• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 recruittons

recruittons

Arch Magi of Figmentia Exchangus

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Here are a couple of minis I did this afternoon I attempted a speed paint, so I only allowed myself 40 minutes per figure because I'm hoping to improve my time/mini in preparation for the mini-ganza I'll be doing in March!

I also tried out doing some NMM on the weapons and a bit on the armor of the Chaos Knight.

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

I feel like I did alright for a quickie, especially the Fimir. The Chaos Knight took longer than I was aiming for because of the NMM attempts, and finding out too late that red NMM is only red and gray/black, and not white for highlights. I am a fool!

Also, I dipped the knight because I thought the glossy look worked for his armored self, but not so much for the lizardy Fimir.

ETA: Okay, the Fimir is now dipped, and dullcoted. I also added an iris to his eye, touched up a few places, and put in some faint highlights on his head, shoulders, thighs and forearms. Oh, and I painted his nails, so he can be beautiful for the boys!

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG
  • CashWiley and ub3r_n3rd like this
Posted Image

#2 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

Nice work, the NMM is a great start..I love seeing Hero Quest minis painted. Now, let's talk about those horns... ^_^

#3 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Yeeeah... I sorta didn't like that ball in between the horns and clipped it off a little messily.
Posted Image

#4 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9344 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

That Chaos Knight stood in for many a bad guy in our old campaign. Weird thing is, I think he was the only HeroQuest mini to make it. The rest mysteriously disappeared.

Current Bones Count:  Total:  awaiting recount  Painted:  132

#5 Caffiene

Caffiene

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Nice. I like the spots on the Firmir's back in particular - looks really natural to me.

My own old HeroQuest stuff is waiting until I get the KS paints next year, so its good inspiration to see other people doing them. Although its still kind of a daunting task... unlike Buglips, Ive got dozens and dozens of them.

Not sure if I approve of the missing bauble on the Chaos Warrior's helmet or not...

#6 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, going through the HeroQuest stuff, apparently I'm missing every single undead creature in the set except the Necromancer. I thought it was better preserved than this... Also, I still have 1 more Chaos Knight left, and his bauble is quite intact. Next time, I'll keep it on, for posterity.

I still have a ton of goblins and orcs to paint though!
Posted Image

#7 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3684 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Looks good! I need to strip my Chaos warriors, they get a nasty coating of Tamiya back in my late teens.
Happiness is just a word to me
And it might have meant a thing or two
If I'd known the difference
Emptiness, a lonely parody
And my life, another smokin' gun
A sign of my indifference...

-Seatbelts, "Gotta Knock A Little Harder"

I pretty much agree with everything that Last Knight said.

#8 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2845 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

I recommend dipping the Fimir and then hitting it with a matt varnish to kill the shine.

They both look good as tabletop minis though.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#9 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'd been considering it. Even with dullcote, though, there is still a considerable amount of shininess that comes through. Although, with how reptilian he looks, I don't think a little skin glisten would be so bad, and with a couple of coats of dullcote, he shouldn't be as shiny as the chaos warrior.
Posted Image

#10 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Ahhhh screw it. I gave him the dip. Once he cures and I've hit him with a coat or 2 of dullcote, I'll post another pic of him! Thanks for pushing me over the edge on that, OC. Right after dipping some of those extremely shallow details that weren't quite popping came out much clearer. Something about the Heroquest stuff just loves being dipped, in my eye.
Posted Image

#11 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Very Nice. I guess I must have gotten out of gaming before these came out, because I do not remember them at all. I got out of Fantasy gaming during the high point of D&D second edition, Then moved on to Twilight 2000 and BattleTech / MechWarrior.
I really like Fimir. Looks like a fun figure to paint.

#12 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6409 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Very Nice. I guess I must have gotten out of gaming before these came out, because I do not remember them at all. I got out of Fantasy gaming during the high point of D&D second edition, Then moved on to Twilight 2000 and BattleTech / MechWarrior.

Hah, my band was still playing 1st ed AD&D in the early 90s!

#13 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words. It's a bit chilly so the varnish could take a bit to cure fully, so I'm going to wait overnight before dullcoting my little fimir friend. One he's done with that, expect an update. Although, in my opinion, it was definitely an improvement.

@cookjimjr: It came out in 1990 in the United State, originally, which I think is around the time you left. It's really fun, though! It's the earliest D&D-esque board game I can think of, but I could be wrong.
Posted Image

#14 Caffiene

Caffiene

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

Its a good thing this thread made me get my stuff out to have a look at... Theyre in need of cleaning and look like theyve developed a few stress marks since last time I looked at them. I need to take better care of them.

On the bright side, though, from what I can research on the net I still have every figure Im supposed to have (game plus Kellar's Keep and Witch Lord expansions). Only things missing are two swords broken off from goblins. Ive got so many little placeable skulls... Id forgotten about some of the nice dungeon dressing, too.

I guess I must have gotten out of gaming before these came out, because I do not remember them at all. I got out of Fantasy gaming during the high point of D&D second edition

You must have just missed them. HeroQuest is circa 1989/1990 just like AD&D 2nd Ed.

Although I gather it came out in the UK first (its a Games Workshop game) and took a year or two in getting to the US.

#15 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

@Caffiene: If you can stand losing little bits, the rats and skulls are awesome basing material. I've used a skull for one of my ogre's bases, another to top off a weapon, and I have the rats at the ready for any generic dungeon base or sewer basing I want to do.

And you're right about the dressings. The cardboard is a bit cheesy, but the wizard's desk and the sarcophagus/tomb are really well done and could definitely fit into a lot of different ideas.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heroquest, fimir, chaos knight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users