• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Here is Na'Kaat; another commission piece completed. It has been a busy last 7 days both at work and at home, so I did not get a lot of time to paint. I started her last Monday and just got her done yesterday. All in all I got about 7 hours in on her and the base took another hour (A lot of that in drying time for the grren stuff and paint coats) This mini is for my customers granddaughter (Age 12). She wanted her painted as 1/2 Metallic Sapphire Dragon. I did not have Metallic Sapphire Blue, so I adapted. I base coated her in a Mix of Cyan Blue and True Blue, then shaded with Metallic Sparkling Blue and highlighted with a mix of Metallic Pearl white and True blue. I like the color scheme the customer chose. It worked out well.

C & C welcome.

SDC15928-1.jpg SDC15930-1.jpg
SDC15933-1.jpg SDC15935-1.jpg

Larger Photos since these were kind of small.

SDC15929.JPG SDC15930.JPG
SDC15933.JPG SDC15935.JPG
  • Ishil, Amalor Myrnnyx, MamaGeek and 6 others like this

#2 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7301 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

Wow, someone is going to be happy! What strong visuals and great color choices, it really jumps at you but somehow keeps from being garish despite the bright colors. I really like it!
  • cookjimjr likes this
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#3 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

Wow, someone is going to be happy! What strong visuals and great color choices, it really jumps at you but somehow keeps from being garish despite the bright colors. I really like it!

Thanks. I thought so also. I just saw how small these photos are. If anyone wants to see larger photos, I think I can get them 1 step larger. This is one of those rare paint jobs that actually looks good even blown up.
  • CashWiley likes this

#4 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5363 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

I'd love to see a larger photo as I'd like to get a closer up look of the scales\skin.

This may just be what the customer requested but it's a shame there's such a plain base with such a colorful and dynamic miniature. Mixing some reds or oranges into the stone as a light wash would make it come together as a whole.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#5 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Jim...you are really progressing along at a fast clip....each mini is better and better man! The only minor gripe I have is with the rocks on the base...they look a bit flat and could use a bit more weathering, shading, and highlighting to make them pop a bit more....other than that though, perfect!

#6 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7301 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

I disagree about the basing, I think it looks good with the greys of the mini and adds to the impact of the blue skin.

But rule #1 is you should never listen to me, as I'm a rebel and troublemaker. When everyone was mixing super clean, reverb-drenched 80s albums, I was mixing hot garage sounding songs. A year later, Nirvana happened...if I had stuck with recording rather than giving up beating my head against the machine, I'd be retired on my own island now :p
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#7 BlackWraith

BlackWraith

• Bones Supporter
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Very Nice. I tend to agree with cash. A brighter base may take away from the bright colors of the model.

#8 Atramagus

Atramagus

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Great mini. I love Dragonmen in general, but then I read a lot of Dragonlance growing up...

#9 recruittons

recruittons

Arch Magi of Figmentia Exchangus

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

He's absolutely stunning! I love how bright that blue is and am loving the adornment on the shield. The shading on it is spectacular.
Posted Image

#10 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

I just added larger photos to the top of the page, so you all can get a better look. I always hesitate when putting larger photos on the web, since they get over magnified and you see things that you would not normally see with the naked eye. Of course with me since I have really bad eye sight, It takes quite a bit of magnification to see some of the rough spots anyway, but I usually go with what my customers think and they all agree that most photos usually do not do the figure justice because a camera can not interpret what the human eye and brain do. This mini was the exception to that rule, I think it looked good in all the photos I took.

I want to think everyone for the comments and critique. I will use the suggestions on future figures.

As for the basing, I knew by adding the static grass my camera would make the photos look different since it does not seem to like green. I still might add some golden brown grass to pull the gold color down, but that would be the only change I think It might need. The base highlighting disappeared some in the photos, but I think the way it shows in the photos looks good as well. Sometimes adding color to the base actually takes away from the main focus of the figure and in this case I think it would.

#11 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2051 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

I'd love to see a larger photo as I'd like to get a closer up look of the scales\skin. This may just be what the customer requested but it's a shame there's such a plain base with such a colorful and dynamic miniature. Mixing some reds or oranges into the stone as a light wash would make it come together as a whole.

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. :ph34r:
  • MonkeySloth likes this

#12 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

Adrift - Normally I would have added the green static grass, but the customer said basic basing so I did not add it. Not that the green would have added to the appeal of the mini or the base. I might have played some other kind of shrubbery in there if this was for more than gaming. Also I guess mentally I was so proud of the paint job, I did not want to spoil the view. This is one of the rare figures where I actually painted the mini and made the base separately, not combining them until after it was dull coated. I might try the coloring within the stones on the next non-commission mini I do.

#13 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2051 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Nah it's cool, honestly the shield and the base draw my eye from top to bottom, so it isn't a deal-breaker. I love your work regardless.

#14 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5363 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

I'd love to see a larger photo as I'd like to get a closer up look of the scales\skin. This may just be what the customer requested but it's a shame there's such a plain base with such a colorful and dynamic miniature. Mixing some reds or oranges into the stone as a light wash would make it come together as a whole.

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. :ph34r:

Sig'ed.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#15 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Beautiful work, the color are vibrant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users