Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MRyka

60015, Kyra, female iconic cleric

5 posts in this topic

My favorite character, my cleric of Sarenrae. Being a cleric of the "Dawnflower," I always imagined her in oranges and reds and yellows. The painted fig from Pathfinder just didn't jibe with my mental image of her.

This is one of my first painted figs. Please offer constructive feedback so I can improve.

post-8511-0-46037200-1350253493_thumb.jpg

post-8511-0-18755100-1350431402_thumb.jpg

post-8511-0-80110900-1350431412_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Very Nice. Great brush control and very good color choices. You did a good job with the eyes as well. I wish the photo was clearer though. It is just a bit blurry. Keep up the good work and welcome to the wonderful world of miniature painting.

Yah, we are new to this and have to work on our photos. This is by far my best fig. I think it's because I've played her for a few years and know the sculpt inside and out. She's great inspiration.

Very Nice. Great brush control and very good color choices. You did a good job with the eyes as well. I wish the photo was clearer though. It is just a bit blurry. Keep up the good work and welcome to the wonderful world of miniature painting.

Seconded.

Based on what I see my constructive feedback is keep doing what you are doing!

As far as improving keep in mind the material you are painting. Fabrics have softer highlights and shadows than metals.

That's all I've got.

Awesome job!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gargs
      Kobolds!  Who doesn't love the cute little guys?

So these guys were a really quick paint job for my ongoing Pathfinder campaign, and I know what you're thinking.  "Gargs, that sorceror is purple!" True, he is, but that's he is described in the module.  :)

Anyway, for a quick paint job at my relatively newbie level, I'm actually pretty happy with these guys.  In retrospect, I probably should have chosen a different color for the shirt on the sorceror, but honestly, wasn't sure what would contrast well with his dark skin.  Any thoughts for future reference?

Eventually, I may go back and add some OSL to the sorceror as well, but trying to tackle two different flame effects was definitely a bit intimidating to me and I wanted to get them done in time for game day.  Biggest fear I had was trying to figure out the color of the OSL effect given that the flames are made up of multiple colors themselves.

Anyway, as always any comments, critiques, advice, etc. are always appreciated!  Thanks for looking!
    • By Gargs

Next up in my painting journey for my current Pathfinder game.  The Stag Lord, a.k.a. the first Big Bad that the party will encounter (likely at the next session, so I may need to speed up the painting process near the end to get him done).  This is also proving to be my first "Moby Dick" mini, or perhaps "Murphy's Law" if you prefer.  When I first opened him up, I learned that he was missing his bow arm.  While it's certainly plausible he'll lose that arm when he encounters the PCs, it seemed a bit premature to me.  :)  Fortunately, Reaper Customer Service is awesome and even though it was months after I had placed the order, they still replaced the entire mini for free, which is doubly awesome since as a newbie painter I don't have a lot of random extra bits lying about for basing materials, conversions, etc., so getting a full package was pretty sweet (even though I'd have been thrilled with just the one missing piece).

Next thing I noticed as I assembled this guy was that he required a lot of gap filling.  The helm was a rather loose fit and the cloak didn't really line up in back either.  Ironically, this actually didn't bother me much since i saw it as a chance to practice my gap filling which I have not had to do too much of to date.  So with that out of the way, I set about priming and getting the base coat on the skin done.

Can't really see it here, but I then noticed a weird issue on the skin.  For some reason, the paint on his skin began to crack.  This is puzzling to me as I am not sure what could be causing it.  I had used the same bottle of paint very recently (like less than a week ago) with no problems.  Any thoughts on what could have caused it?  I've gone over it with another coat and will see how it holds up, but hopefully he won't need a Simple Green Bath.  That said, I'm open to suggestions here.  

The initial plan from here is to go with kind of a dirty bone look on the helm, gray for the cloak, and Coal Black for the armor pieces.  Haven't quite decided what to do with the leggings yet, but I'm thinking possibly a darker brown, but I am very much open to suggestions as I freely acknowledge I only have a basic grasp (if that) of color theory.  

Anyway, thanks for looking and please feel free to provide C&C as I go.  I am always looking for pointers, tips, etc. as I continue to slowly improve to a somewhat passable state.  :)  Ultimately I will be aiming for Table Top quality which I don't think I will have too much trouble achieving (well my version of TT anyway).  
    • By Werewolvians
      So what class would a Undead Hunter be? Paladin?

• By hdclearman
      This has been sitting on the self of shame for a while.  Decided to pull it down and use it to test a color scheme that I want to use for a different model.

Looking or feedback.  I wanted a somewhat traditional look, but switched up some tans where I normally see whites or blacks.

• By Auberon
      I haven't done a WIP here in a while, except for the occasional exchange piece, so I decided to give one a go and see if I keep up with it.  Those of you that follow the "Getting to Know Each Other" thread will remember this piece, but for the rest here's a quick recap.  We were asked to try something new.  As I don't sculpt I decided to try my hand at something simple.  Enter the Master Series Ellen Stone that I received in the Secret Sophie exchange.  While she is a hot cowgirl, she is unfortunately not wearing a hot cowgirl shirt.  I made her one, though I did run into a bit of a problem.  You see, Ellen has a bandana wrapped around her neck and I thought I could work around it.  Turns out that I couldn't (though an expert would have likely managed), and so she ended up with the collar on one side being a bit off.  She's still good enough to paint and experiment with so here we go.

This is what Ellen looks like after a bit of green stuff.  You can see where the knot on the bandana got in my way.  I should have pressed the collar down a bit more as well, but live and learn.

and here is why.  Proper style of shirt.

I considered it likely that the hat would get in the way of painting her eyes so I left it off to start.  I also added three buttons onto her shirt.  They are heroic scale buttons, which is why they are a little larger than normal.

So i started with blocking in a lot of the colors just to cover the white primer.  Her duster is an excuse to try out the Scalecolor Fantasy & Games line of paint that I picked up a few months back.  First impression - Blackert Brown is not a good color for basecoating, even over plain white.  It took a few too many coats for solid coverage.  With a good bit of the primer covered I moved on to  the eyes.  You can always make a pretty good argument that zenithal lighting + hat = no dots in the eyes but it seems to be the thing to do with minis.  I guess everyone now is just used to seeing stage lighting and camera flashes (as the girl above).  Of course, tiny white dots never end up in the right place on the first attempt.

So we have to fix them.  I touched up a few places while I was at it.  Turns out that my old basecoating brush doesn't have quite the point that it used to.  It still holds a lot of paint but the precision isn't there anymore.

One last thing to do before attaching her hat is to get some color on her face.  I put a shadow directly under the brim but did the cheeks and below in a fairly standard manner.  Her face needs some more work but I decided it was good enough to stop and attach her hat.  With the eyes done I seem to be able to reach the rest, and I don't want to call her face "done" and then screw it up gluing the last piece on.

I don't have any major plans for tomorrow (beyond continuing to watch basketball) so I expect to make some good progress.
  • Who's Online   46 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)