• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1138 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Anyone have a source for 28 mm scale shellfish, starfish, or such? I'm working on a tidal pool base and terrified I'll have to sculpt itty bitty sea urchins myself.

yes, I'm crazy.

yes, I know I haven't finished my 2nd mini yet.

This is for mini number... 6 or 9 depending on how RL goes.

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#2 Atramagus

Atramagus

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

You, ma'am, are a masochist.

Nothing wrong with that, you're in good company.

I'm just saying...

^_^;;

#3 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1970 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

there was an article on the resin pour for the pirate king/queen which described using superglue to do corals, which is not quite the same thing, but may be helpful.
http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/49
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#4 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1138 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

You, ma'am, are a masochist.

Nothing wrong with that, you're in good company.

I'm just saying...

^_^;;

Have you been talking to my husband? You have, haven't you. He swore he destroyed those negatives...

No, seriously, compared to trying to learn to make glass flowers inside glass beads, this is a pleasure. I've yet to set my hair on fire working with minis!

there was an article on the resin pour for the pirate king/queen which described using superglue to do corals, which is not quite the same thing, but may be helpful.
http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/49

Thanks! I'll give those a try after I finish building my pool.

How to articles are ALWAYS appreciated. I thought I'd ask about buying bits first, because, you know, shipping times.
  • Gryfter_92 likes this

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

#5 Goblyn

Goblyn

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

nevermind

#6 recruittons

recruittons

Arch Magi of Figmentia Exchangus

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

Family board and all, but those pink jellyfish on the right look... unsavory...
Posted Image

#7 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Reaper makes two familiar packs with sea creatures.

They [machines] cannot commune with God. Official Fieldarchy fanboy!

#8 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1138 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Reaper makes two familiar packs with sea creatures.

I'm actually worried the familiars might be too big, otherwise I'd consider the stingray or the crab. When I get home I'll post a picture of what I'm trying to do.

#9 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5880 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Actually, what you want from some of those are the bases, rather than the models themselves. Check out the areas underneath the Hatchfish and Angler from FP7. Snip the fish off, do a tiny bit of modelling to cover up the surgery, and paint away.

~v
  • Pingo likes this

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

#10 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 4513 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Actually, what you want from some of those are the bases, rather than the models themselves. Check out the areas underneath the Hatchfish and Angler from FP7. Snip the fish off, do a tiny bit of modelling to cover up the surgery, and paint away.

~v

Very clever!

This person sells silicone molds to make tiny seashells:
http://www.etsy.com/...in-clay-fondant

Here's another one, with starfish included:
http://www.etsy.com/...shell clay mold

They're still kind of big, though.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Any sufficiently advanced technology you don't understand is indistinguishable from magic you don't understand."
-- Richard Garfinkle

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#11 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1138 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Ok... here's what I'm working on.

Nymph.jpg

She's the Nymph from LTPK 4. And, alas, I can't just leave well enough alone.

I put her on a round 30 mm base that I cut out at the slot. Whenever I have a spare bit of green stuff I add a stone around the base. The bottom is cut from a blister pack.

Unfortunately, this means it is very, very shallow. I am starting to think I will have to tear the bottom off and build the piece up more, or start from scratch to fit anything in there at all. I'm probably going to have to try and paint sand texture instead of using actual sand otherwise. It's that shallow.

That's why I'm looking for flat things like starfish or a shell. Maybe a itty bitty sea urchin.

#12 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3992 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

I got your back. What a fun project. We can PM the details.

Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com 

#13 DSModels

DSModels

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Have you tried to use a sculpting tool and just mold the starfish strait into the green stuff on the bottom of the pool, kind of like a stamped in relief? The sea urchin may be a bit more tedious if it's the kind with spines. I once toyed around with the idea of using a small bit of green stuff with static grass sticking out for the scale spines,

#14 DSModels

DSModels

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

http://i1275.photobu...zps7ed15914.jpg

I just dropped off and made this fast stamp for green stuff. It's beside a mm ruler so this should be the perfect size for your model. You would just need to trim them out and paint.
If you interested send me a PM with mailing info and I'll send them out to you asap.

#15 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

So maybe it's because I live where there are a lot of beaches and touristy shops about 30 minutes away, but the first thing I thought of was why not see if you can just buy tiny starfish online? Not sure what size you'd need to make the tidal pool, but a couple of quick searches netted some pretty small ones here:

http://www.seashellc...-c-312_327.html

Like I said, random search, so I have no experience with the company, but it was pretty easy to find, so there's probably more if that won't do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users