• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7670 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

Posted Image

Link to the WIP here on the Reaper forums, for the curious. Or you could go to ze blog in my sig, since it's mostly about this mini thus far.
  • buglips*the*goblin, psyberwolfe1, ObsidianCrane and 2 others like this
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#2 Lastman

Lastman

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Great job on the skin. I like the cloth too.

#3 chaosscorpion

chaosscorpion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1289 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

CashWiley you say this is your second paint fig. I say amazing. It's a great paint job. I think the basing looks good too.

Life is Chaos... So Enjoy Life

ks_banner_bones_2_core_set.gif

#4 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7670 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

Second after a 13-year hiatus. I painted for a couple years in the 90s. This is my first painted mini and Tox was probably my best from that period. I learned so much painting this mini.
Project Index
Posted Image

#5 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11546 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the links, cash. I have used a largely untutored wet-blending method my entire career, and look forward to updating it. My original method is a bit too random in outcomes. Straight layering OTOH is annoying and fairly useless for painting moderate amounts of tabeltop... at least, in my opinion! I also find layering unrewarding. My old method produced results quite quickly. What I had previously settled on was wet-blending (early 90's, untutored, read about it in "Planetstorm" from Global Games) followed by layers.

It's interesting looking at the bits of method I came up with independently, most of which I forgot or did not pursue diligently.

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#6 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2352 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'll echo the kudos for the skin and cloth. That orange is awesome.

The rust effects are pretty cool, too.

The tip of the gun looks pretty nice, like it's glowing. I wish there was a touch of OSL on the rusty stock surrounding it, just to drive home the glow effect. Just a touch of highlight in that blue-white shade on the metal edges surrounding the tip would do it.

Really nice job on the overall mini, though. Wish my oranges and reds looked that smooth and vibrant!

Index of my Show-Off minis.

WiP threads:
My Legion of Everblight. Painted: 54 points, 2 Warlocks. Owned: 157 points, 3 Warlocks.

Odd Animals WiP. RP Couatl, DSM Frog Prince, GW/Marauder/Necromunda Milliasaur
Mice & Mystics

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#7 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7670 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'm not a huge fan of spot OSL like that, it can so easily go wrong. I probably should have went for it, since my rust/oil/weather effects went wrong already!

Thanks for all the kind comments, I hope this is the start of something really good. Minis have always held a special place in my life, even though I was never brave enough to paint them. Having some success with learning about painting is really exciting for me. I do want to write up a more extensive post-mortem about some of the techniques I learned or worked on at some point.

This is an entry into an informal contest over at Studio McVey. They have such amazing painters over there, I expect the mighty XUR to take it again.
Project Index
Posted Image

#8 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7670 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

I just posted a quick post-mortem on the WIP thread linked in the original post.

For fellow newbs, I encourage you to go read it so you can get a feel for just how much I learned and advanced on this one mini. It's still kind of shocking for me to see the results. You can do it! Just be brave and don't be afraid to make mistakes, it's how you learn!

Posting pics and WIPs and seeking advice from more advanced painters is important. If you don't understand something they say, ask for clarification - the mini community is really, really awesome. Take more pics than you need to post, and study them. Make notes about things to go back and fix or what you like or don't like about the mini...then figure out how to fix it!

Most importantly, soak up all the amazing materials available today. It's really mind-blowing how much instructional and example material is out there compared to almost nothing when I was a kid in the late 70s. Watch, read, learn, ask questions. A year of doing that between my last mini and this one made a huge impact on the results, and I'm just barely grasping most of the techniques and theories.
  • Last Knight and klyons99 like this
Project Index
Posted Image

#9 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7670 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

This mini just won 1st place in the informal "Getting Started" contest I painted it for at the Studio McVey forum!
  • smokingwreckage, Last Knight and klyons99 like this
Project Index
Posted Image

#10 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6805 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

'gratz! I'd say you deserved it, you did a helluva job. ::D:
  • CashWiley likes this

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

[img src="http://nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveSupporter/last-knight.png" /]

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#11 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5995 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

Wasn't following the WIP but as other have said this is great and that skin is really well done with some very nice subtle blending. You should be very proud of what you achieved.

Hehe, don't feel bad to loosing to XUR I don't think it's possible for people to actually beat that man as I, and many way more talented then me, have lost many of times to him and he's deserved every win. But he's ex-Rackham sculptor and painter so that already places him in a top tier in this hobby.
  • CashWiley and Last Knight like this

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#12 chaosscorpion

chaosscorpion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1289 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Well done cashwiley. I went and voted for you. It was a hard call between you and the guy in camo with the goggles.

Life is Chaos... So Enjoy Life

ks_banner_bones_2_core_set.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Firebrand Drone, Studio McVey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users