• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Swartzmiller

Brian Swartzmiller

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

If you were going to assemble a five man group what classes would you use? My first idea is the following:

1 warrior human male
2 cleric human female
3 ranger elf male
4 wizard elf (undecided on M/F)
5 thief dwarf male

I am open to all ideas and suggestions

#2 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15126 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

What system? Why does gender play an issue? What style game?
  • captenglish likes this

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#3 Brian Swartzmiller

Brian Swartzmiller

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

This will be the party that will be in my Diorama. Gender is no issue just wanted to mix it up a bit. the Diorama will be set in a D&D style world

#4 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2486 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

2 humans, 2 elves.

Why not get a halfling or a half-orc into the group!

#5 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15126 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Finari. Female human paladin/fighter.
Rogan. Half orc thief.
Ivar. Male dwarf priest.
Cassie. Female gnome wizard.
Arthrand Night blade. Male elf ranger.

All reaper models. But figured folks would figure that out.

Edited by Qwyksilver, 01 October 2012 - 08:39 PM.

• Adrift and Brian Swartzmiller like this

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#6 Doug Sundseth

Doug Sundseth

Wizard of Wavicles

• Members
  • 4523 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

If I were going to assemble such a group in D&D or a similar game with a primary goal of effectiveness, I'd choose a heavily armored fighter, two clerics, and two wizards.

If I were working on a diorama, I'd ignore all that and find five character minis that I wanted to paint and that looked good together and completely ignore the effectiveness in game terms. In that case, I'm pretty sure I'd pick different minis than anyone else here, because taste is like that. (I'd also probably pick different minis tonight than tomorrow, for what that's worth.)
  • Brian Swartzmiller likes this

#7 Gailbraithe

Gailbraithe

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

1. Human Fighter (Cad)/Rogue (Thug)
2. Dwarven Fighter (Shielded Fighter)
3. Human Cleric (of Milani with Healing and Freedom domains)
4. Gnome Rogue (Trapsmith)
5. Tiefling Wizard (Conjuror)

#8 The Inner Geek

The Inner Geek

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1380 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

1) Human Barbarian - Male
2) Dwarf Fighter - Male
3) Human Cleric - Female
4) Halfling Thief - Male
5) Elf Wizard (or sorceress) - Female

The barbarian gives you a big guy with the opportuninty for lots of skin showing (lightly armored).
The Dwarf and Cleric give you some nice Armor painting opportunities.
The Thief and Wizard give you some other "looks" with their attire.

You have decent mix of male/female and some classic races/class stereotypes. Plus, it'd make a workable party (in my opinion).

If a chicken an a half can lay an egg an a half in a day an a half,
how long will it take a monkey with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?

#9 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5996 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

If I were working on a diorama, I'd ignore all that and find five character minis that I wanted to paint and that looked good together

Emphasis above is mine; I'd work from the idea of a traditional adventuring party (fighter, magic user, cleric, thief, +1), but my primary concern would be, do the miniatures make sense together? Having some models in dynamic/active poses and others in static would make no sense. I'd look for the 5 figures that I think best worked together, and then endeavor to make a diorama that brought them together cohesively.

Everything else would be secondary to that (class, race, sex, etc.).

~v
  • psyberwolfe1 and Brian Swartzmiller like this

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Look! Auctions!! Buy my stuff!!!

#10 Atramagus

Atramagus

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

I'd work from the idea of a traditional adventuring party (fighter, magic user, cleric, thief, +1), but my primary concern would be, do the miniatures make sense together? Having some models in dynamic/active poses and others in static would make no sense. I'd look for the 5 figures that I think best worked together, and then endeavor to make a diorama that brought them together cohesively.

Actually, it could. Having a magic user staring off into the distance at some unknown object, or even at something nearby, while the rogue is actively looting his/her belongings could certainly be interesting.
  • Gryfter_92 likes this

#11 Gryfter_92

Gryfter_92

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

I'd work from the idea of a traditional adventuring party (fighter, magic user, cleric, thief, +1), but my primary concern would be, do the miniatures make sense together? Having some models in dynamic/active poses and others in static would make no sense. I'd look for the 5 figures that I think best worked together, and then endeavor to make a diorama that brought them together cohesively.

Actually, it could. Having a magic user staring off into the distance at some unknown object, or even at something nearby, while the rogue is actively looting his/her belongings could certainly be interesting.

Muahhahaahaaa!!!!! That so would have been me in my younger days........

#12 Gryfter_92

Gryfter_92

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Otherwise I agree with the majority here, for a diorama, go with characters that would complement each other to the naked eye......they should feel right, if they do, then the rest of it is just painting skills......

#13 dispatchdave

dispatchdave

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1347 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

If it were me in the party, it would be a male necromancer (myself) and 4 succubi for the harem.... But I don't think that's what you're going for.

Male/Female can be whatever, though the most equitable is two male, two female, and a construct.
As for classes, I would go with a thief, a healer, a fighter/tank, a wizard, and a paladin/healer-fighter combo.

-Dave

Be a gentleman. It is charming and infuriating, respectively, to exactly the people you want it to be.

My brain is not sick, my brain just is. And sometimes I need a little help to function in a society not designed for my cognition.

-http://wolvensnother...-the-brain?og=1

Hirst Arts Molds: 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 54, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61, 80, 85, 201, 202, 230, 235, 240, 245, 250

#14 Shogun

Shogun

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Dwarf male fighter (axe)
Human male Cleric (mace and shield)
Elf female Wizard (staff)
Halfling Female rogue/thief (dagger)
Drow Male ranger (bow)

#15 Exwilly

Exwilly

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Dwarf male fighter (axe)
Human male Cleric (mace and shield)
Elf female Wizard (staff)
Halfling Female rogue/thief (dagger)
Drow Male ranger (bow)

dont you mean Drow Male Fighter(bow)
  • Shakandara and dispatchdave like this
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users