46 replies to this topic

#1 Gamingdog

Gamingdog

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

Reaper makes incredible figures I own many as I'm sure you do with this being the official Reaper boards and all. the thing is I've always considered Reaper minis to be character minis. I mean yes there is the warlord line but when you look at the offering in the reaper lines it really is full of characters not armies.

I've just placed my order for the kickstarter bones pledge manager and have ordered seven additional sets of nova corp figures along with 3 sets of IMEF Marines with the current metal figures I already own plus the minis in the basic Vampire pledge level I'll have about 30 IMEF Marines and 50 Nova Corp minis. with the price point of the metal minis I would never have amassed this many minis of either faction but at the introductory price of $1.00 a figure I can. even if the price was $1.99 ( a guess based on human sized figures currently available) I'd still build these sized armies.

I look at the catalogue of minis especially in the chronocope line and I always wanted to buy the zulu and colonal British minis but the price point kept me away. I'd want at least 50 Brits and maybe 100 zulus but at about $5.00 a pop that's not going to happen. if they were $1.95 each well yea I could see myself actually buying them and building two armys. The same goes for the oppressor range in the chronocope line

The thing is I can't be alone here and if others are thinking like me Reaper might be in for a little surprise I mean at the local flgs the troop blisters like the aforementioned Brits and Zulus sit on the shelves I've always been interested in them but haven't bought any based on the price. if Reaper were to ever release them as bones I think they would fly off the shelf. perhaps Reaper would change from a company that primarily makes characters to one that is making whole army's for purchase. To be honest that's a move I would welcome. I'm a wargamer not a roleplayer.

#2 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2045 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

I was big into DnD Miniatures skirmish gaming for a few years, then things changed. I'd like to learn Warlord, I just need to find some local peeps.

#3 Exwilly

Exwilly

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

adding a few to my undead army, DnD pc, and got the demons for my 40k army(the fallen(dark angels) chaos space marines)
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#4 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'm a roleplayer and single minis kind of girl, but my husband plays Bloodbowl and has recently started Warhammer Fantasy something or another that requires armies. We bought extras of the undead horde and zombies, and some undead giants, with plans to pull everything Undead from the regular Vampire set. Also added the Orcapocalypse and will be pulling things to go with that. So I'm getting a bunch of random fantasy stuff I like, and he's getting two armies to play his new game. It works out great since with the pricing of even the crappy plastic on a sprue armies this is cheaper, and with far better minis.

#5 TheAuldGrump

TheAuldGrump

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1288 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Some will be jumping into my armies for Kings of War/Warhammer, others will be joining my stalwart Mordheim warbands, and others will be doing both.

I have dwarf armies in Warhammer and Kings of War (pretty much the same armies - my group does not care where the minis came from), and a dwarf warband in Mordheim. The bones dwarfs will be heroes in all three games.

I have undead armies in Warhammer and Kings of War, and an Undead Warband in Mordheim. Again, the Bones will be heroes, though not as many (They are pretty solid armies already.)

The Warbands and the Armies in each share models.

The heroes have been Reaper minis in both armies and warbands for a long time.

The Auld Grump
Si Tibi Narraremus
Te Interficere Debemus

#6 gaarew

gaarew

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'm looking at the Orcopalypse set as being a good start for army building when Foundry's God of Battles rules come out. I love the Foundry Orcs, but the pricing is getting out of my league and I love the Tre sculpts anyway.

Also, there are a few minis I think might fit into my Alternative Angmar (ie - anything except GW) force for War of the Ring.

#7 MiniCannuck

MiniCannuck

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1132 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

My gaming club plays a lot of different miniature games as well as a few role-playing games as well. Besides being a great start to various Warlord factions, I see these models making appearances in Warhammer Fantasy, Vortex, Savage Worlds and our Pathfinder sessions.

The possibilities are endless.... too bad my storage space isn't. I think I'll need a new addition to the house in March. :wacko:

#8 Dai-Mongar

Dai-Mongar

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 638 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

Well, the Orcpocalypse et al gives me a nice Kargir army for Warlord. There's plenty of minis for making Song of Blades and Heroes warbands, plus a few superhero types for SuperSystem. I also ordered a few extra NOVA troopers and IMEF marines for Combat Zone.

#9 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3716 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

I'm creating my own skirmish game(s) for Not-Aliens and Not-ResidenEvil scenarios. Acutally, come to think of it, I could manage a Not-Doom version too... I have use for the entire range of Chronoscope models. Virtually everything else I'm planning on using for Pathfinder.

2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42

tesune_avatar_by_girot-d7m9w4z.gifTesune in Boldly Into Darness Go

Download the Story Mode PDF to catch up!  Last updated 6-7-14

#10 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5458 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

I would LOVE to see some of the REaper Alien "Greys" turned into Bones, so I can do up a nice and large force for my "Redneck Rampage" con game I keep planning on...

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#11 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

I think this is the logical next step for the bones line, and Reaper should be thinking very carefully about how to build more posability, and more potential options into the next generation of Bones sculpts.

Of course, there's a crossover with their traditional role-playing market; When you're dealing with 'horde' monsters like Goblins, Orks, Skeletons and Zombies, a box of ten miniatures, with seperate, poseable arms and heads would appeal to most GM's who use miniatures - Particularly as since each and every one can be assembled as a distinct individual, keeping track of which opponent's taken what damage is simple. While for wargamers the same boxes are building blocks for a planned unit.
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

#12 nytflyr

nytflyr

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1382 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

im loving the new lizardmen, I'm sure some will show up in my army

¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤
Anything I paint that turns out better than tabletop is purely by accident!
Visit the Dirty 30s! - A sourcebook for Pulp RPGs... now with 10% More PULP!
Selling 30 years of gaming material, visit my eBay store!

Hirst Molds: 40, 45, 54, 55, 56, 60, 63, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 80, 84, 85, 86, 201, 203, 205, 235, 250, 260, 281, 282, 320, 321

#13 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3716 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Rather than army building in the traditional sense I was considering rewriting combat in Pathfinder to facilitate medium to large skirmish style scenarios. Personally I am really into the Swamp Things models and can't wait to get those painted.

2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42

tesune_avatar_by_girot-d7m9w4z.gifTesune in Boldly Into Darness Go

Download the Story Mode PDF to catch up!  Last updated 6-7-14

#14 ced1106

ced1106

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 750 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

I'm sick and tired of trying to fit miniatures from one game company into another game company's system, so was VERY glad when I heard of Song of Blades and Heroes. The game designer specifically created the game system so you could use miniatures from ANY company -- and you don't need a whole army. Plus, he made a ruleset for dungeon crawling. Nice.

And did I mention the calculated risk / "push your luck" game mechanic, rather than the boring "you move, I move" one?

Reaper said they make character mini's because that's what sells. DMs are reluctant to shell out money for monsters, while players will buy a specific mini for their character. No ideas exactly what issues Reaper would face if they moved to the GW "sell entire armies" miniatures model.

Song of Blades review:
http://rpgathenaeum....des-and-heroes/

#15 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 10343 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Ares is another "use your own" ruleset. Card-draw initiative, various size dice. Lots of fun! http://www.mj12games.com/ares/

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users