ObsidianCrane

02025: Kain Swiftblade

20 posts in this topic

This miniature was painted for use as a PC model. Unfortunately my work transfered me away from my players and so I had no motivation to finish the mini until I started on my current spree of painting.

post-7660-0-28873100-1350182563.jpg

post-7660-0-05982200-1350182568.jpg

post-7660-0-91430500-1350182577.jpg

post-7660-0-11376600-1350182573_thumb.jpg

7 people like this

great eyes, jewels and especially sword effect! Love the color choices on the shield.

Nice. I have the same mini, you've given me some ideas.

Way to go with venturing to NMM for the sword blade! Everything is clean, crisp and the gemstones are looking very gem-like.

Neat. I've got this guy too. Also a weird version of him I've not seen in a catalog (I think I have two Reapers like this, not sure how they came about).

Gold trim is a nice touch.

There's one of him with a sword and dagger, right? I have that one.

On the topic at hand, nice work! I really like the model and the paint job!

Nope, actually I just solved the mystery. I have Kain Swiftblade, the dude you're talking about (Garath Hawkblade) , and this dude:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/2033/sku-down/02033#detail/02033_G

But if you go through the pictures you'll see the primed mini and the painted mini are different - and mine matches the painted variant. Because the painted variant wasn't there when I tried to ID him, I was left with a puzzle.

So I guess he's Sir Falkirk Nobleheart.

Is gold trim like this normally done by drybrushing? (Feel really dumb asking that :blink:)

It could be, but I just paint it.

An easy way to do it is paint the gold trim first and then paint up to it with the silver, then with a steady hand you may only need to do small touch ups of the gold if any.

Really have to work on my brush control! Have a figure with a necklace which I painted around and was wondering how I was going to do. Maybe I'll try it both ways. Trim like this right now makes me very jealous because I haven't gotten that far yet. Guess I better get going.

Keep in mind I've been painting off and on for more than 20 years! Brush control is something I've long had, what I've lacked is paint control & patience (or time to some degree).

Because I paint in fits and spurts there is still a lot of technique I need to master.

Clearly I can do better than tabletop, but that time thing keeps coming back to bite me. So most minis just don't get the level of love this guy has had.

When I need to paint something that is very fine (like a necklace) a trick I learnt long ago was to interlock the lower fingers of my hands and hold the bottom of the heel of my palms together. It makes any shaking happen in synch. These days I do detail with the heels of my palms touching and the tips of my middle fingers pressing against each other, and for when real steady hands are needed I rest my hands on the desk as well, this cuts shaking out entirely. The problem is that 2 hours of doing this leads to sore hands these days...

2 people like this

Very Nice! The Armor looks great. Your work here proves that Metallics if done correctly, look way more real than NMM. Even though I do like the Magical effect of the NMM on the sword, I think you could have stuck with metallics for that also or at least base metallic and then adding some glazes of the blue and re-highlighting.

I would not worry to much about painting at another level unless you really want to reach that goal. I think your work on this mini is High End Table top at least and could look nice as well sitting on a shelf for display. I consider most of my work High End table top even some of the stuff I have entered in contests or have done for display pieces on commission. If your happy with it then that is all that matters.

Really nice work, gives me something to aspire to. I'm curious about the backside of the shield, is that freehand or was the wood grain part of the sculpt? I had toyed with the idea of using some green stuff to add this look to the back of a shield recently...