• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 papabees

papabees

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1732 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'd like to find some nice durable perfectly square 6"x6" bases for a terrain project. I priced some at Litko and 8 of them were $100 bucks. Way more than I wanted to spend. So...any ideas. Light in weight would be preferable.

#2 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5808 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

My only really good suggestion is to get a piece of hardboard (masonite) or mdf of the thickness you want and have home depot or lowe's cut it for you if you don't own a table or radial arm saw of some kind.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#3 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1138 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

6" x 6" ceramic floor tiles are less than a buck each but may be too heavy.

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#4 recruittons

recruittons

Arch Magi of Figmentia Exchangus

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

You can find 6" wide, and several foot long pieces of hard basewood at a hobby store like Hobby Lobby. Some of it is quite light and weak, but there should also be a set which is more dense and sturdy. If you have a tablesaw or jigsaw, it's trivial to cut it into appropriate squares. Also, it's really cheap, only a few dollars and it's good for ~4 6x6 bases!
Posted Image

#5 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5808 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Yes, Hobby Lobby would have that. The softer wood is Balsa the harder wood is Bass wood
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V

#6 recruittons

recruittons

Arch Magi of Figmentia Exchangus

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Thank you! I knew the soft stuff was balsa, but didn't know the name of the more dense stuff! Bass wood is pretty darn good. I'm going to be buying a few pieces of it when I get my vampire sets.
Posted Image

#7 papabees

papabees

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1732 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

Cool. Thanks for the tips.

#8 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5808 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

Here is something you can make from basswood, but it won't fit on a 6x6 base.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users