Dan Goodchild

Reaper Wet Pallet?

43 posts in this topic

Hi folks. I was just perusing the Outrider Hobbies foam inserts for the lunchbox cases and found this quote in the description of the Hobby Tool Kit insert: "There is also a spot for an upcoming wet pallet to be released by Reaper."

Now, I've searched the Reaper shop and didn't see one so I'm guessing it's not released yet. If that's the case, do we know when it might be coming?

1 person likes this

Soon

Time is irrelavent. Tomorrows yesterday is last weeks sometime in the future. All of which could be Soon .

I need to try to use my wet palette more... I'm hung up on the little wells on my porcelain palette now though... I'm sure I'm wasting drops and drops of paint...

If what you're doing works well for you and gets you the results you want, then the paint you use doing it isn't really a waste. I've gone back and forth between types of palettes, though with either one I use a lot of paint. And despite using a lot of paint, I have replaced maybe a dozen or so bottles for using a colour up. I've replaced more paints than that for them being old and getting too gloopy and whatnot.

I'm not saying I don't value frugality or understand why people want to stretch their supplies as far as possible. I'm just arguing against making yourself feel like something is wasteful because you're using one tool over another if the tool you're using does what you want it to do in other respects.

3 people like this

I LOVE my homemade wet palette, even though it's too small. I'm a slow painter, so the added open time is invaluable. I'd rather give my money to Reaper for a superior wet palette than to Michael's or Hobby Lobby :)

That said, I still use dry wells for washes, because that's just what works best for me.

I bought a wet palette, but it didn't work very well. I'd buy a Reaper one, because you should know what it takes to make a good one.

Ishil

The wet palette I bought didn't have a water tight seal when closed. I wonder if the reaper one would? To those who have used them longer would a tight seal make the paints last longer like I think?

Argentee: I have a home-made wet palette made from a Rubbermaid bowl with a very tight-fitting lid. I've had paint last three weeks in it. Might have lasted longer but I threw out the parchment paper so I could start a new mini. :)

The Masterson's handy palette has a good seal, but not like a Rubbermaid bowl. I haven't tested, but I'm pretty sure it would leak. You can fit it inside a gallon zip-lock bag to extend paint life. Placing in the refrigerator will keep the paint wet longer, too.

BTW, I place parchment paper on top of the regular palette paper (or use parchment paper in place of it), which I think works better for the thin paints mini painters tend to use. It is also very cheap to replace, though it can be reused if you want to bother cleaning it.

I use a PP wet palette and love it. Unfortunately the box, staying moist over a prolonged time, is the perfect environment for mold growth! I have had a fine black mold grow on the paper.

I would love a reaper brand wet palette too! :)