#1 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 7896 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

Here are MIT's safety procedures for dealing with epoxies:

http://www.psfc.mit.edu/esh/epoxy.html

Note that epoxy is a skin irritant, especially the hardener part.

I'm curious to hear how people deal with this. Does anybody sculpt with protective gloves on?

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#2 Caffiene

Caffiene

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

I wouldnt worry too much. While it can be an irritant, keep in mind that Green Stuff (or at least the Kneadatite brand version) as far as I can tell is a solid-formulation polyamide epoxy: solid and polyamide both being mentioned in the "hazard assessment" discussion section as the lowest risk categories.

If you are worried or have a history of sensitivity or asthma problems, then Id wear some cheap latex gloves and work in a ventilated area. And a dust mask is never a bad idea when sanding anything. But at the amounts dealt with working with minis, and the relative risk of green stuff compared to other epoxies, youre very unlikely to run into real problems, IMO. Unless you try to eat it... ...

Keep in mind that those instructions are made to cover all the way to the other end of the spectrum dealing with large quantities of liquid amine epoxies with chemical fillers.

#3 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

Sculptor of Stories

• Bones Supporter
  • 5082 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

No gloves, unless I am doing something where fingerprints would be an issue (only needed this once so far). I've never had a problem with skin irritation from the GS.
Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com

#4 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2372 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

I don't have any sensitivities, asthma, or other such health concerns but I also don't handle green stuff every day. I work with it maybe once or twice per week. I use vaseline when I work with it, which helps keep it from adhering to my skin.
  • Dadcubed likes this

#5 Exwilly

Exwilly

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

ive not had an issue yet. and have been using greenstuff for a good 10+ years.
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#6 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11222 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Nope. I use the tacky automotive stuff and it sticks to gloves.

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#7 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6511 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

The one I will wear gloves with is Milliput as that is a bit more than a skin irritant although the gloves come off after I have mixed it and made the main applications. I primarily use Milliput for terrain though.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#8 ub3r_n3rd

ub3r_n3rd

Master of the Threadjack

• Members
  • 14134 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

The one I will wear gloves with is Milliput as that is a bit more than a skin irritant although the gloves come off after I have mixed it and made the main applications. I primarily use Milliput for terrain though.

I know this is a bit off topic and so I apologize, but I'm new to the whole painting and basing scene and recently purchased Milliput. Is Milliput pretty much the same stuff as the Green Stuff in terms of what you can do with it? Or should I purchase the Green Stuff to add small modifications to my minis?

You're always out of context! 

Minis finished: 44 and only hundreds 20 more to go!

2014 Tally: 21

Current WIP: The Queen's Hand - Evil PC Group

Most recent show-off: Evil Tiefling Summoner

Founding member of Cash's Crew™ and Kuro's Kindred

Proud member of Pixel's Posse and Corporea's Corps

#9 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Green stuff is more elastic and adhesive than Milliput, so it's better for detail work - You can push it around on the miniature more - And for the application of very small amounts or thin layers.

Milliput is more 'clay-like' in texture, not as adhesive, and sets completely rigid (unlike GS) It's also considerably stronger once set, so it's better for bulk work, regular/hard-edged/mechanical forms, and anything you plan to carve to shape at a later date. One final thing about Milliput is that while it's insoluble once cured, it's water-miscible when soft, and as well as using water to snooth it you can make it into a 'slip' to run into gaps and the like.

Hope some of this helps.
  • ub3r_n3rd likes this
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

#10 ub3r_n3rd

ub3r_n3rd

Master of the Threadjack

• Members
  • 14134 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the answers Panzer. I'll have to buy some GS now!

You're always out of context! 

Minis finished: 44 and only hundreds 20 more to go!

2014 Tally: 21

Current WIP: The Queen's Hand - Evil PC Group

Most recent show-off: Evil Tiefling Summoner

Founding member of Cash's Crew™ and Kuro's Kindred

Proud member of Pixel's Posse and Corporea's Corps

#11 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

I don't wear gloves with green stuff, though I probably should start. I've got sensitive skin, and after working with green stuff my thumbs and forefingers are tender for the rest of the day. Not painful, just tender as if I abraded them. I'll definitely have to wear gloves if I start working with milliput.

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#12 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

That sort of reaction is worrying. I know some people seem more sensitive to the volatiles you get from curing epoxies than usual, so yes, gloves seem like a good idea.

It's ironic really; I've never had any problems with modelling putties - While fluorecent tubes put out enough UV to make my eczma flare up if I spend too long under them.
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

#13 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 7896 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

I use nitrile gloves from the pharmacy (latex allergy, ugh). They're bright purple, and when I bring them to workshops the kids love them.

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#14 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

I use nitrile gloves from the pharmacy (latex allergy, ugh). They're bright purple, and when I bring them to workshops the kids love them.

how do you knead the putty green without it sticking to the gloves? I'm worried that petroleum jelly would get kneaded in with the putty if I coated the fingers of my gloves with it...

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#15 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6511 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

water on your fingertips, just a bit
  • psyberwolfe1 likes this
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: health, safety, green stuff, epoxy, dermatitis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users