Tranquil Ape

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

a broken Katana...

So I bought and painted this up during the week

http://www.reapermin...detail/IG_785_1

and used it today during a pathfinder game, just as we were wrapping up getting ready to go, the katana snapped off just at the hilt. Gluing it alone seems like it may leave me forever worrying about that join... the blade is too small to pin so what I ended up doing was wrapping a little green stuff around the join and sculpting it as if the hilt was a lil thicker...

Just wondering what others would have done in a similar situation... just in case...
-------------------------------------
Formerly known as "D"rayla

My CMON gallery

#2 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2275 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

I would have done the green stuff as well.

#3 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5553 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

I have a really, really, really tiny pin that I can use to fix these but you have to really baby it as the bit is thin as well and breaks about half the time I use one--so it's not really all that better.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#4 Mistwalker

Mistwalker

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

One way that I have used to fix things like this is to remove the hand at the wrist and glue on a new one, with weapon in hand.

I have taken longer swords and trimmed them down (bastard or two handed swords work well if they are held in one hand - gives you the right sized hilt). Once you have trimmed the weapon, drill the hand and wrist and then pinned it into place.

#5 Bruunwald

Bruunwald

Godlike

• Members
  • 1461 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

You'd be surprised what I can get a pin into, but yes, greenstuff is a good way to go in that case.

I might have drilled down into the hilt/hand, and used the blase as its own pin, by just inserting it a bit further.
  • Tranquil Ape likes this
CreepyTown Miniatures is now on Facebook!
www.creepytownminis.com

#6 Tranquil Ape

Tranquil Ape

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

You'd be surprised what I can get a pin into, but yes, greenstuff is a good way to go in that case.

I might have drilled down into the hilt/hand, and used the blase as its own pin, by just inserting it a bit further.

This was my second choice and I opted against it because i had a quick vision of the mini's hand just crumbling from the inside out as the the bit sank down into it...lol
-------------------------------------
Formerly known as "D"rayla

My CMON gallery

#7 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 10865 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

Greenstuff a great idea. Stealing.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users