• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2471 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Most character deaths in my games tend to occur b/c one or more player does something that they realize (in retrospect) they did something blatantly foolish. I'd say it's fairly equal with whether it occurs due to being too aggressive or careful.

#17 dwarvenranger

dwarvenranger

Doglike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1500 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

I generally find that most deaths are a result of someone deciding to hog the glory and not playing as a team member. And also those who think that their lightly armored, medium BAB character is going to slip into the tanks shoes.
  • Gailbraithe likes this
Grow Stronger

#18 Gailbraithe

Gailbraithe

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

That many cleric deaths is unusual, though - generally they tend to be the safest class. Is the group not protecting their medic? If they're not, encourage the player to not make one and don't give the group one until they learn different. You want to live, you protect the restorer. You don't protect the restorer, you don't deserve to live.

This was my thought. Generally if the cleric is dead, so is the rest of the party.

#19 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12319 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

Although surprisingly, in our current campaign when the dwarf cleric is off working his IT job and can't make it, the remaining characters actually get significantly more reckless.

Heck, we don't even have healing potions.

The only thing keeping me alive is fast-talking and blind luck. I kind of like it, actually.

I think it works because it's a low-power campaign. I'm level six and we have found precisely zero magical items. Which means our enemies are also similarly bereft. So it's a lot harder to up and die when the DM isn't compensating for the party's loot bag . . . and also there's a notable absence of exploding wizards.
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#20 Maceswinger

Maceswinger

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

They are actually doing ok without a cleric.However they are pretty decked out in potions and still have a few charges on the "cure wounds staff" they got from the bullywug shaman in "the bullywug gambit".
Our Sorcerer is actually way better in staying behind the fighters and has a lot of spells to stop opponents so he can go in and heal the wounded with potions and what not...basically he has become our E.M.H (Emergency Medic Hero) :;):
Maceswinger- Wielder of the mighty Sword of Vermin slaying
Mice Slain: 9

Even the worst painted Miniature looks better then one with no paint at all

Kill the ticks! All bow before the might of the Crypt Legion.

#21 Maceswinger

Maceswinger

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Well we just finished the Sea Wyverns wake a few minutes ago and the said player decided on a Druid this time around and actually survived. It seemed the animal companion feature of the druid was good for him because his pet could attack (so he could get that out of his Hack & slash system) and he could stay back supporting the party.
Maceswinger- Wielder of the mighty Sword of Vermin slaying
Mice Slain: 9

Even the worst painted Miniature looks better then one with no paint at all

Kill the ticks! All bow before the might of the Crypt Legion.

#22 Tranquil Ape

Tranquil Ape

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

character deaths? bah... I'm in the first part of my first adventure path and I cant stop rolling crits left and right... I'm guessing this is akin to beginners luck? Maybe my dice still have the factory mojo on em...
-------------------------------------
Formerly known as "D"rayla

My CMON gallery

#23 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 8146 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

One of my friends is prone to having his characters die and get apotheosed (turned into a god. It's a useful word, oddly enough). I think his record was three times in one campaign.

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#24 Fascinating-eve

Fascinating-eve

• Bones Supporter
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Unlike you, I have no qualms about killing characters in my home campaign. I don't consider myself to be a "killer DM", or mean or cruel. I choose to run a challenging campaign, and with that challenge comes the risk of character death, and even the possibility of TPK. My players know that I run a hard game, but that I also apply the rules fairly and equally. There are some PCs that die more frequently than others in my game, whether by chance, poor tactics, or a combination of both. It is my goal for the players to have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes (or be doomed to repeat them).

Just out of curiosity, have you ever had to deal with one of your players lashing out from a death? Or even from your tough DM'ing style? How did you handle it (if you did)? I'm newer to the Dm seat and looking for some advice :)

#25 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12319 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

If the death was fair (and even an experienced DM can screw up, I have) then try to stay calm, neutral, and stick to your guns that the death was fairly come by. And that, while unfortunate, is the risk of adventuring.

If the death was not fair, acknowledge this. Because everybody already knows it. Own it, and say you messed up. Offer to redo the encounter (I hate this option) or open yourself to suggestions. Mistakes happen, and I've overjuiced monsters into ridiculousness by misjudging party strength.

But if the death is fair, then dig in and hold fast. Do not let a player bully you about it (and they'll try, believe me they'll try). I'm a pretty easygoing DM, but when I get one of those players (usually a new one auditioning for an extra seat, not one of my regulars) all up in my face throwing a tantrum I don't care if they pull out a gun and start waving it at me - sit down n' shut up, 'cause you ain't getting out of it. Deal with it.

The main thing here is to keep it from going personal. It can be as heated an argument as possible, but keep it all business. Your job is to fairly apply the rules to everybody, and if you go all rock hard zen about it and communicate clearly that you'll stand by your interpretation then it's likely the other players will intervene on your behalf.

But never reward a tantrum. It'll never end after that.