• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

So the lovely Pumpkin Golem (that I didn't even know existed until yesterday) made me curious. I tried browsing the store, but starting from ground zero in terms of knowledge it's a completely daunting task. What I'd appreciate is some suggestions for minis available here in the Reaper store that are super unique, unusual, yes, even weird. I love the standard fantasy stuff, but that's not what I'm not interested in here. I'd like to get a look at what kinds of really cool things you've found that are currently buyable from Reaper. PLEASE don't show me awesome stuff I can't buy, this thread is for adding to my wishlist for Christmas :-)

I know it's difficult to choose one, but I'm thinking maybe your top three personal favorite weird things would be good. I appreciate any suggestions, thanks!
  • OneBoot likes this

#2 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 4539 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

What sort of weird are you looking for?

There's Edna, the Crazy Cat Lady: http://www.reapermin...na/latest/50235

I kind of like this dryad morphing from a tree, although I'm not sure she's that weird: http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/14479

This is a very creepy monster, a skeletal child with a dog's skull and a teddy bear: http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/60125
  • OneBoot likes this

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Any sufficiently advanced technology you don't understand is indistinguishable from magic you don't understand."
-- Richard Garfinkle

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#3 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5883 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

Just suck it up and go through all the lines, page by page. :;):

Seriously though, it is worth spending the time to go through all the stuff. There is a lot of coolness out there. But in the spirit of your request, here's a quick 3 off the top of my head. These aren't necessarily weird, just more of "this is unique to Reaper". The first one has a heavy dose of personal bias. ^_^

1. 3370 - Crymorian warrior
2. 14106/30016 - The Dark Maiden (take your pick of versions; I like them both)
3. 14234 - Guardian Beast of Aurellius

~v
edited to include links

Edited by Shakandara, 15 October 2012 - 08:10 AM.

• Adrift likes this

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

#4 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

To Pingo, anything you find weird or unique. I purposely left it ambiguous because I'm looking for a collection of wildly different ideas to put on my wishlist, and I thought the best way to do that was ask for random selections of awesome from the people here. Those were very cool, and all quite different, so thanks.

To Shakandra, I'm sure I will go through all of them at some point, but between the Reaper and Bombshell KS's coming I was more looking for random craziness now so I can get my list for Christmas finished up. Also great selections, so thank you as well.

#5 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14210 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

I'd start with Wiebe's miniatures. He does a ton of monsters and most of them have amazing personality and little details that you may miss on first glance. Like his Hill Giant having initials carved in the tree truck he wields as a club, or the Wereshark having a squid in his hand as a snack, etc.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#6 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6238 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Type "Aberration" in the search engine. Good start that.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#7 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3992 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

I personally like Roderic and Glitter. Awesome sculpt, very fun to paint, and very unique. The very concept of a halfling paladin on a gold dragon is awesome. Derek did an awesome job on this sculpt and really captured emotion in this piece. It is one of the few pieces that I have painted just because it was fun and not because it would have any use in a game.

Oh, and the Hydra of Pure Awesomeness. I've seen a lot of hydras in my day, but Sandra redefined them with this sculpt.

Andy

Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com 

#8 Shakandara

Shakandara

• Black Lightning
  • 5883 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Part Deux:

4. 2843 - Undead Mindflayer
5. 2908 - Undead Ooze
6. 2598 - Tiki Golem

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

#9 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 8642 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Snow Goons, anyone?
  • psyberwolfe1, captenglish, CashWiley and 1 other like this

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#10 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2042 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

I like the not-an-aboleth...I mean 65102: Goroloth

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

#11 Lastman

Lastman

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

This thread is full of inspiration for the Halloween painting contest!
  • Adept Legacy likes this

#12 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

What sort of weird are you looking for?

I kind of like this dryad morphing from a tree, although I'm not sure she's that weird: http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/14479

This is a very creepy monster, a skeletal child with a dog's skull and a teddy bear: http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/60125

My wife bought me Edna last christmas and she is awesome! I am actually kind of afraid to paint her for fear of mucking up such a cool sculpt!

They [machines] cannot commune with God. Official Fieldarchy fanboy!

#13 Shakandara

Shakandara

• Black Lightning
  • 5883 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Part Drei:

7. 3356 - Pumpkin Horrors
8. 14501 - Scuttlebones
9. 50039 - Gug

~v
  • CashWiley likes this

Shakandara.com

#14 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Those pumpkin horrors are pretty cool, I will leave my thoughts on Gug to my self :blush: :blush: ::P: :lol:
  • thatguywiththeface, Grimreaper71 and CorallineAlgae like this

They [machines] cannot commune with God. Official Fieldarchy fanboy!

#15 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3235 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

I just placed an order for her like five minutes ago and tacked on an extra 12 cats. I'll be putting her on a "swarm" base. :devil:

Snow Goons, anyone?

DAMN YOU! Now I have to come up with another excuse to place another order.
  • Adrift and Adept Legacy like this
Active Events: Lysette | Dragons 2013 | Bad Boys | TMBG 2014 | WX14 | RC Songs |
Click this link to my gallery! I need the hits! ::P: | 2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 23

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users