31 replies to this topic

#1 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

NOTE: Updated photos on post #23 with 2 elements I reworked. :upside:

Some of you may have seen my WIP thread over in that part of the forum; here is the completed miniature. My vision for Rahl was that in life he was a general of an army so vile that his passing resulted in eternal servitude in hell as an Archdevil. A mockery of his former self, his raw pig-like flesh a testament to his perverse overindulgence in the torture of any passing victim.

Needless to say, this has been a very challenging and demanding miniature; lots of flesh, cloth, and metal. To make matters worse on myself I added the forked tongue using some green stuff; the tongue took me 2 hours just to fashion and get into place between his two dominant top fangs.

C&C always welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rahl final 1.JPG
  • Rahl final 2.JPG
  • Rahl final 3.JPG
  • Rahl final 4.JPG
  • Rahl final 5.JPG

• Kuro Cleanbrush, Silas Coggeshall, Thrym and 5 others like this

#2 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2076 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

He looks like one nasty villain. The paint job is really good; the NMM is especially well done. Great work!
  • Adrift likes this
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#3 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5880 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Love the right-hand blade. Very sharp paintjob. Nice work.

~v
  • Adrift likes this

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

#4 Maglok

Maglok

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 801 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

No C&C at all, the thing is awesome! So bold color usage the combination of them all is very, very nice.
  • Adrift and ub3r_n3rd like this

Glok's Grotto (A gaming blog that I seem to not get bored with!)

Bones kickstarter #1 count: 33

Stonehaven gnomes count: 1

Stoneheaven dwarfs count: 1

#5 Silas Coggeshall

Silas Coggeshall

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Dang you're good... :)
  • Adrift and ub3r_n3rd like this

#6 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

He looks like one nasty villain. The paint job is really good; the NMM is especially well done. Great work!

Thanks! I really need to spiff up my blending of clothing to something more akin to your quality.

#7 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

Damn man, great scene...that right hand blade steals the show for me though.
  • Adrift likes this

#8 Jen

Jen

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 599 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Excellent job! He looks...ever so cranky!
  • Adrift likes this

2014 Stats: 14 painted, 21 purchased. 14/2 - 21 = -14

My painting blog: http://minipainterjen.blogspot.com/

#9 Mistwalker

Mistwalker

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

I was following the WIP with interest.

The finished miniature is very nice.
  • Adrift likes this

#10 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Damn man, great scene...that right hand blade steals the show for me though.

It's very unique, in fact I can't say that I've ever seen another miniature with a weapon of it's like. The blade, combined with the special hilt/decoration made me feel that paying extra close attention to this particular detail was important. I'm glad it does the trick.

#11 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2845 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

I love the flesh, the blue elements & details like the necklace & his scales.

The aqua cloak I'm not sure if the way it looks to me is my eyes, the photo or the mini. As no one else has commented on it I'm going with my eyes, but just in case; I think you have shown the brush skills to have a better looking cloak you just need to spend some time looking at real cloth to get a better feel for how this would highlight and take the time to make that super smooth transition. The big broad flat colour for a highlight just doesn't stand up to the success of other areas of the model for me.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#12 Darius Glenwell

Darius Glenwell

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

I agree with OC there. The mini looks great until you get to the cloak. The highlights don't work for me, especially the one above the tail. It just stops and you can see the brush stroke. The brighter color looks to be the main color you are going for. Which means you should keep the darkest recess as small as possible, then midtones your next smallest, then your main color, then highlight from there. Perhaps a good dark blue wash would help smooth it out a bit. Then rework your blending. Jen Haley feathers her highlights. Try using your brush flattened out a bit when painting larger areas and really feathering in highlights.
Tom Nelson
Midwest Miniature Guy
http://www.facebook....estminiatureguy

http://www.midwestmi...ureguy.webs.com

"If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?" Bumper sticker on our wall in our basement game room.

http://www.facebook.com/TheSerfs (my band)

#13 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

I agree with you guys on the cloak, it was the most frustrating and annoying part for me. I may go back and work on it some more after I get done with my Halloween diorama!
  • Darius Glenwell likes this

#14 Exwilly

Exwilly

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

it would of been funny if his tail was grabbing the other sword. but awesome adrift i need to get him and add him as a demon prince into an army im making.
  • Adrift likes this
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#15 recruittons

recruittons

Arch Magi of Figmentia Exchangus

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Maybe in a decade or two I'll be this good. That's all I can say. His skin and weaponry are both gorgeous.
  • Adrift likes this
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 14436, Rahl, Duke of Pain, Archdevil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users