• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

By now many of you know that I suck at color choices; well my current project isn't helping. Of the 20+ figures, six are wearing sashes and I am having a heck of a time deciding on color choices for them. Of the six, one is wearing Vallejo Model Color (VMC) Russian Uniform coat with VMC Royal Purple cuffs, one is wearing a coat that is in RMS Red Violet Triad colors (cuffs undecided), one is wearing a vest in VMC Oxford Blue, two are wearing shirt sleeves (one warm white, the other ??), the last one is wearing a coat that is a warm/golden brown color. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to keep asking color palette questions.

They [machines] cannot commune with God. Official Fieldarchy fanboy!

#2 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6697 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I tend to stick to strong, somewhat primary colors for things like sashes or other accenting accessories. ^_^

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#3 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I do too, but I am having trouble matching with what I have so far.

#4 Ampersandrew

Ampersandrew

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Of the 20+ figures, six are wearing sashes and I am having a heck of a time deciding on color choices for them.

If it's a sash, it can only be orange :devil:

http://www.sabistyle...cree-Church.jpg
  • DSModels likes this

#5 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Of the 20+ figures, six are wearing sashes and I am having a heck of a time deciding on color choices for them.

If it's a sash, it can only be orange :devil:

http://www.sabistyle...cree-Church.jpg

If we are going to go there, I think I will have stick with green ::P:
  • Ampersandrew likes this

#6 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

I confess, for generating color schemes I use a website.

So to go with the red violets I come up with 09034 Muddy Olive or 09188 Ultramarine Blue since I like using triadic color schemes
  • DSModels likes this

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#7 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

So to go with the red violets I come up with 09034 Muddy Olive or 09188 Ultramarine Blue since I like using triadic color schemes

Thanks. Interesting website. I was thnking of using Ultramarine Blue, so I guess I am starting to get the hang of things.

#8 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Thanks. Interesting website. I was thnking of using Ultramarine Blue, so I guess I am starting to get the hang of things.

I'm a Sims addict. And with Sims three you can color customize everything. So I spend a lot of time making sure my Sims don't clash. :poke:

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#9 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2218 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Black or white might be a strong choice.

#10 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5511 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

You don't happen to have any of these guys partially painted up do you? I kind of have trouble placing all these random colors that I don't know very well together in my head (as there are so many shades and then you also have saturation levels, etc) so I can't really offer any advice outside of when in doubt go neutral as grays and browns will go with about anything.

A trick I do to make sure colors work together is I have one cool shade color and one warm shade color (unless it's something where I only want a cool or warm miniature) and then base all my shading off of those for the whole miniature. I decide what the base is going to be (warm or cool) then use for the accents the cool color (all of them). I've found that by doing this you get kind of a consistent feeling across the whole miniature and it helps take something that stands out and dial it back in. You can look in my WIP thread for the top hat guy I did this with as I think that the yellow I used could have stood out quite a bit if I hadn't done this method.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#11 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Black or white might be a strong choice.

I was thinking of an off (warm) white for the one with the Oxford Blue vest. Thanks

You don't happen to have any of these guys partially painted up do you? I kind of have trouble placing all these random colors that I don't know very well together in my head (as there are so many shades and then you also have saturation levels, etc) so I can't really offer any advice outside of when in doubt go neutral as grays and browns will go with about anything.

A trick I do to make sure colors work together is I have one cool shade color and one warm shade color (unless it's something where I only want a cool or warm miniature) and then base all my shading off of those for the whole miniature. I decide what the base is going to be (warm or cool) then use for the accents the cool color (all of them). I've found that by doing this you get kind of a consistent feeling across the whole miniature and it helps take something that stands out and dial it back in. You can look in my WIP thread for the top hat guy I did this with as I think that the yellow I used could have stood out quite a bit if I hadn't done this method.

All but the two I mentioned in shirt sleeves are WIP (don't actually own those two yet, but I have a plan for them), I will see about posting a pic or two. I too try to keep thing all warm or all cool unless the figure warrents something else.

Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users