• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 DrakeSpirit

DrakeSpirit

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

Im all for bones, they are cheap and much more forgiving with the painting, and they dont need to be primed (and they are what I have the most experience painting at this point).
I kept wondering why then frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me

#17 zoroaster100

zoroaster100

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 972 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

Sounds great. A Saturday in November would likely work for me. A Bones mini sounds like a good idea since it's easy for everyone to have it. Someone mentioned the dwarf. I have that one unpainted and handy if that is what you decide to do.

#18 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4441 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

Bones Dwarf sounds great!

Actually I think I'm gonna buy a couple extras just to experiment on. I've hears lots about filing these not going well. I also want to see what a drill does to them. And acetone. And fire. Though not necessarily in that order...
2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42
Bones II: #7355

#19 Talae

Talae

Definitively Indecisive

• Bones Supporter
  • 3757 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

Let us know the mini in advance so that people can order it if needed.

*Dwarf it is. I will place my order soon if my FLGS doesn't have it.

Talae's WIP Thread of Everything (including My Daughter and her Mad Paint Skills)

Aaaaand Talae ruins the fantasy.

That's his unofficial job around here...  :devil:

#20 DrakeSpirit

DrakeSpirit

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

Bones Dwarf sounds great!

Actually I think I'm gonna buy a couple extras just to experiment on. I've hears lots about filing these not going well. I also want to see what a drill does to them. And acetone. And fire. Though not necessarily in that order...

you would be absolutely correct about the filing not going well, you would do much better with a good xacto knife, the material is too soft and bendy for some files to bite properly
I kept wondering why then frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me

#21 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7680 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Problem with the xacto knife is that I'm not a surgeon. Which is good because people would be dead and the maintenance crew would be swamped with mopping up blood.
  • Girot likes this
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#22 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

Well, I just ordered two Bones dwarves! I figure that way if I botch the cleaning too badly, I have a backup. And if I don't then the second becomes parts!

Muhahahahaha!
  • Girot likes this

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#23 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4441 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

I'm gonna hit up the two FLGSs I frequent to find mine. Otherwise I'll order a couple via the Wired. I'm probably also going to paint one early to make sure I've got my ducks in a row before I commit an act of public FUBAR.

#24 Wren

Wren

Godlike

• Artists
  • 2228 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Problem with the xacto knife is that I'm not a surgeon. Which is good because people would be dead and the maintenance crew would be swamped with mopping up blood.

I'm not very comfortable with a knife, either. I've managed to stab myself into scars a couple of times just with files! I've been experimenting with prepping Bones lately. So far I've tried the hobby knife, two kinds of small diamond files and this micro chisel (http://www.missionmo...productid=16464).

I have actually been able to get a decent result with the diamond files, but as with the knife, the process is a little different than when used on a metal figure. It seems to work best if you file in one direction, and then go the other way to loosen the filed stuff off. If you've ever used a file on your nails, it's a bit similar to that, sometimes you have to do a little back and forth or gentle filing just at the base of the thing you're trying to remove. Also if you've previously used the files on metal, the metal will start coming off on the Bones plastic and it will look terrible. I clean my files by using sticky tack, the same kind I use to attach a mini to a holder. I press a blob on, then pull it off. (This is helpful to do periodically even if you only use files for metal.) You can also clean off any metal dust and some of the filed Bones material off a Bones figure in the same way, which really cleans up the area and makes it easier to see if the surface is relatively smooth.

The knife is quicker and cleaner and not too challenging to use on straight surfaces like weapons, and a better choice for getting off larger clumps of material. The micro chisel is a little easier to control than a knife, and little less dangerous for those of us uncomfortable with knives. (Though you could still puncture or cut yourself if you made an effort. With both, you don't want to scrape as you might with a metal or resin figure, but to run the sharp tool just under the mould line.

I'm doing a couple of figures with different methods of prep. I don't think it'll work to photograph them in their natural state, though I might try. Then I hope to get some base coats on and take pictures of some of the surface areas so people can compare the end result of the prep methods. (And ultimately I hope to go on to paint them and then test out different sealers as I did with primers, but I'm slow, so we'll see how that goes.)
  • CashWiley and ced1106 like this

#25 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7680 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Oh, not my own blood! :)

Some good info, thanks. I guess we'll all be experts in cleaning up Bones minis soon enough but there's definitely a learning curve (I missed a lot of transition years in materials).
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#26 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4441 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

My FLGSs, both of them, failed me. No worries! That just means I g0t to give even more of my money to Reaper directly! :bday: So I went ahead and got 3 Dwarves. I'll paint one a rehearsal and save the other two for conversion demonstration and painting demonstration.

I also got two more Worms. One is gonna end up a Sand Worm and the other will be a Lava Worm.

Lastly I just had to get that Minotaur. This has been one of my all time favorite fantasy creatures (him and Medusa) ever since I was my son's age.

#27 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 8476 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

Good luck, folks. I'm really impressed you can paint synchronized. I would go cra-a-azy.

But I'd love to hear how it goes.

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#28 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4441 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

you could always tune in and watch and cheer us on. participation is entirely optional and bonus conversation is most appreciated.

#29 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

I'd like to at least watch, but my schedule does not belong to me. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the date and hope that my "honey-do" list doesn't keep me away. ;)

This is a really cool thing you have offered.
  • Girot likes this
Bones KickStarter Links: http://www.reapermin...kstarter-links/

#30 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4441 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

So far we've settled on a Saturday in November. As soon as I figure out what day I can get for that I'll post it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users