• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6432 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

A friend posted a random pic he saw in a gallery of photos from Euromilitaire. It appears to be 28mm scale and based for tabletop use. Ye gods, prepared to be humbled.

Posted Image
  • ub3r_n3rd likes this

#2 Nocturne

Nocturne

King of the North

• Members
  • 2780 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

I'm going to convince myself that it's just a well applied decal so that I can sleep at night and not bin all my paints and brushes.... yep definately a decal.... definately :down:

@nocturnerose

Currently procrastinating

#3 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1972 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

wow.
First response: I will never paint again. All hope is lost.
Second response: hmmn... if I practice long enough...
Third response: this is proof there are machines among us! I knew it!
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#4 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 1793 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

is it wrong that I'm almost more impressed by the near-perfect spiral stripe on the lance than by the tapestry?

this whole thing is pretty wow. But straight lines wrapped around a taper--that's super tough!

Index of my Show-Off minis.

Current workbench: Wyrmgear (boss monster for Eberron; WiP here). 35 pts of Legion of Everblight (19/35 complete). RP Draconians Box Set.

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#5 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

My first thought was "holy somethingican'tsayonafamilyboard." My second thought was thanks for letting ALL of us share in your humility. Yikes. Humbled is the polite word for what I feel ::o:

#6 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3689 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

I roll to disbelieve.
  • Lastman, buglips*the*goblin, Sanael and 1 other like this
Happiness is just a word to me
And it might have meant a thing or two
If I'd known the difference
Emptiness, a lonely parody
And my life, another smokin' gun
A sign of my indifference...

-Seatbelts, "Gotta Knock A Little Harder"

I pretty much agree with everything that Last Knight said.

#7 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5826 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

Without anything to scale it against its hard to tell if that's actually a 28mm miniature or not. Its certainly possible, I have seen Jeremie do work that intricate on the back of a Eldar Harlequin cloak. 28mm would be a pretty unusual scale for something coming out of Euromilitaire though, the usual scale for those shows is 54mm and larger. Regardless of what scale it is the freehand is truly awe inspiring. However, the horse looks a bit like an after thought.
  • captenglish likes this
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#8 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 9680 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

So far out of my league that I'm not discouraged at all.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

#9 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3235 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

What nobody seems to realize is Tzeench collected the painter's soul shortly after he finished this and posted pictures... :devil:
  • Last Knight likes this
Active Events: Lysette | Dragons 2013 | Bad Boys | TMBG 2014 | WX14 | RC Songs |
Click this link to my gallery! I need the hits! ::P: | 2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 23

#10 Sarah Devier

Sarah Devier

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

How many hours did that take... Just wow.

#11 Atramagus

Atramagus

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Miniatures are certainly fun to paint... but there is no way I'd want to spend the amount of time required to paint something to that level.

I would like to keep my friends C.c

#12 Doug Sundseth

Doug Sundseth

Godlike

• Members
  • 3017 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

is it wrong that I'm almost more impressed by the near-perfect spiral stripe on the lance than by the tapestry?

this whole thing is pretty wow. But straight lines wrapped around a taper--that's super tough!

I have a technique that has worked well for me when painting 15mm Swiss pikemen and knights. Let me know if you need details.

#13 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3689 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

I have a technique that has worked well for me when painting 15mm Swiss pikemen and knights. Let me know if you need details.

WE ALWAYS NEED DETAILS.

*cough* If you'd be so kind...
  • Girot likes this
Happiness is just a word to me
And it might have meant a thing or two
If I'd known the difference
Emptiness, a lonely parody
And my life, another smokin' gun
A sign of my indifference...

-Seatbelts, "Gotta Knock A Little Harder"

I pretty much agree with everything that Last Knight said.

#14 Doug Sundseth

Doug Sundseth

Godlike

• Members
  • 3017 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Sure:

1. Paint the entire spear/lance in the darker shadow color of the two colors you will be using.

2. Wait until the paint is thoroughly dry.

3. Cut a narrow strip of cellophane tape the width you intend for the stripe. (Scotch tape works well for me.)

4. Wrap the tape in a spiral around the shaft, leaving a gap equal to the stripe width. (You can arrange for unequal width stripes now if you want.

5. Paint over the lance and tape with the second shadow color.

6. Remove the tape as soon as the paint is dry to the touch.

7. Touch up the places where paint bled under the tape.

8. Paint the mid-tone and highlight for both colors, leaving a narrow border of the shadow colors.

(Sorry; I don't have any pictures here at work.)
  • CashWiley likes this

#15 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Without anything to scale it against its hard to tell if that's actually a 28mm miniature or not. Its certainly possible, I have seen Jeremie do work that intricate on the back of a Eldar Harlequin cloak. 28mm would be a pretty unusual scale for something coming out of Euromilitaire though, the usual scale for those shows is 54mm and larger. Regardless of what scale it is the freehand is truly awe inspiring. However, the horse looks a bit like an after thought.

Agreed. Plus this is done in the style of the St Petersburg Collection, which is a group of artist in Russia (obivously) and while beautiful the technique is suspect. Oh and if I am correct, these are 54mm or larger. That said, the work that comes out of Europe in both the historical and sci fi/fantasy communities is nothing short of amazing.

They [machines] cannot commune with God. Official Fieldarchy fanboy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users