Photo

What are MSP red shadow, green shadow and violet shadow meant for?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zoroaster100

zoroaster100

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

I noticed the MSP line of Reaper paints has three colors listed together in the online store: Red Shadow, Green Shadow and Violet Shadow. What are these colors meant to be used for?

#2 vutpakdi

vutpakdi

Knight-Errant

• Black Lightning
  • 2697 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

The shadow colors are very good for lining and, alone or in conjunction with a base color, to shading red, green, and violet (among other colors).

Ron
ex Black Lightning, Houston Metro area

#3 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2237 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Violet is also perfect for shading metallics like Gold

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#4 Serenity

Serenity

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

As a historical note, there were once three colors called Red Liner, Green Liner, and Violet Liner. They were not sufficiently popular and were discontinued, and later the replacement triad of Red Shadow, Green Shadow and Violet Shadow came along. The liners used to include six colors in two triads. Now only brown, blue, and grey liners are made.

The shadow colors are not the same consistency as the old liners were (based solely on what I've read), but are like other MS paints in that respect. Liners are thinner than most MSP paints, falling somewhere between ink and regular MSPs.

Serenity
All I want is to have my peace of mind.(Boston)

Time and time again I've thanked them for a peace of mind.(The Outlaws, Green Grass and High Tides)

#5 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2838 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

I've used Red Shadow extensively for just that, red shadows.

I also use it as in the mouths of creatures as well and as a wash over items I intend to be leather. I also glaze tanned flesh with it while working on shadows due to its red tint.

Violet Shadow I've used for a glaze on green orc skin & pallid ghoul flesh...and for purple shadows.

Green Shadow I used last night as green shadow.

When painting shadows etc I tend to thin them down to a wash consistency before applying as an fyi.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users