50 replies to this topic

#1 Maceswinger

Maceswinger

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

So I'm currently running the good 'ol Savage Tide Adventure path. We are nearing the end of the 3rd part "The Sea Wyverns wake" and in the last game the party just faced the aquatic Hydra. One of the players, playing a Bard got devoured by the said Hydra. Character Deaths happen, I know that, but this player has burned through 10 characters by now and we are not even halfway through the adventure path. Its not that the player is reckless in his playing style its just he makes alot of bad decisions or gets talked into these by the other players and is usually the victim of a heck of alot of critical fumbles from heal checks. He doesn't take it too seriously and really isn't mad when the PC dies. I am not a mean DM and don't really enjoy killing PCs but sometimes you can't let those stupid decisions go "unpunished". So my questions are what is your groups death record? How many deaths do you feel are normal in standard style module? Should my player maybe try another game insted of D&D?
For the classes he has played: 9 clerics and 1 Bard...but he is back to a cleric for his next character again.
Maceswinger- Wielder of the mighty Sword of Vermin slaying
Mice Slain: 9

Even the worst painted Miniature looks better then one with no paint at all

Kill the ticks! All bow before the might of the Crypt Legion.

#2 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12249 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

My current group has shared the DM chair between four of us at different times, and my current DM when I first played alongside him went through thirty-something characters. It got to the point he showed up with them pre-rolled in a binder. A couple of them were around long enough to tell us their name, and then straight into the rotating knives.

And then I had a paladin who screwed up 8 rolls in a row, all critical misses and fumbles, before being carried off to his doom by bugs.

It happens. So long as he doesn't think you're doing it on purpose, and you know you're not, then it's copasetic. That many cleric deaths is unusual, though - generally they tend to be the safest class. Is the group not protecting their medic? If they're not, encourage the player to not make one and don't give the group one until they learn different. You want to live, you protect the restorer. You don't protect the restorer, you don't deserve to live.

Mind you this also means the cleric shouldn't be up at the front battling like a fighter, either. They mostly can, and fairly adeptly, but their job is support. Unless it's undead, then they should probably be on point.

Buglips was a goblin cleric and very rarely fought at all. I pushed a kobold out a window, hit a beholder in the eye with a rock, and one time I fought ferociously to protect the fallen party from three drow priestesses (after I killed one with lucky rolls, the others decided that whatever I might look like, it was certain I was no goblin, so they chose discretion). I think that's actually the sum total of all of Buglips's combat experience in two years of playing and 15 levels.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.
  • The Basilisk, ub3r_n3rd and Aard_Rinn like this
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#3 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11258 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

Sigged.

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#4 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12249 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

Any time anybody, ever, in any edition of D&D, complains about something "game-breaking"? You tell them about the 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms Wild Mage.

Nothing but menace.
  • sethohman, The Basilisk, Adrift and 2 others like this
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#5 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5995 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

Its not that the player is reckless in his playing style its just he makes alot of bad decisions or gets talked into these by the other players

I'd put forth that dying a lot because of bad decisions *is* reckless. Perhaps it isn't "charge into the fray, swinging the mace wildly" reckless, but not making smart choices about what you should be doing is still a form of reckless behavior.

Unlike you, I have no qualms about killing characters in my home campaign. I don't consider myself to be a "killer DM", or mean or cruel. I choose to run a challenging campaign, and with that challenge comes the risk of character death, and even the possibility of TPK. My players know that I run a hard game, but that I also apply the rules fairly and equally. There are some PCs that die more frequently than others in my game, whether by chance, poor tactics, or a combination of both. It is my goal for the players to have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes (or be doomed to repeat them).

Since this player doesn't seem to be overly upset about his character deaths, I'd say it probably isn't much of an issue. However, you might want to take him aside and have a conversation with him about what mistakes have resulted in his recent character deaths. Explain to him how it would help you to have his characters survive longer (I'm sure introducing new characters over and over again for him gets tiresome and inconvenient), and make some suggestions on what he might be able to do to prevent his frequent demise. Let him know that your goal is for everyone to have a good time, and that although the high number of deaths for his characters is somewhat humorous, the whole group would benefit from the consistency of his character surviving for more than a few sessions.

~v
  • ub3r_n3rd likes this

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Look! Auctions!! Buy my stuff!!!

#6 sethohman

sethohman

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1922 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Any time anybody, ever, in any edition of D&D, complains about something "game-breaking"? You tell them about the 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms Wild Mage.

Nothing but menace.

My 2E Wild Mage was probably the most fun I ever had as a PC. And, I killed the other PC :)

Mike

I hope never to be a giraffe named Marius in Denmark.

#7 dwarvenranger

dwarvenranger

Doglike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1489 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Crit happens
Grow Stronger

#8 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15029 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

I'd also talk to the group. It sounds like they are actively encouraging the player to make bad decisions and the player may be doing it to fit in/feel accepted/be funny.

If the group doesn't care and neither does the player its not a big deal. Also try to find ways to bring the dead character (s) back. Add a side plot off the path. Pissed off sibling learns of the death. PC becomes NPC - you left me for dead! If the player and party don't like this maybe they all start working to keep the player alive.

Character death can also be caused by apathy. The player doesn't care enough. Or because new shiny in the latest Advanced Book. Or maybe the player just likes making PCs.

I know I always have a spare character or two in the wings. We usually try to retire PCs in my campaign if a player needs s change. Bring them back for one offs as appropriate etc.

Savage Tide also chews through melee based characters with all the grapple hell.
  • Shakandara likes this

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#9 Exwilly

Exwilly

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

snagged it also
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#10 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12249 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Nothing but menace.

My 2E Wild Mage was probably the most fun I ever had as a PC. And, I killed the other PC :)

Did you explode? In the end, they all explode. Since that got introduced, I've seen somewhere around twenty, twenty-five wild mages. Every. Last. One. Exploded.

My Mystran survived three exploding wild wizards, and then decided that something had to be done about this most unnatural, reckless use of magic. Mystra approved, many heads were thusly split. Examination of the craniums revealed undernourished brains and a significant absence of residual explodium.