TaleSpinner

The Great Community Ogre Adventure (Official Show Off Thread)

His lowliness was busy sucking the jam from between his toes as it had aged to a perfect stank in his stanky shoes, so he asked me to set up the show-off thread. Post your finished Ogre pictures when you have them.

If you are reading this and have no idea what I am talking about, go here.

Andy

I guess I'll start this thang off.

post-8231-0-09461800-1349754820_thumb.jpg

post-8231-0-11017000-1349754749_thumb.jpg

post-8231-0-92543100-1349754827_thumb.jpg

post-8231-0-46699900-1349754805_thumb.jpg

Tree stump is sculpted from air-dry modeling clay, along with the little owl on top. He is mad because he despises the undead. They are icky, and scare the mice.

The fence was busted by that huge boulder which was tossed by the risen ogre during his energetic emergence from the ground.

The tombstone was a carved piece of sculpy, painted and etched with the RIP lettering with an engraving pen.

And there we go! Ton of fun, thank you Buglips for holding this delightful event :bday:

• Like 6

And my Ogre is done, actually my second Ogre is done..

post-7660-0-24779200-1350649965_thumb.jpg

I like this picture because it shows a couple of things; taking the time to paint carefully using a range of techniques makes a big difference in the final look of the model. It also shows that a speed paint with only a modicum of effort will look great on the gaming table anyway. The truth is few people would notice the difference unless they also paint or see the two models together (and even then some may not notice).

Here is the rest of the careful paint job.

post-7660-0-00643100-1350649941_thumb.jpg

post-7660-0-47416400-1350649948_thumb.jpg

post-7660-0-87212700-1350649953_thumb.jpg

post-7660-0-75992100-1350649958_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

ObsidianCrane you're not giving yourself enough credit. The differences between the two show a clear deviation in terms of quality, technique and overall effort..additionally, the 'more careful' version really showcases your ability! You should be very proud.

Oh I know the difference and with my practiced eye have no trouble telling them apart :)

But I also know from years at the game table most players barely see past the fact the mini has paint on it, unless they are interested in minis or art in general.

I decided to declare my Ogre done, rather than keep playing with the details. I'm pretty happy with him, and I think it's time to move on to another project. Here's a few pictures of the end product:

55Final.jpg

60SideDry.jpg

I had fun working in parallel with you guys in a group WIP. It also helped to motivate me to push ahead when I might otherwise have claimed to be too busy to get in a little painting time here or there. I look forward to seeing more Ogres as people finish up their versions.

• Like 9

Awright, mini #3 officially off the bench!

Ogre_Chieftain.JPG

I was hoping to hit something way closer to my initial concept and then I remembered I don't have the skills to pull off most of that stuff :)

He was supposed to be sunburned, that was my initial concept. An old retired warleader who spent most of his time in tents and caves and rarely ventured into the sun anymore, called back in for a last ditch campaign against invading human hordes (I'm reading Dust of Dreams).

I went for a tribal brand on the shoulder, and cuirboilli armor bits. His eyes are supposed to have severe cataracts, the skirt is supposed to be tanned human hide. I went with a copper bracelet and bronze studs/banding figuring ogres didn't work iron or have much in the way of precious metal - the leader only had two gold rings and of course an old GW-style gem. The club I tried to go for a mossy northern forest oak trunk, with greys and greens.

And lest I forget - a Lou Albano-style purple band in the beard.

• Like 4

Fantastic stuff klarg1.

Wiley I think you pulled off the different skins very well. Your painting is much further along than you think! (Your skin is still better than mine :p)

Right, wanted him done and out the way. I'm pleased enough with the result but If I'd spent more time with him I would have brought the skin tone down a little to make him paler and done something with that shoulder pad. I had wanted to freehand an image of a blue gem onto that money pouch to make it look like he'd stolen it from a young elf boy dressed in green with an annoying fairy, but I don't think it would have really come across well due to the heavy folds.

NocCOg001.jpg

NocCOg002.jpg

• Like 3