• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Wilco

Wilco

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hi Everyone!

I've very recently started painting miniatures. I will soon receive a bunch of miniatures through Kickstarter (not reapers), and figured they will need painting.

So I researched all over the internet for about 2 weeks reading in various forums and watching youtube videos and reviews etc. I then purchased the Reaper Learn to Paint kits along with an Army Painter detail brush and files and have been working through those miniatures. Thus far, I have enjoyed it and the mini's have come out better than I had expected and I plan to increase my painting supplies before my other minis arrive.

I am thinking about purchasing a set of paints and I am trying to decide between the Reaper HD sets (I'd get both #1 and #2) or The Army Painter Mega Set.

The cost between these two options isnt really a factor, the Army painter does include some decent brushes but I can order those seperately and also plan to order a couple of W/n Series 7 brushes no matter which set I go with.

The big thing about Army Painter is their color matched spray primers which sounds good in theory to me, adn what lmiited reviews I could find on their warpaints seem to be positive. On the other hand I've thought that maybe I could pickup an airbrush for $120-$200 and prime my minis with it and then apply a single color of whatever reaper paint I want over it and overtime it would probably be more cost effective then paying for spray cans.

Any thoughts? comments? suggestions?

Thanks.
  • DSModels likes this

#2 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6769 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'd probably go with the Reapers. I mean, you already have Reaper paints from the L2PKs, why change horses now?

Edit to add: I'm using Army Painter brushes, but pains from neither company right now. I have no dog in this fight.

Edited by Last Knight, 10 October 2012 - 12:52 PM.

• DSModels likes this

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#3 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6511 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

I wouldn't be swayed by the colored primers. For the most part those are really only good for ... army painting. They are very good for painting vehicles and army painting where the uniform is primarily all the same color (ACW Confederates and Union troops are excellent examples of this). So ultimately it depends on what you are painting. Unless you are going to do more than just prime with (like actually learn to use it) I wouldn't bother with the airbrush either. Again its great if you are going to do a zenithal style primer (black over everything, then white from directly above) but unless you are going to be priming a lot of miniatures at once its not worth the effort. I don't say that lightly either because I use my airbrushes all the time, but if that's your primary purpose then its a lot of money to outlay for something that won't get much use. For that five - ten minis that you are likely to be priming at once either a your regular rattle cans or brush on primer is fine.

I like the Reaper HD paints a lot and I haven't used the Army Painter stuff at all so I can't really guide you there. I suspect they are very similar just because they are both designed to do the same thing. Reaper MPs are designed for a very thin layer style which is not always the best choice for gaming miniatures.
  • Furongian and DSModels like this
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#4 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4350 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

I use a mixture of Vallejo and Citedel. I may have to try Reaper's paints sometime and see what all the fuss is about. :;):

2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42

Bones II:  #7355

#5 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

I have used the Army Painter primers often and like that they make base coating easier. But they are hugely expensive, more than three times the price for my usual primer (Duplicolor sandable primer). I use AP's primer for a group of minis that are part of a squad. I have not had problems mixing paint that matches the primer color using MSP.
Bones KickStarter Links: http://www.reapermin...kstarter-links/

#6 Atramagus

Atramagus

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

You are on a Reaper forum, mostly populated by people who are fans of the company. Please remember that we may be biased ^_^

I'd say that you should probably go with Reaper paints, especially if you got the kickstarter or would like to work with the inexpensive Bones line at all. I've been very happy with how the paints work, and Reaper has excellent customer service.

Good luck!

#7 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6511 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

You are on a Reaper forum, mostly populated by people who are fans of the company. Please remember that we may be biased ^_^

I'd say that you should probably go with Reaper paints, especially if you got the kickstarter or would like to work with the inexpensive Bones line at all. I've been very happy with how the paints work, and Reaper has excellent customer service.

Good luck!

We all use different paints to achieve different things. If you have a particular paint you love, you are welcome to tell us about it. My regular travel case (you did see that right?) holds Reaper master paints, Reaper HD paints, P3, Citadel (not my favorite brand by any means), Vallejo (Model Color, Game Color, Model Air, Panzer Aces), Liquitex, Windsor Newton (water soluble oils) and some AK-47 Enamels. All of these paints behave differently and each line makes colors or types that are not available in other lines. An excellent example is the transparent colors available in the Vallejo Model Color line. These are specifically designed to be thinned down for washes and glazes. Everyone should have Vallejo Smoke in their paint box!

So yes, we all tend to be a bit Reaper biased ::D: here, but there's no reason you shouldn't try something else. So get a couple of colors of Reaper HD (there is no white or black in the HD line though) and a couple of Army Painter colors and see what you think. The one piece of advice that I give (as do a number of others) is you shouldn't blindly just go out and pick up an entire paint line. You should definitely pick out a few colors (blue, red, and yellows are good choices because they each behave differently) and give them a try before you drop a ton of money on the entire set. Don't worry we won't hold it against you have you happen to like a different paint line than the rest of us. :devil:
  • DSModels likes this
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#8 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 10321 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

Reaper Paints! And I'm totally unbiased. ^_^
  • Lastman, Citrine, Girot and 3 others like this

bryan@reapermini.com

This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

~His High Gameliness, the Most Reverend and Inscrutable, Space Pope Bryanzilla I

#9 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7405 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

I've just started using Reaper paints with my Ogre WIP, but they seem to have a better consistency from bottle to bottle than the Vallejos I've been using. And I really like the integrated agitators, a little detail that makes a lot of difference.

Although my Vallejos were bought from my not-F not-L GS that was just getting rid of them, so I imagine they're ancient. Some are reeally thick. And I imagine ordering the Reaper paints direct has a lot to do with QC there.

I spray prime with Army Painter, and I also use their matte varnish, love both products.
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#10 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12217 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

The Reaper HD paints contain a goodly collection of New Pro Paint (discontinued) colours - though they may not be the exact same formula. However, based on that alone I'd recommend the HD sets.

And I am unbiased, because when I buy paint I buy in big sets - I use Reaper, Partha paints, and Coat D'Arms. The thing with paint brands is that you'll probably use different paints for different things. Generally my figures tend to get a mix of brands, but Reaper is my "most-used".

Clearly any answer will be based mostly on personal opinion and experience, but despite my massive collection of paints (some 400 by now, possibly more) my Reapers almost always deploy first and the others either provide special colours Reaper doesn't have, or brighter colours (Coat D'Arms have extremely powerful pigments), or I use them as additives to the Reapers.

But what it comes down to, in terms of pure use, is that my Reapers get four or five times as much face time as my other brands - so I'd have to recommend the HDs as your first sets.
  • DSModels likes this