Photo

Making individual minis in an "army" different.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cthulhudarren

cthulhudarren

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 825 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

So say like me you are using minis for gaming. Me -> RPGs. If I have an encounter with 10 skeletons, say I have ten identical minis for skeletons (disregard for a minute that there are more than one sculpt for them), how do you make them all different so you can track them separately?

You could kit-bash, but that's probably the most work.

I'm guessing you would paint some differences, like make each shield a different color?
Or even change the bases for each one to have a single rock or feature of a unique color?

So how would you do this?

#2 Exwilly

Exwilly

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

also you could prolly buy some armor bits and put a helmet hanging off the side of one, different shield solors is a good one, swap weapons out. cut an arm off one or a leg off one (hoppy skeleton) have one attacking with no head. one could be crawling after them. one you could have jump on a pc and be hanging off them( could of jumped on them from the ceiling ie has no legs(dawn of the dead style)). paint one black and he is a ninja skeleton( Boss). the possibilities are endless. look at my ogre in the group wips thread and see how i kit bashed him.
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#3 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15127 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Depends on if the army are regulars or irregulars.
If its a cohesive unit with uniforms basing or numbering the base itself works. In an irregular unit, changes to weapons, shield colors, clothing etc works much easier.
  • klawzie likes this

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#4 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Depends on what kind of army and how much "face" they have. My husband has a set of plastic Bloodbowl orcs, which he said I could paint anyway I wanted if I would just do it please. He has a mild clown phobia, and I have a weird sense of humor, so I named them the Kleveland Klowns, and went with it. I gave all the uniforms a red white & blue theme, but with each position having a different pattern of said colors. Like stripes on the boots of one position, and maybe white pauldrons on another. Then I whited out their faces and gave each a completely different pattern of red "clown" paint. One guy with a bald head has a spiderweb pattern, another with a helm and only the face showing has a big red mouth and exaggerated eyebrows, another polka dots.

So I would think you could come up with some way to match the color scheme, but in a way that each set of detailing is unique. If your going off the example of 10 identical skellies with shields, lets say we're dealing with round shields. I might do the base color the same, with each one having a different color shield boss and rim. Or maybe they're all dressed in rags, so you paint all the rags the same and give them different shields. Another option would be if you're not doing fancy bases is use those to differentiate, either with color, or outright labelling. In the case of Bloodbowl, we actually paint the position name and a number on the base, sorta like their version of a football jersey. Or give each one a unique base if you have the means to do it.
  • Pingo, Exwilly and ced1106 like this

#5 chaosscorpion

chaosscorpion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1270 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

If they are all the same we either place a colored dot of paint on the back of the mini base that the DM can see for tracking, or we have on occasion, placed numbered flags on them. The flag on a small wire placed in a hole in the base.

If there are different figs just general descriptions are used to differentiate, i.e. Skelly with the shield, Skeily with the club, etc, etc, etc.

Life is Chaos... So Enjoy Life

ks_banner_bones_2_core_set.gif

#6 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3004 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I've used a pen to write numbers on the sides if bases (you could use Roman Numerals instead), or just painted the edge of the bases different colours.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#7 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15127 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Print out a bunch of numbered 1" squares on cardstock. Give them cool pics if you want. Place desired mini on top. Paint mini however you want.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#8 Exwilly

Exwilly

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

you could also give each skeleton a name and write it on the bases. like mcjiggle bones, funny bones, no hearted, skinless pete, bone to pick, and chuck. ive a a gelotinous ooze: melt on you not in your mouth(moyniym) just to differentiate 3 ooze attack.
  • ced1106 likes this
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#9 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4373 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Well, with skeletons you can bend them, so I'd pose them different for starters. Bend that arm up, bend this one down, move these forward, etc. You can also get some variation when you position them on bases, facing forward, angled left or right. Another cheap trick is to put something on the bases. With skeletons you can use skulls, gravestones, enemy shields, etc. Or if you're cheap, small rocks, in front, in back, on the left, etc.

There you go, more than 10 variations and you haven't painted anything yet.

After that I would look at doing some weapon swaps with one of the fine weapon packs that Reaper makes.
  • joshuaslater likes this
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#10 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I vote yes for Skinless Pete!

#11 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6584 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

What Inarah typed.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#12 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6791 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Different colored outfits for humanoids, different colored or style weapons for undead, if all else fails numbers on bases or cards underneath.

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

[img src="http://nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveSupporter/last-knight.png" /]

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#13 ixminis

ixminis

Paint-Lackey

• Artists
  • 3893 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Different base accoutrements
Different runes here or there on the figure
Different tints of the base tone (or wash if you wash)
Different logos/runes on shields
Base Numbering/Naming
You name it, something for continuity, something for differentiation.
Different poses and weapons and bits (yes, yes yes)
MichaelG / IXMINIS (I-X-Minis)
Friends don't let friends paint drunk
http://www.tinywars.com

#14 Jen

Jen

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Here's what I did with a bunch of ghosts. Granted, they're different sculpts, so they aren't going to look exactly the same no matter what I did with the painting.

Posted Image

It would have been better if I'd made the bases more consistent, but I wasn't really trying to make them a group, either.
  • Argentee likes this

2014 Stats: 39 painted.

My painting blog: http://minipainterjen.blogspot.com/

#15 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11420 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

What I do with armies is write a number or name on the back of the base.... not that that works with broccoli. So a name on 1" square under the base might be quick and effective.

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users