layers on a figure I think it makes my paint jobs hard as rock. If I do It is usually Krylon Krystal Klear Matte.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#15 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

You just have to be careful to only do short spray bursts and not oversaturate the mini.

It's also the way I do, short spray bursts. It's better to come back and apply a second thin layer rather then just one thick coat. I always seal my minis outdoor, so it's better when there is not too much wind. Other way even matt sealer can look shiny if you need to spray it too close to the mini because of the wind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users