• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11261 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

I know this might be a difficult thing to set up, but I would buy bite-sized instructional videos through the iTunes store to run on my phone or iPad, which incidentally, are a lot easier to position conveniently to my painting than my computer is. This would be so amazingly convenient, as I could look up in frustration from the technique I was failing at, and buy the video for just that.
  • Niranth, Pingo and Gryfter_92 like this

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#2 kit

kit

The fine line between stupid and clever

• Super Administrators
  • 10046 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

That's a lovely idea.

I like it very much.

“If you asked people in 1989 what they needed to make their life better, it was unlikely that they would have said that a decentralized network of information nodes that are linked using hypertext.” - Sep Kamvar

#3 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2395 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

Indeed, for a couple bucks that could turn into a nice little revenue stream for Reaper.

#4 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 7964 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

That is brilliant.

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#5 Teskal

Teskal

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1248 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

I would love a solution which involve android, too. :-)
  • Qwyksilver likes this

#6 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2996 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

Oooh.. my Apple TV connected TV is in the same room as my painting station... that could be awesome... :)
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#7 Lastman

Lastman

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

There are so many free painting tutorials on youtube and tutofig.com I don't see why anyone would pay for them.
  • psyberwolfe1 likes this

#8 Shogan

Shogan

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

I would totally pay for some good instructional videos I can access via iPhone or iPad! YouTube is nice but it can be hit and miss.

#9 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2958 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

I'd be interested in this as well, but would prefer a platform not Apple specific, since I strongly dislike ITunes.
  • psyberwolfe1 and Exwilly like this

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

SHAZAM! 

#10 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

There are so many free painting tutorials on youtube and tutofig.com I don't see why anyone would pay for them.

Well, to give one example, I needed help on learning to paint flesh tones.

I search on Youtube: miniature shade fleshtones... most of the hits are on blinds?!?
I search for Miniature fleshtones... I get a hot lead video that's an ad for their DVD. Random hits on a fashion show... a bunch more that look like they might be promising. Lengths range from 6 minutes to 30... Vallejo paints, Citadel paints... Ok, I can watch a bunch of these and hope that I catch on.

Tutofig also has 53 tutorials on skin tone... eek. Ok, I'll look through those...

Four hours later, not feeling any more confident and my poor mini not looking any better, I ordered the LTPK2. I have maybe 6 hours on Sundays to paint. Maybe an hour on Saturdays, but that should be increasing after November. I feel like I've wasted a huge chunk of what should have been my fun time...

Though oddly enough one of the Youtube tutorials did help me a lot with figuring out paint thickness. Not the help I was looking for, but good to know!

So... would I pay 99 cents for a video from a Reaper? Quite likely. A lot less expensive than a LTPK, and it's there immediately. They'll be working with reaper paints, which is what I own. And I could buy one exactly for the technique I was interested in without a lot of wading through videos. A website of common problems: Paint has a grainy texture, highlights look chalky or pastels, paint keeps flooding the figure... With a link to possible causes Paint too thick, ???, paint too thin or too much of it... and then links to videos that might help: free video on judging paint thickness by various methods, 99 cent video on highlighting bright clothing, or shading white fur, or... whatever... Sounds wonderful to me.

Here's another way of looking at it... I know what my company says my time is worth. Given that figure per hour, buying a 99 cent video to show me exactly the technique I'm having a problem with is many, many times cheaper than spending even 15 minutes trying to find one for free.
  • Loim, Shogan, Niranth and 4 others like this

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#11 Shogan

Shogan

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Thank you Argentee! You put into words exactly what I was thinking!

#12 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2395 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Here's another way of looking at it... I know what my company says my time is worth. Given that figure per hour, buying a 99 cent video to show me exactly the technique I'm having a problem with is many, many times cheaper than spending even 15 minutes trying to find one for free.

Indeed.

Martin better start practicing his smooth "microphone" voice. ^_^

I'm suddenly imagining Martin painting something while Barry White's voice is dubbed over describing the painting action.
  • CashWiley likes this

#13 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I also should add that Reaper is already planning on going to video for the Learn to Paint Kits. That means an investment in equipment and/or personel has already been made.

IF the video for the LtPK has not been filmed yet, then getting additional footage of additional techniques should not represent a significant increase (percentage wise) in the investment. If the footage is already in the can, the math changes significantly.
  • Niranth likes this

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#14 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

I also should add that Reaper is already planning on going to video for the Learn to Paint Kits. That means an investment in equipment and/or personel has already been made.

IF the video for the LtPK has not been filmed yet, then getting additional footage of additional techniques should not represent a significant increase (percentage wise) in the investment. If the footage is already in the can, the math changes significantly.

I'd be willing to pay extra just for the video portion of the LtPKits. I have all the paints save the new set for CAV and have enough brushes. I would buy the minis either from my FLGS or straight from Reaper.
  • karpouzian likes this
Bones KickStarter Links: http://www.reapermin...kstarter-links/

#15 bkjohns96

bkjohns96

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

I would love to purchase video tutorials from iTunes. Reaper, take my money!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users