Brian Swartzmiller

Five man party

15 posts in this topic

If you were going to assemble a five man group what classes would you use? My first idea is the following:

1 warrior human male

2 cleric human female

3 ranger elf male

4 wizard elf (undecided on M/F)

5 thief dwarf male

I am open to all ideas and suggestions

What system? Why does gender play an issue? What style game?

1 person likes this

This will be the party that will be in my Diorama. Gender is no issue just wanted to mix it up a bit. the Diorama will be set in a D&D style world

2 humans, 2 elves.

Why not get a halfling or a half-orc into the group!

Finari. Female human paladin/fighter.

Rogan. Half orc thief.

Ivar. Male dwarf priest.

Cassie. Female gnome wizard.

Arthrand Night blade. Male elf ranger.

All reaper models. But figured folks would figure that out.

Edited by Qwyksilver
2 people like this

If I were going to assemble such a group in D&D or a similar game with a primary goal of effectiveness, I'd choose a heavily armored fighter, two clerics, and two wizards.

If I were working on a diorama, I'd ignore all that and find five character minis that I wanted to paint and that looked good together and completely ignore the effectiveness in game terms. In that case, I'm pretty sure I'd pick different minis than anyone else here, because taste is like that. (I'd also probably pick different minis tonight than tomorrow, for what that's worth.)

1 person likes this

1. Human Fighter (Cad)/Rogue (Thug)

2. Dwarven Fighter (Shielded Fighter)

3. Human Cleric (of Milani with Healing and Freedom domains)

4. Gnome Rogue (Trapsmith)

5. Tiefling Wizard (Conjuror)

1) Human Barbarian - Male

2) Dwarf Fighter - Male

3) Human Cleric - Female

4) Halfling Thief - Male

5) Elf Wizard (or sorceress) - Female

The barbarian gives you a big guy with the opportuninty for lots of skin showing (lightly armored).

The Dwarf and Cleric give you some nice Armor painting opportunities.

The Thief and Wizard give you some other "looks" with their attire.

You have decent mix of male/female and some classic races/class stereotypes. Plus, it'd make a workable party (in my opinion).

If I were working on a diorama, I'd ignore all that and find five character minis that I wanted to paint and that looked good together

Emphasis above is mine; I'd work from the idea of a traditional adventuring party (fighter, magic user, cleric, thief, +1), but my primary concern would be, do the miniatures make sense together? Having some models in dynamic/active poses and others in static would make no sense. I'd look for the 5 figures that I think best worked together, and then endeavor to make a diorama that brought them together cohesively.

Everything else would be secondary to that (class, race, sex, etc.).

~v

2 people like this

I'd work from the idea of a traditional adventuring party (fighter, magic user, cleric, thief, +1), but my primary concern would be, do the miniatures make sense together? Having some models in dynamic/active poses and others in static would make no sense. I'd look for the 5 figures that I think best worked together, and then endeavor to make a diorama that brought them together cohesively.

Actually, it could. Having a magic user staring off into the distance at some unknown object, or even at something nearby, while the rogue is actively looting his/her belongings could certainly be interesting.

1 person likes this

I'd work from the idea of a traditional adventuring party (fighter, magic user, cleric, thief, +1), but my primary concern would be, do the miniatures make sense together? Having some models in dynamic/active poses and others in static would make no sense. I'd look for the 5 figures that I think best worked together, and then endeavor to make a diorama that brought them together cohesively.

Actually, it could. Having a magic user staring off into the distance at some unknown object, or even at something nearby, while the rogue is actively looting his/her belongings could certainly be interesting.

Muahhahaahaaa!!!!! That so would have been me in my younger days........

Otherwise I agree with the majority here, for a diorama, go with characters that would complement each other to the naked eye......they should feel right, if they do, then the rest of it is just painting skills......

If it were me in the party, it would be a male necromancer (myself) and 4 succubi for the harem.... But I don't think that's what you're going for.

Male/Female can be whatever, though the most equitable is two male, two female, and a construct.

As for classes, I would go with a thief, a healer, a fighter/tank, a wizard, and a paladin/healer-fighter combo.

-Dave

Dwarf male fighter (axe)

Human male Cleric (mace and shield)

Elf female Wizard (staff)

Halfling Female rogue/thief (dagger)

Drow Male ranger (bow)

Dwarf male fighter (axe)

Human male Cleric (mace and shield)

Elf female Wizard (staff)

Halfling Female rogue/thief (dagger)

Drow Male ranger (bow)

dont you mean Drow Male Fighter(bow)