• This topic is locked This topic is locked
130 replies to this topic

#1 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5568 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hey all, just saw this and thought people may enjoy this KS as it's a bit different then some that have been posted here before. Basically it's some modular laser cut buildings that are prepainted and look pretty good.

What I like the best though are the carts and other scenery items are they're crazy affordable and just what I've been looking for.

http://www.kickstart...for-28mm-gamers
  • Steve Baker likes this

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#2 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2991 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

That's cool.
I had to put it on the watch list as funds are too uncertain at the moment, but that Small Village pledge is mighty tempting even with mystery postage.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#3 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2288 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Excellent find! When I get home from my night shift tomorrow I'll watch the video and I think I might have to jump in on that one.

#4 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5568 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

I ended up getting the $100 village set as I like the blacksmith and watermill and once I add in all the accessories I wanted it was the same cost but I'd also get two other buildings.

@monkeysloth

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#5 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2288 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

It looks like the inn and the tavern are different buildings unless you go for the $400 option. I'd like them both so I can integrate them into one colossal inn/tavern. A lot of fun intrigue could be run in a setting like that, with those buildings.
  • Steve Baker likes this

#6 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5568 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

There's a giant inn and tavern building for $200.

@monkeysloth

#7 evhorne969

evhorne969

Sculptor

• Artists
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

I'm in if she puts out a guillotine! :zombie:

• Steve Baker likes this

#8 Steve Baker

Steve Baker

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

That's cool.
I had to put it on the watch list as funds are too uncertain at the moment, but that Small Village pledge is mighty tempting even with mystery postage.

The postage is free in mainstream US. If you need overseas shipping, we need to know where you'd like us to ship it to. International postage is a mess - different prices in different countries, some are charged by weight and others by size. Our products are not like teeny-tiny figurines and lightweight rule books and such - ours are *much* larger and heavier...big chunks of wood! So for us, shipping is a huge percentage of the cost - and we have to be super-careful not to underestimate it. For small items like figurines, you can use USPS's fixed-price international rates - but for larger items, those are ridiculously over-priced compared to getting your item weighed and measured. Bottom line is that we can't offer a $100 item with fixed-cost overseas shipping.

So shoot us an email to mail@renaissanceminiatures.com telling us what you're planning to buy and where you'll want it shipped to - and we can figure it out.
  • Steve Baker likes this

#9 Steve Baker

Steve Baker

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hmmm - I'm Renee's chief designer...(OK, her only designer)...I'd love to design a guillotine...I'll see if we can work it into a "stretch goal" kind of a thing later in the Kickstart. Things are going to be awfully hectic this week - but generally Kickstarters calm down into the second and third weeks - so maybe I'll have time to prototype something.
  • evhorne969, Zelkon and Steve Baker like this

#10 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5568 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'd get one if it existed.

And if we can offer ideas I'd love round tables and your standard wooden chairs too. Then of course there are beds and bookcases and stuff like that.

@monkeysloth

#11 evhorne969

evhorne969

Sculptor

• Artists
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

That would be AWESOME!! Thanks :-D

Gene

#12 Steve Baker

Steve Baker

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

There's a giant inn and tavern building for $200.

Yeah - it's a huge building.

The Tavern is about 16" long by 16" deep - two storeys high plus roof. I designed it to have a roughly 12"x12" main bar room with a 4"x12" room off to the side (what in England would be called "the snug"). There are a couple of store-rooms out-back. Upstairs there are three small bedrooms and another long room which I think of as either a luxury suite or a large dining room...then there are balconies looking down into the main bar area with a couple of stairways leading down. Of course that's only how I assemble it...but it's a good layout for gaming.

Keeping in mind that 1" is nominally 5 feet in game-scale, that's an 80 foot by 80 foot building. The tavern we based it on (rather loosely in the end) is an actual Medieval tavern (it's still serving beer!) in the UK that's really only 50'x50'...and most of that seems to be a set of relatively modern (like only 300 years old!) extensions - the original building was more like 25' x 30'. So we've added considerable extra space inside.

When you think that a typical table is less than 5' long (the ones we make are 1" long in gamer scale), you can comfortably fit 150 tables inside on the ground floor alone! Why would a landlord want such a huge bar? If four revellers share a table, he's got space for something like 600 people! Just how big will your brawl be?!?

Yeah, I know, I get it...when we play, we don't pay close attention to scale.

That true 1"=5' scale simply isn't practical in small, close-in encounters - and that's why our Tavern is so big. In fact our ceilings have to be too high also (they are roughly 10 feet)...people who are only 6' tall bang their heads on the rafters in quite a few good olde English pubs.

We have to do that in order to accomodate figurine manufacturers who make dwarves who are 28mm high and humans who are rarely less than 32mm...and often waving 15 more millimeters of sword over their heads!

But anyway - of we make the kickstarter, then once we're done with fulfilling pledges, we'll be coming out with a comprehensive range of expansion packs that'll be fairly cheap - so you'll be able to buy a bunch more walls and floors and grow your buildings to the size needed for the main Valhalla drinking hall!
  • The Inner Geek likes this

#13 Darsc Zacal

Darsc Zacal

PAX Prime Veteran

• 5417 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

I find these buildings really interesting, I like a lot of the ideas and they look good in the photos, but its the kind of thing I'd really like to see in person before buying...

I dunno. I'll be keeping an eye on the kickstarter and this thread for awhile before deciding one way or the other.
"Yeah, we have magic and elves and crazy wizardocracies, but gender equality, *that's* a fantasy."
- Pingo's alter ego.

"I had to drown my dolly in the bathtub to try and still the voice of the mirror mommy telling me to do bad things. And then an octopus stole my clothes!"
Buglips' Gnome.

#14 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5568 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

I can understand that. Steve might be able to answer some of your concerns via a video if there are aspects you'd like to see up close.

I for one would be curious to see how durable this stuff is. Like can that bridge survive having a bunch of Warjack walk over it? How sturdy are the table and benches? Will the fence brake easily? That kind of stuff.

@monkeysloth

#15 Darsc Zacal

Darsc Zacal

PAX Prime Veteran

• 5417 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

I don't know that I really have a lot of questions. Although I would like some close up photos of the buildings features. ie doors, window frames, brickwork, roof tiles, as well as of the interior flooring.

I think a large part of it is a matter of personal taste. The project creators are quite proud of the realism of the buildings and I do agree the buildings look the part. However I don't play historical games and wish that they'd look a little more fantastical.

I don't mean adding skulls and skulls and yet more skulls or anything really over the top, just little touches here and there. An example would be my favourite makers of buildings: Tabletop world. I realize that exact look can't be duplicated with laser cutters, but I'd think something could be done to give the buildings a nudge in that direction.

Price and playability are also big considerations, and here I think the buildings in this kickstarter have the edge. While I love the Tabletop World stuff, I own very little of it.

Yep. I'm going to have to sit and think about this one.
"Yeah, we have magic and elves and crazy wizardocracies, but gender equality, *that's* a fantasy."
- Pingo's alter ego.

"I had to drown my dolly in the bathtub to try and still the voice of the mirror mommy telling me to do bad things. And then an octopus stole my clothes!"
Buglips' Gnome.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Buildings, Scenery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users