5 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I thought I would try a W.I.P. for this mini to get some feedback and suggestions along the way. I'm still trying to figure out a color scheme for this guy so any suggestions would be welcome! Fredo is a Bard with a hint of Cleric. He's a charmer and a bit of a ladies man. In our campaign he constantly tells stories about the time he slept with an angel and his favorite pastimes are doing useless flips and somersaults as well as jamming out on his piccolo.
I started with the hardest part. The face! I tried a bit of a variation on the Bette Davis Eyes technique and I think it turned out pretty well (as long as you don't look at it under the magnifier *shudder*).
Any suggestions on a cool color scheme for Fredo again would be very welcome as well as any comments and tips before I start painting again!
"Well... I'm knocked out again. Can someone please revive me before I die?" -Fredo
One of MrBoot's coworkers found out that I painted minis (apparently my husband has been, ah, talking about my skills at work ), and wanted to know if I would be willing to take a commission for his player character. He provided the figure, a Wizkids male elf sorcerer, with a neat translucent fireball spell effect surrounding one hand, as well as his character's background and some details he'd like. I asked some clarifying questions about color scheme and the base and such, as well as explained generally how much different paint job qualities would be. He opted for my "deluxe" level, which includes freehand details and a nice base, since he expects this character to stick around for awhile.
His character is a half-gold dragon pyromancer, with "subtle patches of gold scales on his skin" and "gold eyes with red flecks" (I could not manage the red flecks, but did manage to get a wee bit of gold in there), as well as a "cloak with a subtle dragon scale pattern" (my suggestion to him, since he wasn't sure what he wanted on the cloak).
I found this mini both a lot of fun and terribly frustrating to paint; the details were muddy or missing in some places while being oddly sharp in others, and trying to work around the cloak and staff were at times irritating. Also, I don't know what kind of plastic the thing's made out of, but it half-murdered my hand trying to remove the integrated base so I could re-base it. But I eventually finished it, and I have to say I'm really quite happy with how it turned out! Especially the fire, I took a chance on doing a couple ink glazes/washes to preserve the translucency, and it worked out exactly like I'd hoped it would!
The base is from Secret Weapon Miniatures.
Anyways, enough wordy stuff, here's the pictures!
The lighting is darker in this one because I was trying to capture the proper color of the cloak. It's slightly more orange in person, and not quite as bright. The patch of scales on the back of his hand is visible here (I used metallic paint so it's actually shiny).
And here's some close-ups of his face; you can see the shiny patch of scales on his cheek more clearly here, as well as the dot of gold in his eye.
Colors used: (this is mostly for my own records)
P3 Red ink
P3 Yellow ink
Dragon Bronze (so shiny!)
Big top red
New things I tried on this piece:
*Eyebrows - those things were stupidly hard to get right, I ended up redoing them like 4 times
*Freehand - I kinda just...figured out the scale pattern as I went. It's not great, but not as terrible as my usual attempts at freehand, so I'm okay with it. I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did, given that I was annoyingly shaky when I was trying it, but I was down to the wire and didn't have time to wait until I was steadier
*Painting a translucent surface - I made a thin wash/glaze with P3 ink, Brush-on sealer, wash medium, and a little water. I wish I'd written down the proportions of each I used, since the resulting mixture worked great!
He was SO happy with it when MrBoot gave it to him today that he paid me extra! Which was quite nice, since after I was a good part of the way through painting it I realized I had rather undercharged him for the level of detail he'd requested (I'd charged $35, thinking I'd have it done in about 7 hours), and I actually ended up giving him what I would consider a $50 paint job anyways.
So overall, for my second commission, it was a very positive experience!
Yet another speed paint, this one pretty much human sized. I'm thinking of using this one in a Frostgrave warband. It's not exactly human, but I think that works in the setting (there are beast crafters after all). If I do decide to use it in a warband I think I'll have to base it on something standard.
I made more progress on my Zombicide Survivors. Here is number 4: Amy. I wasn't comfortable with painting up the fishnets from the artwork, so I went with lite pink. Otherwise I went for close to art work. As with my other models, I went with no blood on the survivors. Only problem is the blade couldn't be straightened perfectly, but she is for gaming, so good enough.
Here is Amy:
Thanks for looking and any C&C you feel like giving.
Who's Online 9 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)