buglips*the*goblin

Takhisamat! (or: Buglips butchers a Limited Edition)

424 posts in this topic

And the 40 is the 40th formula, before they had what they were looking for. ::):

I'll still swear by my little blue and yellow can for drilling sockets for pinning multi part figs.

Jumping in a little late on this, but WD-40 is a textbook CLP - cleaner, lubricant, protection. It's not unknown for lazy people to use a spray of WD-40 on their handguns to clean them, and the gun functions fine (remove ammo before spraying, though.) :-)

Well, there is an alternative to pinning if I have to - but it's a high risk operation and I'm not to sure I want to gamble my Takky that way.

But she is white metal - and she can be soldered into those huge feet pits. Done very carefully this can work, but it's very risky!

For pinning, if you need strength, use music wire (not guitar strings). You can find it at most hobby stores. Be careful what tool you use to cut it, though, as it will notch most diagonal cutters. Plus it tends to depart the vicinity of the cutter at high speed when the cut is complete, so watch out for that, too. (And wear safety glasses.)

I swear by my guitar string for pinning my normal, human-sized minis. It's rarely for strength, but just for a better grip. Still, always intereseted in new things. As a non-musician, what's the difference between guitar string (entirely one piece of wire, not the twisted stuff at higher guages, I think the guitar shop guy who sells it to me said it was an E string?) and music wire?

And yes, I have dug small fragments of the guitar string out of my palm because of the cut-velocity. Yeesh.

Well, there is an alternative to pinning if I have to - but it's a high risk operation and I'm not to sure I want to gamble my Takky that way.

But she is white metal - and she can be soldered into those huge feet pits. Done very carefully this can work, but it's very risky!

Yipes! That sounds like a terrifying proposition.

I was thinking of the wire-wrapped strings. It might well be the case that the simple wire strings are the same material as the "music wire" that is sold in hobby stores. That said, you can get a variety of gauges of music wire, so there might be a bit more flexibility there if they are the same.

For cutting the wire, I would recommend keeping a bit of cork handy. Stick the loose end of the wire into the cork, hold the long part in your hand and make the cut. It should keep the cut piece from flying anywhere and be much safer.

ah, ok. Yes, the first time I went into the guitar shop (only a few blocks from my house, unlike the two-bus-trips-away hobby shop) and showed the guy my pod of drillbits, he thought I was nuts. Then we talked about wire strings for an hour. Having checked the packaging, I use E-18 string, but I had a number of options to choose from. This stuff is still pretty flexy, so it won't hold a lot of weight, but it's stiff enough to hold a 28mm arm in place, and thin enough to drill into an old Ral Partha/Dennis Mize maiden's ankle without turning it into a cankle.

First I have never used any lubricant on my Dremel Drill bits because I switched to high speed drill bits. Second if you're having heat issues with your Dremel bits then the speed is dialed up too high or you're not using high speed bits. Third music wire is overkill. 1/16" Brass rod (or steel paper clips) is perfect for this job and most two part epoxies are rated in 10K plus for shear force. Short of reaching terminal velocity there is no reason for piano wire. The stuff is just too dangerous. Finally a sharp new drill bit in a hand held pin vise will chew through most white metal in a minute flat.

Buglips love the WIP. Keep up the good work.

E-18, that would even give SRV trouble! I use an 18 as my G; 11 or 12 as E, 12 can make bends pretty rough and snap a lot.

Anyway, I use paper clips and also recommend changing bits often. I need to label my bits because I always forget which one fits my paper clips.

I usually drill the pinhole oversize. There'll be enough gel superglue crammed in around the pin to stick a blue whale to a battleship. It won't be going anywhere.

Buglips she is looking good so far. I will be watching this with interest as I am hoping that I may someday be brave enough to tackle mine. Keep up the posts and good work.

So now that I've finished the Ogre and taken a few days to re-organize, it's time to stop avoiding Takhisis and pretending like I'm not home. She knows better. She can see the light from the kitchen.

Anyway, as mentioned I'll be tackling Takky in subassemblies. So that means the first job I have is to finish this:

post-3313-0-15532000-1350441585_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it won't take extremely long.

I'll plant corn.

:devil:

I expect she'll be a long way to getting done, yeah. I've sworn not to send her to the Shelf of Shame, she'll always be nearby ready for work, but she's a side project and the only timeframe I'm willing to commit to is a sincere effort to have the final update in this thread come before 2014.

If everything goes well, I think I can have her shelf-ready in six months.

2 people like this