• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 recruittons

recruittons

Arch Magi of Figmentia Exchangus

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Alright, this here is my first ever metal miniature all painted up. I bought it for a friend that is a massive fan of Dragonlance, and that has a special relationship with Tasslehoff.

I loved painting this guy. He has all kinds of little fiddly bits, a neat fur vest, and his leggings and pants had to be bright colors. I also got to try out painting hair, and I think the effect wasn't too bad!

I also got to do some stuff I've never done before for his face. I mixed a tanned flesh color with a rosy pink. I then shaded under the cheekbones with tan paint, as well as the chin, nose, and eyes.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2244.JPG
  • IMG_2242.JPG
  • IMG_2243.JPG

• buglips*the*goblin, Sanael and ub3r_n3rd like this
Posted Image

#2 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

I should probably add "C&C welcome". I'm really trying to improve, so any advice (aside from getting better supplies. I can't afford them just yet :down: ) is definitely something I'd like.
Posted Image

#3 Darius Glenwell

Darius Glenwell

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Very nice work indeed! I would just suggest a smaller base and cropping your pics so we can see the mini better.
  • recruittons likes this
Tom Nelson
Midwest Miniature Guy
http://www.facebook....estminiatureguy

http://www.midwestmi...ureguy.webs.com

"If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?" Bumper sticker on our wall in our basement game room.

http://www.facebook.com/TheSerfs (my band)

#4 Dadcubed

Dadcubed

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1073 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

I think I it's a fantastic first mini! The photos are not amazing so hard to see detail to comment too much. I think the base is too "busy" and detracts from the miniature.

Good job tough, gonna dig out my Dragonlance Chronicles and have a read!
  • recruittons likes this
MiniWars is a new online wargame player, hobbyist and club finder. There are search tools, you can find opponents, clubs, or buddies near you. Get yourself on the map and join the game!

http://miniwars.co.uk

WIP: http://www.reapermin...endeavours-wip/

#5 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

There we go! I managed to dig out the unaltered pics from my SD card and recropped them so the mini was larger and easier to see.

This wasn't my first mini ever, just my first metal mini, so it was a bit different than painting the Bones minis I'm used to. I do agree about the base, though. I was trying too hard to make it impressive, since it was a gift (which she loved when I dropped it off earlier!), but it definitely takes away attention from the mini with how complex it is. Tass might have been better served being based on a simple, barren stretch of road.
  • Dadcubed likes this
Posted Image

#6 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2998 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Working on the idea of improving on producing a display miniature.

1) The base is too distracting. A single large tree trunk and the rock maybe, perhaps with some autumn leaves as "flock" would have allowed you to place the tree behind her and essentially "frame" her by using a dark trunk for contrast.

2) the eyes. Yup I know they are rediculously tiny on halflings but always paint them first and get them right. Humans will always notice strange stuff happening with eyes.

3) The skin looks very flat; you need to paint highlights on it. Look up pictures of people outside (aka naturally lit) ideally on a bright day and check out how much shadow and highlight you see, a mini needs that painted on. Grabbing an LED torch and holding it above the mini can help you see the highlight and shadow points of the model.

4) I do think you produced a good looking Tasselhoff. For a fan your mini is immediately recognisable as everyone's favourite kender (to love or hate). Well done!
  • recruittons likes this
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#7 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12330 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

This miniature is one teeny tiny little dude. I've got him, haven't had at him yet. Did you find metal any harder to work with than Bones?
  • recruittons likes this