• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2996 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

Ok so I searched through my minis and found one that is unpainted and vaguely suitable for the competition.

02678: Swamp Hag
Posted Image
Picture from Reaper Store.

At this point I have cleaned off mold lines, glued her to a base from one of the Pathfinder Reaper minis (it has a nice little lip on it and her base fit perfectly inside it) and given her a light undercoat with a cheap white matt spray (which I will not be using on any further Bones miniatures).

2012-10-02 12.19.38.jpg

Thanks to Lastman I have picked an image to use as reference while painting her. http://www.comics.or...214092/cover/4/

I'll have to mix colours to get that blue/green outer robe colour...should be fun..and then there is working out how to make water for the tiny bits of space left around her base on the base I have mounted her on.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#2 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3219 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

given her a light undercoat with a cheap white matt spray (which I will not be using on any further Bones miniatures).

Spray paint or spray primer? Did the bones plastic 'react' to the spray or did the spray fill in a lot of detail?

"Life gives you lemons you make lemonade, Life gives you whales... whale burgers." -Cadaver

#3 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2996 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

I've had a lot of trouble with the Bones I have undercoated with the paint on top getting fine cracks in random spots. I've never seen this on metal minis, and I've used the same undercoat and paints on metals, in fact some were done at the same time as the Bones. No cracks on the metals, cracks on the Bones.
I have also painted several Bones models without undercoat with no problems, so no more undercoating Bones for me.

To answer the second part; "White Undercoat". Its $5 from the local auto-shop and works great on metal models, but apparently is bad on Bones.

#4 Lastman

Lastman

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

I was reading about plastic food storage containers and the risk of unhealthy vapors being emitted in certain conditions. Remember the odor of a freshly opened bag of plastic army men?

I wonder if this plastic is still "breathing" after going through the production process.

Perhaps they need to be aged before priming or painting?

#5 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2996 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:43 AM

Its only the ones I've undercoated that I've had a problem with the cracks, and it doesn't go all the way through just back to the undercoat. Bones work, as advertised, just fine without an undercoat. I just need some brush undercoat for resin bases for when I rebase models.

#6 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12215 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

I was reading about plastic food storage containers and the risk of unhealthy vapors being emitted in certain conditions. Remember the odor of a freshly opened bag of plastic army men?

I wonder if this plastic is still "breathing" after going through the production process.

Perhaps they need to be aged before priming or painting?

This is plasticizer leach, which is common to all plastics but much more prevalent in soft plastics since they contain more plasticizer. Bones seems to be better in this regard than most soft plastics - and probably whatever mix they use means the plastic retains more plasticizer, both making it more amenable to direct painting and meaning they shouldn't get brittle and crumbly over time.

But really, they haven't been around long enough for us to know how they'll behave long term. I think Legendary Encounters is made of the same stuff, though - how long have they been around? I remain eternally suspicious of plastics, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have good reason to be.