• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3024 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

This miniature was painted for use as a PC model. Unfortunately my work transfered me away from my players and so I had no motivation to finish the mini until I started on my current spree of painting.

2012-10-14 12.10.25.jpg
2012-10-14 12.10.44.jpg
2012-10-14 12.11.21.jpg
2012-10-14 12.11.10.jpg
  • buglips*the*goblin, Metalchaos, Thrym and 4 others like this
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#2 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2186 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

great eyes, jewels and especially sword effect! Love the color choices on the shield.
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#3 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 3030 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Nice. I have the same mini, you've given me some ideas.

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

SHAZAM! 

And now, of course, with your puny undecorated armor and tiny insignificant weapon, let alone crummy non-display base, what chance do you stand against me? I have a throne! I have a skull under my boot! My sword is fancy! - Dragoth the Defiler

#4 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1268 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

There is nothing about this mini I DON'T like! Outstanding work.

They [machines] cannot commune with God. Official Fieldarchy fanboy!

#5 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2577 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

Way to go with venturing to NMM for the sword blade! Everything is clean, crisp and the gemstones are looking very gem-like.

#6 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12353 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

Neat. I've got this guy too. Also a weird version of him I've not seen in a catalog (I think I have two Reapers like this, not sure how they came about).

Gold trim is a nice touch.
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#7 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11547 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

There's one of him with a sword and dagger, right? I have that one.

On the topic at hand, nice work! I really like the model and the paint job!

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#8 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12353 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

Nope, actually I just solved the mystery. I have Kain Swiftblade, the dude you're talking about (Garath Hawkblade) , and this dude:

http://www.reapermin...#detail/02033_G

But if you go through the pictures you'll see the primed mini and the painted mini are different - and mine matches the painted variant. Because the painted variant wasn't there when I tried to ID him, I was left with a puzzle.

So I guess he's Sir Falkirk Nobleheart.
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#9 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3024 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

All 3 are in one blister; DHL Classics: Fighters
http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/03319

#10 Miar

Miar

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:56 AM

Is gold trim like this normally done by drybrushing? (Feel really dumb asking that :blink:)

Interest in Bones trading (On Boardgamegeek as Miar)

#11 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3024 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

It could be, but I just paint it.

An easy way to do it is paint the gold trim first and then paint up to it with the silver, then with a steady hand you may only need to do small touch ups of the gold if any.

#12 Miar

Miar

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Really have to work on my brush control! Have a figure with a necklace which I painted around and was wondering how I was going to do. Maybe I'll try it both ways. Trim like this right now makes me very jealous because I haven't gotten that far yet. Guess I better get going.

Interest in Bones trading (On Boardgamegeek as Miar)

#13 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3024 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

Keep in mind I've been painting off and on for more than 20 years! Brush control is something I've long had, what I've lacked is paint control & patience (or time to some degree).

Because I paint in fits and spurts there is still a lot of technique I need to master.

Clearly I can do better than tabletop, but that time thing keeps coming back to bite me. So most minis just don't get the level of love this guy has had.

When I need to paint something that is very fine (like a necklace) a trick I learnt long ago was to interlock the lower fingers of my hands and hold the bottom of the heel of my palms together. It makes any shaking happen in synch. These days I do detail with the heels of my palms touching and the tips of my middle fingers pressing against each other, and for when real steady hands are needed I rest my hands on the desk as well, this cuts shaking out entirely. The problem is that 2 hours of doing this leads to sore hands these days...
  • Gailbraithe and Last Knight like this

#14 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

Very Nice! The Armor looks great. Your work here proves that Metallics if done correctly, look way more real than NMM. Even though I do like the Magical effect of the NMM on the sword, I think you could have stuck with metallics for that also or at least base metallic and then adding some glazes of the blue and re-highlighting.

I would not worry to much about painting at another level unless you really want to reach that goal. I think your work on this mini is High End Table top at least and could look nice as well sitting on a shelf for display. I consider most of my work High End table top even some of the stuff I have entered in contests or have done for display pieces on commission. If your happy with it then that is all that matters.

#15 Tranquil Ape

Tranquil Ape

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Really nice work, gives me something to aspire to. I'm curious about the backside of the shield, is that freehand or was the wood grain part of the sculpt? I had toyed with the idea of using some green stuff to add this look to the back of a shield recently...
-------------------------------------
Formerly known as "D"rayla

My CMON gallery

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fighter, sword, shield, male

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users