Tranquil Ape

Wood Elf Mage 28FM0069 - WIP

10 posts in this topic

So while I was waiting for the green stuff on Archie to cure I was bored and started work on... wait for it... Woody!

Wood Elf Mage another from Scibor and I gotta say that I relly like a lot of the detail their resin minis... what I don't care for is the level of finish they have when they leave the factory. lots of molding lines, and voids that need to be cleared of extraneious material. This one wasn't so bad but Archie's wings alone took me forever.

Anyway... I got to work on this...

post-7704-0-78637800-1348882123_thumb.jpg

post-7704-0-40477900-1348882032_thumb.jpgpost-7704-0-26101900-1348882037_thumb.jpg

post-7704-0-79844400-1348882041_thumb.jpgpost-7704-0-52943700-1348882046_thumb.jpg

post-7704-0-36869100-1348882051_thumb.jpgpost-7704-0-44028700-1348882056_thumb.jpg

post-7704-0-45649200-1348882061_thumb.jpgpost-7704-0-31982200-1348882066_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Got up and played some WOW this morning but just before noon I went in to work on woody...

on these first couple pics you can see that i tried to make his hair lighter on top as if light was shining down... i decided against it...

post-7704-0-48168800-1348969200_thumb.jpgpost-7704-0-49747200-1348969205_thumb.jpg

post-7704-0-41054300-1348969210_thumb.jpgpost-7704-0-26615500-1348969215_thumb.jpg

I used some GS and some gamesworkshop brass stuff i had laying around to put some ivy coming out of the rockface, will paint when its nice and cured

post-7704-0-15572800-1348969220_thumb.jpg

I gotta say again, minis look fantastic at arms length but when i take photos up close... my god it looks like im painting while doing the hula-hoop

post-7704-0-23312000-1348969225_thumb.jpg

Is he holding a skipping rope?

Ishil

lol, no those are roots/vines sprouting up from the ground... sheesh... my wife said the same thing

After I added the little bits of leaves I was really a little disappointed in how everything turned out. I grabbed some green stuff and decided I would try to make some additional vines and such, how hard could it be right?

Working with greenstuff turned out to be more challenging than I thought. Making vines was pretty easy, the difficulty arose from just the handling of the material... very sticky. Water seemed to work on my fingertips every few moments but I had to continue to dunk my fingers every few minutes. Overall I think it turned out closer to what I wanted in the first place... And I haven't found the hideMyNewbishness filter for my camera yet.

post-7704-0-93893900-1349222076_thumb.jpgpost-7704-0-50667900-1349222082_thumb.jpg

post-7704-0-54485200-1349222087_thumb.jpgpost-7704-0-18698700-1349222093_thumb.jpg

Okay, this might sound weird, but I love his eyebrows! You did a fantastic job of making them look realistic but visible. The vines look very good and blend well into the bottom of the figure, looking quite natural! And I'm really digging on the wooden arm and leg. Coming along very well and I can't wait to see more ^_^

Thanks much... I usually have difficulty with eyes and faces in general. This mini is kind of wide open, no obstructions really so I was able to get in there better.

For the green stuff stickyness, the few times that I have used it, I used a bit of vaseline on my fingers and tools (as recommended in a few how to tutorials) and had no problems at all - just be sure to wipe it off after things have dried.

I thought about using vaseline but i wasnt sure if it would interfere with the curing process... good to know it won't.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now