[GROUP/OPEN]WIP L2PK1

• Please log in to reply
489 replies to this topic

#16 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7154 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

My intention is to follow the printed instructions as closely as possible. I have dozens of other minis (soon to be hundreds, actually I should top a thousand pretty easily by my birthday in April) to practice on.
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#17 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2980 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:19 AM

I notice that Reaper's telling you to drybrush in the base color, rather than a lighter color, which is what I read in other tutorials. What do you think (and others) think?

Reaper also had you done the rat's teeth in white. Other tutorials suggest off-white, and I preferred off-white when doing orc teeth. Again, what's your (and others) opinion?

Well Reaper's advice is good. You can then apply a lighter shade (using less paint on the brush and a light hand) as a further highlight.

The teeth are similar to the eyes, for basic instructions just painting them white and giving them a wash works. For higher standards of finish more is needed, starting with using off-whites.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#18 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Bones Supporter
  • 11125 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

Excellent . . . excellent. I do love me a good WIP, and LTPK WIPs are good to see. I'm actually tackling this again, sorta . . . last order I got the other anhurian and other rat that make up the other half of this pair. My instructions, however, date from the Old Pro Paint Kits so all the colours are different.
Current Bones Count: Total: awaiting recount Painted: 166

#19 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6621 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

I notice that Reaper's telling you to drybrush in the base color, rather than a lighter color, which is what I read in other tutorials. What do you think (and others) think?

Reaper also had you done the rat's teeth in white. Other tutorials suggest off-white, and I preferred off-white when doing orc teeth. Again, what's your (and others) opinion?

Well Reaper's advice is good. You can then apply a lighter shade (using less paint on the brush and a light hand) as a further highlight.

The teeth are similar to the eyes, for basic instructions just painting them white and giving them a wash works. For higher standards of finish more is needed, starting with using off-whites.

Yeah, pretty much everything the OC said. ^_^ Kit 1 is very basic instructions for tabletop quality minis, using basic techniques. Personally, I usually use a bone colored off white for teeth; but the walnut Brown wash did a lot to darken them up properly.

Buglips, I'd love to see your old school LTPK. :-)

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#20 Exwilly

Exwilly

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

it is also preference of the painter with using off whites.
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#21 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Bones Supporter
  • 11125 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Buglips, I'd love to see your old school LTPK. :-)

I don't think I can post the inside instructions, but outside of that here you go:

ltpk1oskool.jpg

ltpk1close.jpg

ltpk2oskool.jpg

ltpk2close.jpg

As you can see, I got a little creative in my interpretation of the instructions (helped that I had colours from a whole Pro Paint set to play with) - but outside of that the result should be very similar to what the new kits produce.

I painted these about six years ago, I think. They actually came with Master Series Paints (I had bought them looking to get Pro Paints), but I held off doing them until I could order a full set of old Pro Paint. In my opinion, the MSP "equivalents" were not very equivalent (probably why you get different colours now). There was actually no way to do those transitional kits and have the result look like the instructions.

By the time I got my Pro Paints, I'd also acquired Kit 4 - and as you can see on these I read the lining instructions and put it straight to work.
  • klawzie, Last Knight and ced1106 like this

#22 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Bones Supporter
  • 11125 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

Incidentally, I'd like to take a minute to celebrate the virtues of Testors Dullcote as a final spray finish. Those minis are at least 6 years done, and have been displayed exposed to air, and have survived a full home renovation with indoor sawing, and poor Laurana checked out the structural integrity of the laminate the hard way . . . and they have never been cleaned of dust, and she remains undamaged.

IMO, there's no question which finishing coat is supreme.

#23 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1981 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

I have to say I've watched this whole experience with interest and will definitely be recommending these paint kits to my friends who have expressed an interest in the hobby.
  • Last Knight likes this

#24 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Bones Supporter
  • 11125 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:46 AM

I have to say I've watched this whole experience with interest and will definitely be recommending these paint kits to my friends who have expressed an interest in the hobby.

The minute - no, wait - the absolute second somebody sees my stuff and says "that's cool" I offer them a paint kit. Unfortunately, the bug is still somewhat slow to catch. But I have the misfortune of having a great number of associates who have no artsy-craftsy type hobbies and remain content to smear my hard work with their powdered-cheese greasefingers.

But I try to pass on the brain slugs figmentia anyways.

ETA: and an hour later, a new LTPK1 has been ordered to my mailbox.
  • Girot and Last Knight like this

#25 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1981 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

I have 1 buddy with the LTPK1 and he's done the Anhurian mini. He's also done another mini, but he's really rushing himself into NMM painting and just doesn't have the basics down yet. Fundamentals are crucial.
  • buglips*the*goblin and Last Knight like this

#26 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Bones Supporter
  • 11125 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Layering; washes; mixing; thinning; drybrushing; brush control

Master these six elements to become wizard of all!

Edited because I forgot an element.
  • Last Knight likes this

#27 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1981 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

In my opinion, whatever that's worth, a painter shouldn't move onto NMM before leaving washes and drybrushing behind.

#28 ClauseRose

ClauseRose

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

I wish I would have known about these when I started. I have 13ish years of formal instruction in art in general, I am best with pencil and pen and ink, and thought that the techniques I learned there would help. It did, but not all that much. So, I have had to figure out almost everything by myself. I have attempted NMM, but I prefer good, old fashioned metallics and can do some pretty cool stuff with them.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

#29 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6621 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

I wish I would have known about these when I started. I have 13ish years of formal instruction in art in general, I am best with pencil and pen and ink, and thought that the techniques I learned there would help. It did, but not all that much. So, I have had to figure out almost everything by myself. I have attempted NMM, but I prefer good, old fashioned metallics and can do some pretty cool stuff with them.

Heh, I could have used these when I first started - I've learned a lot of bad habits in my haphazard approach to painting. But it's never too late t0 start!
  • Adrift likes this

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#30 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Bones Supporter
  • 11125 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

In my opinion, whatever that's worth, a painter shouldn't move onto NMM before leaving washes and drybrushing behind.

Certainly for most applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users