Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maglok

My reaper zombies

16 posts in this topic

So first time poster here! I am a miniature fan and I play warhammer and a lot of pathfinder. My collection is thus devided between the two. I am active on the wargamer forums, but those do not understand rpg mini painting! So when the Reaper kickstarter rolled around I was in rather quickly. I never really order directly from Reaper due to high costs for shipping to europe (dutchy here), but with a set 25$, I was so in.

That also led me to finally register here. :)

It also led me to start painting up all the 'left over' rpg mini's I have laying around. It took a bit of courage, but I figured I'd show some of my work on these classic reaper zombies. I had them laying around for over a year now and since they tend to get used during the Pathfinder, I figured why the hell not. I used sort of a speedpaint technique on them.

7996857063_05632c240a.jpg

I decided to try to emulate swamp bases with these zombies, using sand to up the base height a bit and then create small, very small, 'lakes' of water effects with green wash.

Hope ya like it.

6 people like this

Welcome! I love what you've created, but those zombies have some nice, clean teeth.

A Kindred Spirit: I've had a pack of those Mostly Dead Folk hanging around for quite awhile also waiting patiently...more or less...for some attention. Your SPLENDIDLY painted & based pieces has given me some ideas & a healthy jolt of motivation. Thanks for the post/push & VERY WELL DONE!

That's a top-notch tabletop job. I'd be really happy to see you post details of your speedpaint technique, if you have the time!

those zombies look fantastic! hopefully I can do that well on mine.

That's a top-notch tabletop job. I'd be really happy to see you post details of your speedpaint technique, if you have the time!

agreed! your dungeon looks modular too. what are you using?

Thanks! :) I am only a small noobie around most of ya'all.

Welcome! I love what you've created, but those zombies have some nice, clean teeth.

You have an excellent point. Some of them are a bit more bloodied though. I guess some of them have yet to munch a pc or two and the blood on them is mainly theirs.

It's really nothing special. Basically I 'limit' myself to:

1. Basecoat (in this case white)
  2. Do all areas with a base color (rotting flesh, a color for the hair, clothes and boots, red for eyes and white for the 'teeth')
  3. Apply copious amounts of wash.
  4. Pick out all the previously applied base colors with a much lighter highlight. I find a very light highlight translates into very 'readable' minis on the gaming table.

As for the base it is a simple 25mm round base to which I applied my mixture of sand/gravel with woodglue. I then wait for it to dry and apply another thin layer of woodglue so it is stuck on there. In this case I left bits for the water. Then a smattering of colors and a highlight or two later it will accept some water effects. In this case I applied it with a uhhm, toothpick I think the word is, and added some green wash. Then another 'layer' over that to add some depth, no wash that time.

After that all I just threw 'blood' around. A dark and a light one, watered down a lot. That took all but 5 minutes for all 9.

Overall turn around time is quite fast for my doing. I am a notoriously slow painter you see.

those zombies look fantastic! hopefully I can do that well on mine.

agreed! your dungeon looks modular too. what are you using?

Hirst arts :) Though I am not quite happy with that set, it has served me well when DMing. With the risk of going off-topic just slightly, here's how it looks when I fill up the table:

6709602531_a5d5474baa.jpg

Or I use it to 'emulate' a cavern tileset, which I do not have anywhere near finished yet.

6938700724_9939b34560.jpg

6 people like this

Welcome!

Awesome painting, they look fantastic! The bases came out great too, yikes I would not want to get caught in a swamp chock full of zombies... A friend of mine had a similar group (though skeletons) and he had one base that just had a skellie from the torso up on it coming out of the ground, might be a fun variation if more zombies join the horde. Great terrain too, thanks for posting!

That's a nice looking unit. The bases really tie it together.

Satisfyingly gruesome! I like the swamp bases; there is something viscerally frightening about half rotted corpses rising out of a bog to pull you down in a fetid embrace.

Dig the Hirst dungeon. We use our Hirst stuff for mostly display shelving; the modular dungeon concept always looks cool, but ends up being too much hassle for us as DMs.

Your Zeds look great; I like that they have variation even between the duplicate sculpts. Nicely done.

Dig the Hirst dungeon. We use our Hirst stuff for mostly display shelving; the modular dungeon concept always looks cool, but ends up being too much hassle for us as DMs.

I've had a similar experience if using the Hirst dungeons built as instructed with the tall walls; they look great for dioramas, but storage and line-of-sight issues for players (plus difficulty in placing miniatures in "action poses" that extend beyond their bases) make them impractical. However, I've found that if I make "floor-tile-only" pieces, or make them with VERY short wall sections (one block high) and have any taller features (doorways, statues, shrines, etc.) as separate, removable pieces, I can get around those problems and still have some nice-looking scenery that adds more of a sense of "3D" than I could hope for with printed map tiles.

Nice job, and the bases are definitely a win. I like the swamp grasses. To me that's what sets it off as swampy, even a little moreso than the puddles.

Lovely (?) zombies. Actually gave me some motivation for painting some of my old ones.