Photo

Just curious - Are there lots of new members now?

FAQs forums newbies

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 6840 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Like several other people on these boards, I am a recent addition. I came here through a happy coincidence of timing which subsequently led me to Reaper's Kickstarter, but I gather for a lot of people it was the other way around. The Kickstarter, anyway, seems to have had an effect on the Reaper forums.

I'm sort of curious to know how large an effect the Kickstarter has had. Are the boards noticeably more active now than they were, say, last spring? Are there many new faces? How have things changed? Who are the old-timers, and do they mind us parvenus?

Sorry if I'm being pesty. This wasn't covered in the FAQs.
  • Last Knight and DSModels like this

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#2 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7395 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

I'm a KS immigrant and I talk a lot.

But hopefully my painting contribution balances that a lilbit.
  • Last Knight likes this
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#3 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6697 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

I'm a KS immigrant and I talk a lot.

But hopefully my painting contribution balances that a lilbit.

What he said. I'm also a short timer, I'll be posting in fits and spurts; my work takes me out of the country on a regular basis, without steady internet access.

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#4 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12658 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Closing in on 10 years for me ^_^
  • DSModels likes this
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#5 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2218 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

I rejoined back in January well before the KS. I'm definitely more active now b/c I really want to help keep these a positive place for new and experienced painters alike.
  • psyberwolfe1, Vyr and DSModels like this

#6 recruittons

recruittons

Arch Magi of Figmentia Exchangus

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'm a short-timer as well. Only joined because of the Kickstarter and I wanted to start gathering information on miniature painting, so I figured the forums of the company producing the product I just invested a large amount of duckets into would be a great place to start. So far, I'm loving it here!
  • Last Knight likes this
Posted Image

#7 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5952 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I actually ran the numbers on new members since the time of the start of the KS (I think the post is in the KS discussion thread, but maybe not). There was definitely a jump in membership, and I've noticed a spike in activity in some forum sections (Reaper General and the new KS section), but overall, I think only a handful of those new members have posted much, and fewer still have contributed regularly outside the aforementioned forum areas.

Regardless, I'm sure we're all happy to have all of you new members on board. ::):

~v

Edit: only 6 1/2 years on the forums for me.

Edited by Shakandara, 10 October 2012 - 07:52 PM.

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Look! Auctions!! Buy my stuff!!!

#8 DSModels

DSModels

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Well I have been reading these forums for quite sometime now but have just recently started posting and contributing to the better good ::D: . I can't say it's the KS that brought me in, more the family aspect of the forum. Hopefully I have done some good so far if even a little. I plan on being around for quite some time and if the greater powers are kind to me " I will be at the next Reaper Con".
  • Adrift likes this

#9 Hellcow

Hellcow

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 510 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

I'm a newb - only joined in August because of the KS and my renewed interest in miniature painting. I post in fits and spurts as the mood strikes me but try to be a least semi-regular.
  • Adrift likes this
Every society rests on a barbarian base. The people who don't understand civilization and wouldn't like it if they did. The hitchhikers. The people who create nothing and don't appreciate what others have created for them. Who think civilization is just something that just exists and all they need do is enjoy what they understand of it - luxuries, a high standard of living and easy work for high pay. Responsibilities? Phooey! What do they have government for? - Space Viking H. Beam Piper

#10 metal

metal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm newb, the Bones line got me off my butt to get back into painting. Then along came the KS.

I need to get to painting, photographing, and posting!!!
metal

#11 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

It was the KS that made me join, specifically so I could make the KS Links thread. I stick around because of the exceptionally friendly and funny people. (And Goblins!)
  • Adrift likes this
Bones KickStarter Links: http://www.reapermin...kstarter-links/

#12 recruittons

recruittons

Arch Magi of Figmentia Exchangus

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

@Niranth: You know, going to a new place with some purpose for being there is definitely a great beginning to a forum relationship. Personally, at this point, I could see myself running figure exchanges fairly regularly. I've had a blast getting things together. Although, next time, I might just entirely exclude myself, I think I gave myself a complex trying to feel like I wasn't cheating or something when picking my own painter :lol: I had to settle on numbering everyone and using random.org
Posted Image

#13 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2218 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

That may be the first time anyone has ever admitted to wanting to hang around b/c of goblins.

#14 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2675 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

It's all part of Buglips' plan to transmogrify us into tangerine goblins.
  • Reaperbryan, Adrift and Last Knight like this

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

#15 Exwilly

Exwilly

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 840 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

i was a frequent to the site and forums didn't sign up til august. didn't post till august. so yeh kinda noob.
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FAQs, forums, newbies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users