• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2243 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Looking great! That Dota2 art guide is a real game changer.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#17 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3005 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

For this model life was easy, but for my purple highlander with a yellow tartan the Dota2 has only bad things to say about him :)
  • psyberwolfe1 likes this
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#18 Lastman

Lastman

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

That DOTA2 Character Art Guide PDF is showing up as a broken link for me, but I think the problem is with my adobe reader.

Does anyone have that doc available for download elsewhere so I can be sure?

#19 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2243 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

No but if you right click on the link you can click "Save Target As" and it will download it to your hard drive.
  • Lastman likes this

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#20 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3005 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Ok base coat for the flesh (which is a mixture of exposed muscle and skin) and clothing is now applied. The clothing is going to be a pain in the butt because every time I want to work with it I need to mix a new batch...

2012-10-05 13.35.20.jpg

Now I'm not sure where I should go next. Do I layer on more of the base or do I work on shadows then highlights, or work up to highlights and then use glazes to put deeper shadows in?

#21 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3005 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

So no ideas/advice?

#22 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2493 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:03 AM

I'd suggest darkening up any 'ridges' between the muscle striations if you can. This will help authenticate the exposed muscle. I'd also highlight some areas to make them a little more pink; just a few choice spots not diffuse.

#23 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3005 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

So deepen the shadows across the model then come back for the highlights?

#24 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3005 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

OK so I worked over her skin tonight and she got a general glaze over her flesh and dress in violet shadow with a touch of bronzed flesh. It doesn't show up in the photo well but it has started lifting the definition on her exposed muscles and has given a little depth to her skin.

I will probably apply another glaze at least to her skin, and maybe 2 or three more to her muscle to build definition without lightening the colour there, because the muscle needs to be a very red colour as its highlights.

I've also added highlights to the bone she is holding and the one on her right thigh. I'll be getting highlights on all the bone areas over the next few nights before I come back and glaze in some shadows on them.

She is very hard to take photos of on the phone at this stage just because the areas where there has been progress are relatively small on the model.

2012-10-10 22.12.07.jpg

Given the above comments any specific advice is welcome.
  • Nocturne likes this

#25 Dan d'Lyon

Dan d'Lyon

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1002 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Hard to tell from the picture, but if you haven't done it you could make the exposed muscle appear "wet" to make it a tiny bit more creepy. The flesh areas are looking good, so perhaps time to start adding definition to the clothing? I like the way this is shaping up. Nice work!

#26 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3005 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

Ok I've tried to create that "wet and glistening" look with extreme white highlights. It is a little more subtle on the miniature, my phone just isn't a good enough camera to pick up the level of shading on the muscles.

I've darkened the shadows on the clothing with another layer of violet shadow.

I've finished the face (I think), though it doesn't show well in this picture.

Again comments and ideas are desired.

2012-10-11 20.39.48.jpg
  • CashWiley likes this

#27 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7540 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

That's really starting to come together nicely! Skin is looking great and the exposed muscle is gross I mean awesome :) I like the almost specular highlight for the wet look, great effect.
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#28 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3005 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

I've made some progress on the Hag again, mostly working on the bone elements to get a more "bone" look for them.

The pictures don't focus on her, instead I decided to include a shot of the other minis that I'm working on with her aiming to have them all finished by the weekend.

All the other minis are class Citadel Half-Orcs.

2012-10-24 23.06.05.jpg
2012-10-24 23.06.53.jpg
  • ub3r_n3rd and klyons99 like this

#29 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2493 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

I LOVE where she is going!!! The flesh looks excellent!

Honestly, I think the hair looks a little too clean. She's a nasty old hag after all. I'd like to see you thin out a dark or mid-brown shade (a lot) and do a glaze over the hair to dirty it up a bit. I also wouldn't worry about making sure it goes on perfectly either, if it's a little lighter or darker in spots all the better.

The bone is great! I've loving the raw/exposed muscle, well executed!

Plans for the basing?

#30 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3005 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

Actually her hair isn't done yet! So all of those comments are quiet timely. :)

Nothing fancy with the base. Paint her rock, get some 5 minute 2 part epoxy to make "water" for the corners and done.

I really need to get her dress done then I can do the final elements; hair, ropes, and base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users